I feel bad that visual voicemail is not working for some folks out there so I am posting this to help ease the frustration with it and hopefully explain how the end product should work. Keep in mind it has been working perfectly on my phone and I am assuming that this is how it was intended to work and how it will work when its fixed so that all you guys don't get frustrated and be turned off from having the nice visual voicemail feature.

Phone ON>

When you look at the screen it shows a missed call in which case you can click to ignore or view.

If there is a voicemail after clicking view a small box pops up letting you know there is a voicemail in which case you can push play and it for the most part plays the voicemail instantly. This is of course if you want to listen to it right away.

If you were to hit cancel in the first step your regular indicators are there message icon etc. When you go into messages you see the missed call and right above it you will see the same phone number or contact with a voicemail. when you click it you will hope over to the visual voicemail app and play the message.

and obviously once in the visual voicemail application there is a multitude of things you can do. You can delete, forward, send any message in any order to a email or phone (not sure if the phone has to be on the same network or not because I don't send my voicemails around haha).

You also have a reply button which lets you either send a voice message or SMS to the number that left the voicemail.

There is also a button in the top right corner of a small speaker with )) next to it if you click on that it enables speaker phone for listening to the messages.

There is a compose button which I am personally yet to use but when you click it up comes your contact list so I am assuming you are able to send voicemails to people on your contact list.

and obviously the call back button which allows you to simply call them back.(this is stating the obvious but I didn't want to leave it out)

Phone Off>
    UPDATE:

coming from phone off works a bit different as far as the notification go's and im not sure this was the way it was intended or not.

When I turned the device on I recieved no notification that I had recieved a voicemail. (keep in mind my device is password locked) I let it sit for a bit to make sure it wasn't delayed in any way shape or form. When I logged into the phone there was a instant notification on top like all other BB items picture of a man with a 1 next to it indicating voicemail. The visual voicemail icon had a * on it.

The messages folder indicated nothing on the outside but when entering the messages folder the unviewed voicemail was on top and BOLDED meaning not read/listened.

and the rest is the same as the above =)

for me this isn't a issue because When turned my phone on there is rarely a time that I don't log in to check things out.
    Last edited by noaim; 11-25-08 at 02:52 AM.
    11-25-08 02:32 AM
    good write up ... thx for the info
    11-25-08 02:35 AM
    Thanx. Any idea how you play archived messages? After I save them, I cant figure out how to open and play them.
    11-25-08 06:22 AM
    I installed Visual Voice Mail and it worked for the first couple of hours. I was able to select all my old voicemails and delete them.

Then, I started getting the error "Incomplete XML, would you like to dial your voice mail". I uninstalled and reinstalled, but nothing seemed to fix that. Has anyone else had a similar problem. Is there any explanation or workaround?
    11-25-08 07:39 AM
    Is there a plan to offer transcribing services? I was hoping with visual voicemail I would be able to read my voicemails instead of listening to them (this is good for meetings). I'm currently using visual voicemail but don't know if the faster access to voicemail is worth the $2.99/mo for me.
    11-25-08 07:45 AM
    Is there a plan to offer transcribing services? I was hoping with visual voicemail I would be able to read my voicemails instead of listening to them (this is good for meetings). I'm currently using visual voicemail but don't know if the faster access to voicemail is worth the $2.99/mo for me.
    visual voicemail is very new to cellphones and this may be available later. Currently it doesn't look like it. Visual voicemail now is more for saving/sending messages and accessing them in any order with little hassle..
    11-25-08 11:33 AM
    There is also a free service out there call youmail. YouMail ) Voicemail You Love. I have been using this for a while. The only thing I don't like about it is the only indicator for a voicemail is a text message. The normal verizon voicemail message indicator is not used. But you can do a bunch of things with this service.

Assign a different greeting to any of your contacts. So I have one specific for my wife and a generic one for everyone else.

You can forward messages and listen to them online as well as on your phone.

If you want to go to it directly from your phone here is the link YouMail SignIn

They also have transcribing services. One for free which is not very accurate and there are others that they charge by how accurate you want them.
    Last edited by squally123; 11-25-08 at 12:01 PM. Reason: EDIT:
    11-25-08 12:00 PM
    There is also a free service out there call youmail. YouMail ) Voicemail You Love. I have been using this for a while. The only thing I don't like about it is the only indicator for a voicemail is a text message. The normal verizon voicemail message indicator is not used. But you can do a bunch of things with this service.

Assign a different greeting to any of your contacts. So I have one specific for my wife and a generic one for everyone else.

You can forward messages and listen to them online as well as on your phone.

If you want to go to it directly from your phone here is the link YouMail SignIn

They also have transcribing services. One for free which is not very accurate and there are others that they charge by how accurate you want them.

Yes but this thread is for verizons visual voicemail this should be posted somewhere else... this thread is related to people having problems with visual voicemail and how its supposed to work when its fixed...
    11-25-08 09:53 PM
    How is Visual VM supposed to work with your regular VM box? I have a VM it downoaded great, I listened and it no longer shows as read.

However it still is on my VM (*86) as an unread message. I would have thought they stayed in sync in case I need to dial *86 - say from a land line.

At 10 messages a day VVM is a god-send; but frustrating that the two are not in sync.
    Last edited by troutseth; 11-26-08 at 12:46 AM.
    11-26-08 12:42 AM
    I installed Visual Voice Mail and it worked for the first couple of hours. I was able to select all my old voicemails and delete them.

Then, I started getting the error "Incomplete XML, would you like to dial your voice mail". I uninstalled and reinstalled, but nothing seemed to fix that. Has anyone else had a similar problem. Is there any explanation or workaround?
    I am having the same problem. I also uninstalled and reinstalled. Did not work. I also called Verizon tech support. They have no clue. They tech person has tried a couple of times with no luck and is now calling his supervisor and calling me back. I will let you know if they get it fixed. He thought it could be something with a password to the voice mail, but I changed passwords and that did nothing. I've had the Storm for 2 days and am not impressed. I have a 30 day trial but if this keeps up it is back to the 8830.
    11-26-08 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD