sorry for the fairly noob question,i have my 2nd bb storm(due to some mishapps of my phone and a wall) which is under warranty.it has the os .148 installed on it and i was looking into upgrading to the .151,would doing that void it or would it be ok?
    08-07-09 12:31 AM
    Yes it would void your warranty, but if for whatever reason you need a warranty replacement, you could easily downgrade back to the official .148.
    08-07-09 12:41 AM
    savio is correct. Make sure that before you change your OS you know how to roll it back if needed.
    08-07-09 12:43 AM
    I was under the impression it would NOT void the warranty. VZW would not support it because its not the official OS they approved, but the warranty is not voided just because you load a different OS on it. If you did have to take it to the store for warranty service you could always downgrade the OS to .148 anyways.
    08-07-09 01:16 AM
    That is what we are saying
    08-07-09 01:17 AM
    ty all for the helpful info.i just wanted to make sure it would be possiable to rollback to old os if needed.i have heard that the .151 is a better os and runs so much smother the the .148.can anyone confirm this that has the .151 os?
    08-07-09 01:59 AM
    Technically, the warranty is not voided with an OS upgrade. But, in effect, it's voided because VZW can refuse to work on it if it has .151, as others above have said. This comment generally refers to instances when you take it to a store for a problem. Some folks here at CB have had their Storm replaced and sent back the "broken" Storm with an unofficial OS with no problems.

I can confirm that .151 is faster, has more stable memory and better battery life. Head over to the Storm OS subforum for tons of info on 151. Also, take a look at the "Search Storm Forum" link in my signature and use the word void or warranty in your search. You'll see some other threads that provide some insight into your warranty question.
    08-07-09 05:00 AM
    No it does not void your warranty. Please, this has been discussed for years now starting with the 4.5 OS leaks.
    08-07-09 06:11 AM
    lol this topic again.

To the op you will no void your warranty, if you have a beta or a unapproved os build. However if you happen to have a cs rep whose by line is, "I am not sure what I am doing so I will blame the customer for everything." then it is a good idea to downgrade or change your os to an approved version of your carrier.
    08-07-09 06:35 AM
    Yes dont bring a phone in with a beta OS. The reason is because these vzw guys are trained to handle the bugs they know. If you bring in a storm with 5.0 on it and say "look my screen turns upside down when i exit out of an application" their mind will just melt. If you ever have a problem with your phone come here first and if all else fails then you should reload .148 and take it to the store. Other than that, .151 is completly safe to load and is a great OS
    08-07-09 09:55 AM
    Basically the hardware remains under warranty, but if you are having software issues don't bug them if it's not their software.....
    08-07-09 10:10 AM
    ty all for the helpful info.i just wanted to make sure it would be possiable to rollback to old os if needed.i have heard that the .151 is a better os and runs so much smother the the .148.can anyone confirm this that has the .151 os?
    I upgraded to 151 from 148. It is awesome and somehow easier and smoother than my jump from 75 to 148.
    08-07-09 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD