It is crazy that all storm users is playing catch up to other phones I understand why some people on this forum asks for apps that the iphone has I enjoy my storm don't get me wrong but it would be nice to be up to speed with the mobile world..I spoke to a sprint rep and he told me they didn't even compare the palm pre to the storm and in a lot of my reviews outside of crackberry they really don't compare it to the storm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 07:05 AM
    Personally I think they don't compare the Pre to the Storm because the Pre is still very new and lagging in features (but it might just be because I love my Storm). In reality I find most comparisons between the iPhone, Storm, Pre and any Windowz mobile device a waste of time. They each have their strong and weak points, and each fits a certain end user better depending on their needs. You want a work horse that has top notch push e-mail handling, always connected, multi tasking, etc - you get a Berry. You want the latest music, cool looking gadget that is also a phone and allows for some nifty browser experience, you get an iPhone ... etc, etc. (Not sure where the Pre and Windowz mobiles fit in ). I dont feel the Storm is playing catch up, it has some solid Berry features other manufacturers still can not offer.
    07-20-09 07:45 AM
    i don't feel like im playing catch up, idk...
    07-20-09 07:47 AM
    I switched from a Razr VC3 off of metro PCS to the storm. To me, this phone is far more advanced. Like it was said, if you wanted to get a cool phone with a bunch of flashy apps, the iPhone is for you. The main reason for me not to get one is because everyone has it.
    07-20-09 07:52 AM
    When did the pre come out? When did the 3gs come out? Looks like the storm wasn't the phone playint catch up.
    07-20-09 07:56 AM
    I hear all you guys I do enjoy my storm and trust me I wont be leaving it no time soon this is my first blackberry and the vzw rep told me I am gonna be hooked and that imma be a blackberry user for life lol and I so think I am

Last edited by m.ave; 07-20-09 at 08:55 AM.
    07-20-09 08:51 AM
    To the op, set your priorities on what features you want. Always comparing other devices and hoping that yours is always on top will not work. Once any device is in production, there are always going to be other device that will be more advanced.

Remember to stick to what works for you and the grass in not always greener on the other side.
    07-20-09 09:04 AM
    I dont feel like I Play catch-up either.
    I have friends with iPhone and G1 and realize their phones have thousands of apps. BUT I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY. AND THE BLACKBERRY WORLD.
    07-20-09 10:36 AM
    i disagree. the storm isn't trying to catch up with those other devices, the RIM devices are going in an entirely different direction, so eventually the palm, apple, winmo devices will figure out that RIM is doing it right (which at the moment they aren't IMO, but i have faith, and so should you) and then they'll be trying to catch up with RIM devices, apps, software, etc.
    07-20-09 10:46 AM
    This is my first bb and its a storm it took some gettn use to but I don't know wht I would do with out it now. I luv it!

07-20-09 10:58 AM
    Most app's are crap anyways.
    07-20-09 11:05 AM
    The Storm's not playing catch up. Just because some other phone has different apps (or even more apps) means nothing more than...it's different. Now, here comes the big philosophical perspective...Everyone needs to stop spending time, money and energy wanting what everyone else has and enjoy what you have. If all you do is lust after everything that's out of your reach, you're setting yourself up for a sad life.

If you can't enjoy the Storm that you have, the only thing you'll likely find satisfying, is to become an engineer and design you own phone that combines the Storm, the iPhone and the Pre. No tool is going to do it all (vice grips and duck tape are exceptions). Hammers are for driving and removing nails while wrenches tighten and loosen nuts.
    Last edited by grey; 07-20-09 at 11:09 AM.
    07-20-09 11:06 AM
    Cool I don't want any problems just my thoughts some replys seem angry lol its all love in the blackberry world

07-20-09 11:07 AM
    Sorry...I didn't mean to sound angry. I'm trying to promote love and compassion, but every once in while I lose my focus. You could always just buy all three phones. Then you'd have the best of everything (except for the bill). That's a joke...love and compassion...love and compassion...love and compassion...love and compassion.
    07-20-09 11:25 AM
    i disagree. the storm isn't trying to catch up with those other devices, the RIM devices are going in an entirely different direction, so eventually the palm, apple, winmo devices will figure out that RIM is doing it right (which at the moment they aren't IMO, but i have faith, and so should you) and then they'll be trying to catch up with RIM devices, apps, software, etc.
    No, the RIM devices are going in the same direction as these other devices. That is why RIM is releasing touch screen phones, media players, application storefronts, etc. The 5 or 6 major manufacturers (including Samsung and LG) are all converging on this touch-trendy media-centric phone paradigm.

Trust me, aside from Windows Mobile, basically no major smartphone maker (Nokia, Palm, iPhone) is playing catch-up to RIM in the arena of software and applications. Perhaps they are playing catch-up in the area of push notifications and security, and Palm is playing catch-up in the arena of physical keyboard design.

RIM is basically playing catch-up in every area aside from its core business model which is providing always-on connectivity to enterprise users.
    07-20-09 11:42 AM
    No, the RIM devices are going in the same direction as these other devices. That is why RIM is releasing touch screen phones, media players, application storefronts, etc.

Trust me, aside from Windows Mobile, basically no major smartphone maker (Nokia, Palm, iPhone) is playing catch-up to RIM in the arena of software and applications. Perhaps they are playing catch-up in the area of push notifications and security, and Palm is playing catch-up in the arena of physical keyboard design.

RIM is basically playing catch-up in every area aside from its core business model which is providing always-on connectivity to enterprise users.

my point is that RIM is going to be heading in a new direction with consumer devices. they're going to have one platform that serves both consumers AND business users, it'll contain all of the security and function for the corporate fat cats as well as all of the flash and glitz to keep the mindless drones happy. i didn't say they do right now, but it will happen in the future.

big picture, kiddo. big picture.
    07-20-09 11:45 AM
    my point is that RIM is going to be heading in a new direction with consumer devices. they're going to have one platform that serves both consumers AND business users, it'll contain all of the security and function for the corporate fat cats as well as all of the flash and glitz to keep the mindless drones happy. i didn't say they do right now, but it will happen in the future.

big picture, kiddo. big picture.

Please don't call me kiddo. We are both basically the same age.

You said that RIM is going in an 'entirely different direction' than the other devices. That's not true at all. All the major devices are going in the same direction, including RIM. If you browse Engadget for more than 15 minutes you will realize that the state of the art phones from RIM, Apple, HTC, Samsung, LG, Palm and Nokia all basically look the same and have similar functionality.
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-20-09 at 11:54 AM.
    07-20-09 11:49 AM
    Please don't call me kiddo. We are both basically the same age.

You said that RIM is going in an 'entirely different direction' than the other devices. That's not true at all. All the major devices are going in the same direction, including RIM. If you browse Engadget for more than 15 minutes you will realize that the state of the art phones from RIM, Apple, HTC, Samsung, LG, Palm and Nokia all basically look the same and have similar functionality.
    you're still looking at the smaller, more immediate scope of things. i'm talking about things that engadget doesn't know or see, because they're still on the drawing boards. the ideas and concepts that are being thrown around, fully integrating every facet of one function into every other, compatibility with most, if not all other technology in your life.

but yes, when i look at the smaller scope i agree, they all look and do the same. but the guys who make the big bucks are hard at work to change that part.
    07-20-09 12:01 PM
    Thank you.
    No, the RIM devices are going in the same direction as these other devices. That is why RIM is releasing touch screen phones, media players, application storefronts, etc. The 5 or 6 major manufacturers (including Samsung and LG) are all converging on this touch-trendy media-centric phone paradigm.

07-20-09 12:14 PM
    It is crazy that all storm users is playing catch up to other phones I understand why some people on this forum asks for apps that the iphone has I enjoy my storm don't get me wrong but it would be nice to be up to speed with the mobile world..I spoke to a sprint rep and he told me they didn't even compare the palm pre to the storm and in a lot of my reviews outside of crackberry they really don't compare it to the storm

How long has the storm been out? How long has the Iphone been out? That should answer your question as to why it is playing catch up. Lol

07-20-09 01:24 PM
    Two painfully obvious issues here:

1) You erroneously place too much value on what carrier reps tell you and 2) you need to learn how you use a "." in your posts. Seriously, "periods" are your friend!
    07-20-09 01:36 PM
    How long has the storm been out? How long has the Iphone been out? That should answer your question as to why it is playing catch up. Lol

I'm not sure how knowing either of those pieces of information answers any questions...
    07-20-09 01:38 PM

1 - RIM is definitely not playing catchup with WinMo devices. If you have had one, you would understand.
    2 - Rim is hardly playing catchup with Palm. Look at their sales. If the Pre flounders, Palm will be down below 3rd place
    3 - Nokia is the competition in my book. Smart consumer and business plan.
    4 - The only thing Rim is playing catchup with the iPhone is Bling. How can you play catch up with a single threaded device? The best thing about the iPhone is Apples marketing.
    5 - Samsung has a image to overcome and it won't be anytime soon.

You are correct in that Rim is expanding it's market to include consumers. It will be a few years before you see the full success or failure. The one thing you did not expound on is that corporate accounts are paying the bills. Rim can use this for R&D. Very powerful IMO.
    07-20-09 01:40 PM
    I'm not sure how knowing either of those pieces of information answers any questions...
    Are you slow? Storm is 1st generation. Iphone is on their 3rd. Iphone has had 3 years to work on their product. So of course the iphone will be ahead of the game now.

07-20-09 01:56 PM
    Are you slow? Storm is 1st generation. Iphone is on their 3rd. Iphone has had 3 years to work on their product. So of course the iphone will be ahead of the game now.

I wouldn't even call it ahead of the game. I'd just agree that they've had 2 or 3 extra years to develop a bunch of extra apps, many of which seem to have been developed simply to add to their app list. Wow...that's hard to say fast...add to their app list, add to their app list, add to their app list, add to their app list...
    07-20-09 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD