I've had the storm for almost a year now, and with the release of the storm 2 I'm just wondering if we'll ever get a free, or discounted upgrade to the storm 2.
    12-17-09 07:27 PM
    If you've had it a year you can early upgrade at 2 yr pricing. It was $280 with a $100 MIR @ launch, but you'd have to check their website for current pricing.
    12-17-09 07:29 PM
    It's $180 right now after rebate if you're at the one year mark...
    12-17-09 07:47 PM
    Sure why not? Seems like something they should do huh? They'll give the Tour owners too a free phone when the Tour 2 comes out. I heard Verizon is just givng free phones out to whoever asks nicely.

I got my Storm 2 so I'm not too worried about it though. But my 2009 Honda Civic is almost a year old now, so I'm going to bring it in and get a free upgrade at the beginning of the year. I know I had a trial period to see if I like the car, but I just figured out that it's a POS last month. Which is just fine because Honda knew it wasn't that great of a car, so they'll just give me a new one. Right?
    12-17-09 07:48 PM
    Yes. Call RIM and they send their company jet, pick you up in a limo and take you to the factory to pick yours right off the assembly line.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 07:58 PM
    What you guys haven't heard of free upgrades after a period of time with a contract, i remember i would always get free/discounted upgrades when i had At&t periodically.
    12-17-09 08:44 PM
    no before 1 year was up your didnt on ATT....and you do get a discount but free? not going to happen
    12-17-09 08:48 PM
    What you guys haven't heard of free upgrades after a period of time with a contract, i remember i would always get free/discounted upgrades when i had At&t periodically.
    Sure, but I can bet that the free phone wasn't a $540 Blackberry that has been out for less than 3 months. You could probably get a 8330 for free after a year in your contract, maybe.

Of course you can get a discount on any phone after a year as long as you extend your contract for another 2 years. If you don't want a bunch of crazy comments maybe you should change the title of your thread. It implies your expecting a free upgrade because your a Storm owner.
    12-17-09 09:09 PM
    No way. If they were gonna give an offer like that then they'd have done it by now.
    12-17-09 09:20 PM
    Actually after further research here's what I came up with: VZW will have an in-store only special event, for Storm 1 owners only. This event will take place in VZW corp stores only, from 1pm EST through 7pm EST. It will be catered by Wolfgang Puck. There *will* be a bar, but it will be strictly a *cash bar*. Additionally, off-duty law enforcement will be in place to check IDs and issue high-security gold-colored wristbands to guests who are 21+. If you're under 21 you'll receive a black wristband.

This special event will showcase the 9550 through a 24 minute, multimedia, presentation, all culminating with balloons and confetti dropping from the ceiling onto all of the 9530 owners in attendance.

Scheduled to occur on Thursday, February 30, 2010, 9530 owners will be offered a special, one-night-only upgrade to the 9550. This upgrade will be priced at $280 with the renewal of a 2 yr contract; however, a $100 MIR will be issued.

There's more, but I'm not permitted to disclose any further...
    12-17-09 09:51 PM
    WOW thanks for the heads up sparks! I'm really excited for this. Wolfgang Puck too! I love his tapenade, will he be serving that? That's the day after my birthday too. What a great present that will be, I'm so excited!

My BB doesn't seem to accept that day though? Do you think I need to wipe my phone and downgrade to 4.7.075?
    12-17-09 10:13 PM
    i have only had my S1 for approximately 6mths now but on my 7th and i was told that having an issue with this one where a "wipe handheld" performed and if that doesnt fix the problem/issue i get a brand new phone of choice. Now speculating if i get the S2 or Droid when and if i get to that point.
    12-17-09 10:14 PM
    WOW thanks for the heads up sparks! I'm really excited for this. Wolfgang Puck too! I love his tapenade, will he be serving that? That's the day after my birthday too. What a great present that will be, I'm so excited!

My BB doesn't seem to accept that day though? Do you think I need to wipe my phone and downgrade to 4.7.075?
    Yes, the calendar issue is a Bing bug. You're absolutely correct: following the steps in the link (Proper Upgrade/Downgrade Procedures) should resolve that.

Another hint about the event: it's internally referred to as "Project Unicorn". I'm working on getting a screenshot from the intranet.
    12-17-09 10:30 PM
    Well I was able to briefly see the invitation flyer for this one night only storm 2 trade event, and I saw that vzw was allowing us to keep our storm 1 even after getting the storm 2! In the flyer they had some suggested uses for it:
    - give your S1 to your four year old brother so he can think he finally has a REAL phone;
    - use the S1 as a practical paper weight;
    - use the S1 as a cool looking BB gun target;
    - or simply save it as a backup phone whenever the S2 brakes and is sent for repair...

Now I was going to take a picture of this flyer to post it here, but I did not have my camera with me, only my S1...

12-17-09 11:10 PM
    This thread makes me laugh!

12-18-09 12:37 AM
    Well they told me if I have an issue with my current refurb I would be eligible for Storm 2 upgrade for free if I renew my contract for two more years....have not had an issue worthy of returning it yet...Thought Voice Dialing might be that issue but it actually is somewhat working....Not sure if I could or would want to get Droid if I did have to exchange it....the Google maps on there is AWESOME though.

They gave lots of people early upgrade options...but not me....Guess they don't like me as much as some of there other customers....
    12-18-09 12:42 AM
    This thread reminds me of when the S2 was still in the rumored device forum.

12-18-09 12:50 AM
    Bought my parents new phones last weekend and I asked the lady at the verizon store about upgrading early and she said that I wasn't eligible. I have has my phone since October of 2008, so I was a little irritated. However, there is no way I will get a storm 2.
    12-18-09 06:44 AM
    I did get a kick out of this thread as well, but in all honesty, for everyone who put up with all the B.S. for over a year with the S1, they should give a way, way bigger discount for the S2. Some type of Android will be my next purchase.
    12-18-09 11:28 AM
    Yes. Call RIM and they send their company jet, pick you up in a limo and take you to the factory to pick yours right off the assembly line.

lmao i'm dialing RIM and packing a bag as I type this.
    12-18-09 12:11 PM
    I've had the storm for almost a year now, and with the release of the storm 2 I'm just wondering if we'll ever get a free, or discounted upgrade to the storm 2.
    Jesus wouldn't that be a miracle, I can remember when vzw used to give you 100$ credit fo a new phone, my last upgrade I got 35$!!!! Cheap asses!

12-18-09 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD