View Poll Results: Will RIM ultimately develop a way for users to turn Surepress off?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 31.82%
  • No

75 48.70%
  • You are an ***** -this has been discussed elsewhere a million times

30 19.48%
    Umnnnn Why would one want to disable the greatest advantage storm hardware has over iphone?

Are you out of your ever loving mind!

It would be great and I'm sure in comming generations of stormOS we wil lsee greater usage of the multi touch functionality the synaptics ICs already have.

At which point the sheer advantages of having a fourth dimension so to speak will become much more robust.

I personally would like an On off Button for SureType which is origionally what I had thought you meant.

That would be a wonderfull addition. I hate suretype...

But SureTouch is beautifull imho.

Other portions of the os could use a bit of work ie... the Memory LEAK that causes the JVM to segfault upon incomming cdma data transmissions ... but hey I'm sure they are aware and working on it ...

I just loaded .109 java so perhaps just perhaps this version of java is what they meant for the code to run on properly and therefore not leak ... we shall see...

But yeah SureTouch is here to stay and you need to get aquainted with it ...
    02-22-09 05:47 PM
    I have a modest programming background and I believe they could do it without too much trouble/time. It would take a little bit of time, but at the rate they have betas spitting out of the oven, I don't see it as a major issue. I may be wrong though because I really don't know the code.
    02-22-09 06:06 PM
    nope they wont .. its native with the OS . just wont work
    Its part of the OS, but is can be disabled if they wanted to...
    Check some of the software thats out that its already off in... Bolt for one... you dont click the screen in Bolt, just touch the link..
    There have been a couple more but I cant think of the names..

Garmin is one.. You just touch and hold your finger on the input lines to select address/etc to inpput, you dont have to push the screen...
    02-22-09 06:17 PM
    Its part of the OS, but is can be disabled if they wanted to...
    Check some of the software thats out that its already off in... Bolt for one... you dont click the screen in Bolt, just touch the link..
    There have been a couple more but I cant think of the names..

Garmin is one.. You just touch and hold your finger on the input lines to select address/etc to inpput, you dont have to push the screen...
    This has been gone over in this very thread. There's a BIG difference between doing something like this in a single app and doing it system wide. Doing it on an app by app basis is easy, but doing it system wide would require a significant rewrite of the OS, which would involve rethinking a good chunk of how the UI works as well. If you just wanted a touch only keyboard, that could PROBABLY be done with minimal fuss, but I say that without having ever seen any of the BB OS code, so I could be dead wrong. The entire UI... Not likely going to happen... Keyboard only... Maybe, but I wouldn't go getting my hopes up.
    02-22-09 07:31 PM
    Nope.

I doubt that RIM will make that option available this early in the game, if at all (especially if the option requires a major code change).

I also think that RIM has a lot on their plate, with updating of past and present devices, prepping future devices, and maintaining/upgrading their network.
    02-22-09 08:09 PM
    its simple... every other BB OS has the highlight-then-select functionality.

For the Storm, they took the exact same functionality, but made the highlight use the finger and the select be the press.

Rewriting the whole OS to undo that is a lot more hassle than it's worth, especially considering they marketed the sure press as the innovative feature that separates it from the pack.

Can it be done? Of course, other phones don't have this.
    Will it be done? Not a chance in ****... ever.

And I chose option 3 on the poll because I think discussing this over and over is pointless... and since you knew it has been discussed before (since you added that option) you're a complete attention sponge and jackhole for bringing up again
    02-22-09 09:05 PM
    i dont think so. but maybe future apps will not require it??
    Opera Mini doesn't need it.
    02-22-09 11:07 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD