This is dust under the screen is getting rediculous!! I am a pocket user and work in some ****ty enviroments and I have to worry about this more than others!

Being a Technician/Engineer by trade I hope I can use some of these ideas and come up with something

We need to put our Crack heads together and come up with a fix since our RIM techs can't figure it out on those large salarys!

Here are some of the things that we need to consider and materials we may use based on some other so called fixes:

1) Best cover to use for a solid fit. Ex: Silicone and Hard case.
    2) Best paper to use. Ex: Laminate or uncut screen protectors.
    3) Water proof seal/ dust proof.

Please feel free to roam your shops and offices and start posting some ideas, even if they are just parts of a fix.

Thanks

TJ
    Last edited by httrdd; 12-25-08 at 06:21 PM.
    12-25-08 05:41 PM
    Get a case, sleeve, or hoslter that covers the entire phone.

Or, Put the Phone in a closed pocket.
    12-25-08 05:43 PM
    How about stretch wrap?!? This can be put on some how, but we need to consider the cosmetic look so it would need to be adheased to the sides before it comes out of the case!
    Last edited by httrdd; 12-25-08 at 05:49 PM.
    12-25-08 05:46 PM
    Someone came up with a fix. Search, its on here somewhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 05:54 PM
    Someone came up with a fix. Search, its on here somewhere.

I have seen a couple of good attemps, but still alot of complaints on dust still getting under the screen even with the fix. I read threads religiously so I am sure if it has been posted I have not missed it!

I started playing with the stretch wrap idea (I am at work nothing else to do) and it is not bad! It is completely sealed and it is still very sensitive to your finger. The wrap that I have here is the large roll stuff that we use to wrap crates of equipment and it is a little foggy. I am sure that there is other types that are more translucent. Not a bad start though!
    12-25-08 06:06 PM
    I've had mine in the RIM OEM sleeve/pouch case (no belt clip) and made certain to never blow dust into the case... however, my screen is full of dust. I've had previous BlackBerry's with dust issues and RIM has corrected it by fixing manufacturing problems and then issuing replacements to customers that complain. That's known as a lesson learned (but obviously forgotten with each new model they release).

Unfortunately I'll be requesting a replacement in hopes of a better sealed screen. There is no way this should be a customer initiated fix. My iPhones and Motorola handsets never needed special care to keep dust out.
    12-25-08 06:21 PM
    Mega how would we know when RIM addresses it?

I have a great phone just awful dust and don't wanna play a relacement game until I know these problems are addressed

I still have til January 15 to return apparently what about afterwards?

12-25-08 06:25 PM
    I hope your next one is a lot better for you and I agree that we should not be the one to fix a manufacturers problem, but we need a temp fix until they come out with something better! Mine works great with no problems at all so why would I send it back for a dust issue?!!
    12-25-08 06:26 PM
    go to We've Got Technology Covered // OtterBox.com and look at the PDA cases. Those are all water proof and have soft plastic over it which will allow you to still click the screen.

Hopefully they will come out with a line of storm specific gear soon
    12-25-08 07:46 PM
    Otterbox. Or just say **** it, I'm getting a new phone in 2 years anyway

Otterbox

12-25-08 08:46 PM

Otterbox

My philosophy!
    12-25-08 08:58 PM

Otterbox

Ya this is true, but will it last that long or will it be like driving though a blizzard without windshield wipers in about a year?!!
    12-25-08 09:11 PM
    I took it apart and sealed the screen edges with silicone. So far so good.
    I also heard a couple people mention that there replacement Storms are sealed better supposedly, and have no light "leaking" from the edges of the screen either.
    12-25-08 09:25 PM
    Now I was thinking of that, but what are the downfalls?! Sealing the screen with silicone is a great idea if it is applied correctly and I can tell, using silicone a lot, it will be sealed very well!

I may have to give this a try!!! Keep them coming!

The more I think about it I am hitting myself in the head not doing it in the first place!

MrZoSo- Did you do the disassembly to silicone it and void the warrenty??
    Last edited by httrdd; 12-25-08 at 09:32 PM.
    12-25-08 09:29 PM
    Am I the only one without dust problems? I work on a farm with a lot of dust and it hasn't been a problem for me...

12-25-08 09:36 PM
    You must of got a good one or maybe you just have not looked hard enough.

12-25-08 09:58 PM

Otterbox

I could not have said it better myself this will soon pass as the cool device and we will be on to something else
    12-25-08 10:00 PM
    there was a good thread on how to fix it using a case, and a peice of laminate! it left no area for dust to get in
    12-25-08 10:03 PM
    there was a good thread on how to fix it using a case, and a peice of laminate! it left no area for dust to get in
    I have seen that one and I was considering it in the past but I do not want to go hard case if I do not have to

12-25-08 10:45 PM
    There is a great reccomended cleaning here in this thread! He says that he uses 3M electronics cleaning spray!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dus...screen-123156/

This may sound dumb to some but I tried some Glad stretch wrap on the face of my phone and it covered it and sealed it perfectly! I was still smoth on my screen and the phone worked great! With the silicone case on it you can barely notice it! This might be good for me when I am on the job and it will make it dust proof and water proof on the senstive areas.

This is not my solution but I am trying things! I just hope that RIM Techs come up with something soon so we do not have to result to this!
    Last edited by httrdd; 12-26-08 at 05:49 PM.
    12-26-08 05:34 PM
    A thin rubber membrane around the screen would be nice. Sort of like the ones they use to seal waterproof watches (those are pretty thin I believe). Might work in this case as it would still have some give to it to allow for clicking.

Engineers Unite - Ok I'm done ha
    12-26-08 05:45 PM
    Thats a good suggestion! Do you have any more info on this with more discription and pictures?
    12-26-08 05:54 PM
    Was just searching around..........Has anyone seen these!! They look like they completely seal the screen and are invisible! This should keep foreign matter out!
    https://www.clearprotector.com/produ...ls.asp?pID=671
    12-26-08 07:25 PM
    I took it apart and sealed the screen edges with silicone. So far so good.
    I also heard a couple people mention that there replacement Storms are sealed better supposedly, and have no light "leaking" from the edges of the screen either.
    i ordered my device friday before xmas, recieved it on the 22nd. so is this a newer revision of the hardware or something possibly? it seems like it would just need some kind of skirt around the actual LCD unit floating inside the phone to keep crap out. like how cd players in your car have the felt to wipe off the cd when you insert/eject, etc. silicone would work but im cool on taking my phone apart. im not THAT much of a geek. lmao. i mod old **** only.
    12-26-08 07:48 PM
    Thats a good suggestion! Do you have any more info on this with more discription and pictures?
    I'm not sure how thin these are to be able to fit around the screen but if it the right one was cut to length and fitted around the screen I bet it would be a nice seal...

http://www.marcorubber.com/splicing_kit.htm
    12-26-08 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD