so ive been reading through alot of threads and most of them have responces saying you need an OS update blahblahblah. i just got my first ever blackberry (the storm) 2 days ago. i have no clue what an OS update is and i dont even know if i need one im just trying to learn about the basics if no one has the time to explain it can someone atleast point me in the direction of a wensite that will explain everything to me?

thanks
    12-26-08 01:01 AM
    os update is like windows xp being updated to windows xp service pack 1.
    12-26-08 01:03 AM
    Oh ok so its like just an upgrade for your phone. OH K! but now how do i know if i need an upgrade? and will downloading an upgrade cause my phone any harm? will it be different? and how does one even download an upgrade?
    12-26-08 01:05 AM
    OS refers to the phones operating system the storm latest OS is .75 which you can find by going into option and than click about on your Verizon 9530 Storm.
    12-26-08 01:05 AM
    An OS update, updates your operating system. And most of the time makes the device more stable. And fixs bugs, lag issues, has better memory management. And other things. Defiantly worth updating your OS..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 01:06 AM
    Well now that is the million dollar question. You see there are official OS's and leaked OS's.

If you are not familiar with the update process I would say stick with the official for now. You will always have time and chances to use leaked OS's.

Also it would be good to read up on some of the threads in the FAQ section located HERE

Also remember to use search and also ask questions if you are not able to find it in your search. You will get to be a guru in no time!
    12-26-08 01:08 AM
    ok so it says v4.7.0.75 is that what your refering to? and whats the latest version, because i hear theres a .85 thats about to be released. how would i download that?
    12-26-08 01:08 AM
    OK .75 is the official from VZW. There is a leaked version .83 which is VZW based also but may or may not be the next official.

There is also a nice stick from CX which covers how to do an update. Also the Storm forum has its own FAQ section.
    12-26-08 01:11 AM
    The storm wiki site has lots of info on this you can get there from here
    BlackBerry Storm Wiki: The BlackBerry Storm Wiki with all the information you want to know! He has download links and directions so you dont have to wade through anything. Check your software and see if it is 75 or 65 if 65 update if 75 leave it alone and keep reading the posts. I hope that helps.

Abigfish
    12-26-08 01:16 AM
    The storm wiki site has lots of info on this you can get there from here
    BlackBerry Storm Wiki: The BlackBerry Storm Wiki with all the information you want to know! He has download links and directions so you dont have to wade through anything. Check your software and see if it is 75 or 65 if 65 update if 75 leave it alone and keep reading the posts. I hope that helps.

Abigfish
    Yeah that is a good resource! I keep forgetting about it. I think we need to get a sticky in the FAQ sub forum for that link!
    12-26-08 01:20 AM
    i would stick with .75
    there has been alot of complaints about the .83 update. so if your device is running fine right now i would say wait for an official verizon update.
    12-26-08 01:32 AM
    and i could always just check by clicking on the wireless upgrade option on my phone right? AND THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP. the blackberry storm wiki really answered a ton of my questions.
    12-26-08 01:39 AM
    Yes the OTA update will only show official updates that are a new build then what you use.

Also on the .83 comment, I beg to differ on that. I been running .83 since the night it was leaked. I had had 0 and I mean 0 problems with it after I did the first battery pull after the update the showed the VZW screen. It has been one of the best running builds to date.

You also need to remember to take all the complaints about something on this forums and any other forum with a grain of salt. Not every that says they know what they are doing actually knows what they are doing.

I could be one of those people also just to prove my point.

This is not to make this thread about is .83 better or worse than .75. Everybody has an opinion and most times it goes with whatever you favorite saying is about people and opinions.

Enjoy the Storm. You will see in time what is best for you and what is not. The FAQ sections on this site is a really good way to get a solid foundation about Blackberry devices, RIM, device issues, and also carrier specific issues.

Like I said before enjoy the Storm, you will love it. Think about what you want to do and how to do and you will have very few problems if any.
    12-26-08 01:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD