There is no way around this? I have searched and some say if you plug your phone into the laptop while connected to the network the BES is apart of, you won't have this problem.

But I am never in my office... there has to be a way around this. There are going to be so many updates to the Storm and I can't keep bothering people to reactivate my email.

Anyone know anything that can be done?
    12-19-08 11:56 AM
    I'm running into the same thing... IT guys are getting sick of seeing me... LOL

Don't think there's any work around. Just has to be done.
    12-19-08 11:59 AM
    I figured that was the case. I hate to be annoying, but I hate to pass up a new OS.

Some decisions are so difficult! haha

But I seriously think this is something RIM needs to acknowledge.
    12-19-08 12:08 PM
    When I upgraded to the official .75 release - I did not need to reactivate as it was pushed from the BES.

When you upgrade to the leaks or if you wipe first - you will have to reactivate
    12-19-08 12:09 PM
    Just space the reactivations out... If your OS is running fine then just wait for the official.

The IT department just plays WoW all day anyway... they need something to do.
    12-19-08 12:10 PM
    Lol they playing WoW all day... That sounds like they must be busting their ***

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 12:12 PM
    I'm tired of hassling my IT folks too so I'm only going to do the OS updates it the general opinion is that it's a significant upgrade.

I'm one of the lucky ones whose phone works fine, although the folded business card trick did make a HUGE difference
    12-19-08 12:14 PM
    along the same lines, i don't mind re-activating, but...

each time i've upgraded, messages received during that hour or so process never show up on the BB, even after re-activating and a forced reconcile.

should i be pausing users in BES before upgrading?
    12-19-08 12:16 PM
    My IT dept. is going to Kill ME! its kinda funny actually. Any how. I will upgrade to .83 when i get home tonight and have em hook it up one last time. Then i guess i will wait till we get the real updates from verizon. VERY annoying but well worth it. I LOVE my first Blackberry!
    12-19-08 12:32 PM
    I just realized that i went from .65 to .75 without losing my BES... so maybe it isn't something that happens every time?

Next time I will just hold off to see if other people had to reactivate.
    12-19-08 12:51 PM
    I didn't have to reactive through BES when I upgraded mine through verizon's official update.
    12-19-08 12:55 PM
    I didnt wipe and it reactivated mine automatically after .83 update.

Other updates I wiped handheld, and had to reset up my BES account.
    12-19-08 01:07 PM
    If you have 2 computers I found a way to get around having IT reactivate.
    I use one computer to do all my updates, that DM is set to Internet service.
    My work computer has DM on it set to Enterprise.
    So what you is backup whatever you want, wipe(or not) your handheld, do upgrade on DM(internet setup)
    After upgrade all you have to do is run DM(Enterprise setup) connect Blackberry and it will activate you after a few minutes. You do not have to stay connected long, just long enough that activation starts.
    12-19-08 01:50 PM
    Yeah, you have to reactivate with BES every time you do an OS update. It is unfortunate but as turboser stated if you are on the network and if your DM is connected to the messaging system then upon connecting your BB to the PC once activation kicks off you should be able to disconnect and it'll finish activation. that way you don't have to hit up your IT dept every time.
    12-19-08 01:57 PM
    Just space the reactivations out... If your OS is running fine then just wait for the official.

Says who? I actually do IT work at my job. I don't have time to play games...
    12-19-08 01:57 PM
    Says who? I actually do IT work at my job. I don't have time to play games...
    Referring to my company, big guy...
    12-19-08 02:02 PM
    My BES doesn't need Enterprise Re-Activation anymore. My IT folks set some parameters to allow me to automatically activate upon new OS installs. And they've given me a password unique to me that allows me to manually do it if necessary.

on .76 and now .83 it just came on by itself and "activated" very fast. Like 11 minutes and I was done. And my Outlook has "lots of contacts" in it.

Awesome to me.
    12-19-08 02:07 PM
    My apologies, I thought that was a general statement.

My BES doesn't need Enterprise Re-Activation anymore. My IT folks set some parameters to allow me to automatically activate upon new OS installs. And they've given me a password unique to me that allows me to manually do it if necessary.
    That's actually a pretty good idea. There's no way I'd give someone a "static password" though so that users can activate BB's on their own. If someone got their hands on that information it could get ugly.
    12-19-08 02:09 PM
    i actually did play wow when i worked in IT... =D

sadly, i do more programming work now and don't have enough free time to play wow while on the job
    12-19-08 02:11 PM
    When you all say reactivate with BES, do you mean you have to call IT to come and get your phone to receive work email and security settings again?

The reason I ask is because I have done a clean wipe (just now to .83) and an upgrade to .76 with the standard way and both times I just plugged my phone in and I was back in business. I had all previous emails, access to the BES and what not. Maybe it's dependent on the company or something?
    12-19-08 02:22 PM
    you did it the right way I guess.
    12-19-08 02:23 PM

Which leads to the question, which is worse?

Crackberry addicts stalking the forums for the latest Storm OS updates (with marginal gains) or IT Guys playing WoW all day lol. I'm an IT guy and a Berry addict, fortunately i can do my own activations since I'm also the BES Admin.

What actually ticks me off are users who brick their devices thinking they know what they're doing. Then they come to me playing dumb and saying "I don't know what happened, I turned it on and nothing" lol. All the while I'm thinking, ya dumbazz haha.
    Last edited by 3rd_Collective; 12-19-08 at 04:37 PM.
    12-19-08 02:30 PM
    I must be doing something different. I did the .65 to .75 upgrade and that required me to call my IT to get BES re-activated. I would hate to have to call em again if I want to play with .83 or the official release when it comes out.
    12-19-08 02:38 PM
    It takes them 2 seconds set a password for activation. Tell them to quit being lazy and just to do it. In the end its their job.
    12-19-08 03:45 PM
    im sorry to ask but what is bes? and what does it do? i upgraded my .65 to .76 and everything seems to work fine. please educate me.
    12-19-08 04:20 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD