Please excuse my lack of knowledge about this, but why should I unlock my Storm? What extra benefit do I get? Someone pleas set me straight.

Thanks...
    01-19-09 05:41 PM
    Higher re-sale value and for using with other providers... besides Verizon.
    01-19-09 05:45 PM
    I just went to Europe on some business, and needed to unlock the phone so i can use a "local" european number/gsm sim chip. This way my local contacts don't call america (expensive call for them) to give me a call when i'm at a cafe down the street lol.

Worked great, you just have to make sure to disable 3g and do 2g only.
    01-19-09 05:54 PM
    OK - So I guess that there is no actual benefit for me if I am using it here in the US on Verizon, right?
    01-19-09 05:56 PM
    If you're on Verizon and you're not going to go over seas there is no point to unlock the phone.

However if you're going to use the phone on at&t or tmobile etc then you will need to unlock it.

Likewise if you're going to travel over seas. It will need to be unlocked so you can pickup their networks.
    01-19-09 06:02 PM
    Great - Thank you all for the information.
    01-19-09 06:09 PM
    Likewise if you're going to travel over seas. It will need to be unlocked so you can pickup their networks.
    It will need to be unlocked to use the other carrier's networks other than VZW's "international roaming" through Vodaphone. For light use, the VZW/Voda SIM card that comes with the phone would work fine.

For a lot of people it is also a status thing (notice people here with the word "unlocked" next to their device name?). They may never use it on someone else's network but they like the idea that they can if they want to.
    01-19-09 06:35 PM
    But what isnt being mentioned is that unlocking the phone technically devaules it cause you will never get full access all of the device's features. Whether it be the BB browser, MMS, BB Messanger, true 3G service...you dumb the phone down by bringing it onboard to another carrier other than it's intended home.

It is a status thing..people hacking it because "they can". I'm sure my opinion will differ from others..and there will be pros and cons either way you look at it but to get the true value of the device, use it on VZW's network and enjoy all the benefits.
    01-19-09 07:10 PM
    But what isnt being mentioned is that unlocking the phone technically devaules it cause you will never get full access all of the device's features. Whether it be the BB browser, MMS, BB Messanger, true 3G service...you dumb the phone down by bringing it onboard to another carrier other than it's intended home.

It is a status thing..people hacking it because "they can". I'm sure my opinion will differ from others..and there will be pros and cons either way you look at it but to get the true value of the device, use it on VZW's network and enjoy all the benefits.
    There are workarounds that make it work on AT&T and T-Mobile and everything works but yes, not as easily and not the way it would on the intended home.

Some people just want cheaper calling rates overseas and that's a valid reason but other than that I agree it is a status thing.
    01-19-09 08:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD