I mean since updating to my 5.0 OS i love my storm and now I just feel bad that the s2 is coming out which i will not be getting through all the hoopla on cb, and am going to do the safe thing and go to the touch pro 2. but that for another thread. but it still baffles how RIM will let verizon lower their new device by making it a buy one get one free what is this, next they will be selling these s1's and s2's at the dollar store. i mean yes the s1 was a failure in terms of software funtionality and some hardware annoyances, but of course sells did great due to the fact everyone was expecting their usual solid RIM device with some new swagger to it, so can someone help me figure out why rim why?
    10-17-09 08:38 AM
    How does Verizon's selling of BlackBerries for BOGO have anything to do with RIM's standards?
    10-17-09 08:44 AM
    The whole smartphone market is expanding. Is it unsurprising that a major carrier will try to attract business by doing a BOGO. Consider the dataplans they will sell with this deal. Carriers do not care much about phone sales. They care about plan sales. Of course, you cannot sell monthly plans unless you sell phones. So,..... BOGO.

Consider also the economies of bulk buying. Verizon may have deliberately bought a huge number of phones from RIM just so that they get a really low unit proce and so that they could do the BOGO------to get the monthly plan sales.
    10-17-09 08:53 AM
    i know storm isnt the only one most if not all smartphones have problems upod release it just seemed storm had more problems in more areas of the phone not just software but hardware wise as well.
    10-17-09 09:11 AM
    but thats an age old argument as well we are passed that now and on to a much improved storm 2 without a doubt
    10-17-09 09:12 AM
    How does Verizon's selling of BlackBerries for BOGO have anything to do with RIM's standards?
    Actually, I feel sorry for RIM's attempts at "standards" ... it's an uphill battle just keeping up with the increasingly lower cognitive capacity of the available user base.
    10-17-09 10:01 AM
    I mean since updating to my 5.0 OS i love my storm and now I just feel bad that the s2 is coming out which i will not be getting through all the hoopla on cb, and am going to do the safe thing and go to the touch pro 2. but that for another thread. but it still baffles how RIM will let verizon lower their new device by making it a buy one get one free what is this, next they will be selling these s1's and s2's at the dollar store. i mean yes the s1 was a failure in terms of software funtionality and some hardware annoyances, but of course sells did great due to the fact everyone was expecting their usual solid RIM device with some new swagger to it, so can someone help me figure out why rim why?
    What does VZW doing a BOGO free offer have anything to do with RIM? It's not up to them.
    10-17-09 10:08 AM
    @phonemaster123 Dumb question, but VERIZON & RIM are the only one that try to clear out the old model?! RIM is losing standard because the companies that sell their products are cleaning house for the new ones...WOW!

2009 models of cars: MERCEDES, JAGUARS, ... ETC ARE LOSING THEIR STANDARD?! OMG...WE MUST GO AND CONTACT RIM...in another topic you should look up in the forums:

BlackBerry Storm Reliability
    Grimmron

he also has the same type of question and is getting posts, maybe they can help you there too.
    Last edited by pjurbina; 10-17-09 at 06:25 PM.
    10-17-09 06:23 PM
    Actually, I feel sorry for RIM's attempts at "standards" ... it's an uphill battle just keeping up with the increasingly lower cognitive capacity of the available user base.
    I think that's the nail on the head right there.

I have been using my Storm now for a while, and I had some initial issues as I learned how to use it, but as a buddy of mine said "The learning curve on those things are pretty steep." Once I took the time to learn how to use it, I fell in love with my Storm.

You call it a "failure", but honestly, I think you're %110 wrong for saying that. I think the Storm is fantastic. A lot of balloonheads will get a Storm (or any other technology, for that matter) and expect a "Magic Box" that will do whatever they want and you dont have to learn how to use it. Sorry Charlie.

I hear new Storm-heads saying "oh it locks up all the time", well professor, how many apps do you have open at once? Oh, 12? Really? And it's locking up? You don't say. Wow, Lou Gehrig, how did you not see that coming?

If RIM is guilty of anything, it's guilty of giving advanced technology to trailer trash that doesn't need or deserve it.
    10-17-09 06:56 PM
    What happens is this.

Verizon buys this product wholesale from RIM.

What makes RIM the money, is the devices that Verizon buys from RIM. Now after that it's all out of RIM hands its between you and the Service provider.

The Storm2 and Storm1 to Verizon is just a tool. Remember, Service providers dont make their money off of the phones. It's off he Service. Hence the name Service provider.

So they can manipulate the tools(phones) in whatever fashion to lure you into a contract. Whether its buy one get one free. Or just giving the phone away free period.

The market is expanding, and with that comes newer opportunities to do more riskier type marketing.

In all reality, in a bad economy like this, what will lure people into a contract is BOGo deals. That way it becomes a mutual benificiary to both you and the provider, just as the relationship between provider and manufacturer(RIM) is mutual as well.

So think about how much more money Verizon can make if they get two people into a contract. The phone will be paid off within your first couple of moths of service with them, and your stuck with them for 2+ years.

Lets say your bill would be a hundred dollars a month.

You go up to Verizon and sign a BOGO deal, and buy one Odin for 200 dollars + a 100 dollar a month contract. And your friend gets the other Odin free + a 100 dollar a month contract.

Assuming both are 2 year contracts, having 12 months in each year,

100x12=1200

1200x2(yr)=2400

So thats two contracts at 2400 dollars per 2 year contract.

Thats 4800 dollars Verizon made off of letting you have a 400 dollar phone for free.

Thats not including the other services Verizon gets you in.
    Last edited by Card Storm; 10-17-09 at 07:23 PM.
    10-17-09 06:57 PM
    Good point Card Storm, but you may want to edit the end to say Verizon instead of RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 07:22 PM
    Good point Card Storm, but you may want to edit the end to say Verizon instead of RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Lmao. What would I do without people like you.
    10-17-09 07:23 PM
    I think you have the wrong idea bud
    10-17-09 07:34 PM
    RIM is not lowering their standards, VZW is just clearing inventory to make way for Storm2.
    10-17-09 07:46 PM
    Very good point Pete, it's all about selling plans that's where the real money is. Phone sales are a one time fee. Plan sales go on for years and years.
    10-21-09 06:13 PM
    well also consider that VZW as well as RIM will continue to support ALL blackberries well into the future...

consider that this very soon, every VZW blackberry will run on OS 5.0, excluding the 8830...there is no 5.0 OS in testing for it currently...even the pearl will have 5.0!!!

lowering standards? no

rushing product? yes

who is to blame for rushed product?

vzw for launching it without "acceptable" standards being met (that is an opinion), RIM for allowing VZW to release a product that is going to taint their public view (again, an opinion)

the proper way to judge a company is to view the LONG TERM support of a product...

apple just makes a new hardware version, and any new features/services are exclusive to that new hardware build...that's how apple makes their money...the new software is where the changes come, the new hardware is just to make the new OS proprietary to that device, not backwards compatible, etc...

RIM makes their money off of data plans, and new phones...the OS is the same across the board...don't expect some new phone to have some "exclusive new feature" from them, the feature will be added in the back end (giggity) where everyone will benefit from it, with udpated software of course, which everyone will get...for free

i'm not sure what the issue is here honestly...a rocky release, and a rocky OS development, but the BEST recovery i've ever seen...EVER!
    10-21-09 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD