Found this on wiki regarding why they went to the micro usb:

The newer Micro-USB receptacles are designed to allow up to 10,000 cycles of insertion and exertion between the receptacle and plug, compared to 500 for the standard USB and Mini-USB receptacle. This is accomplished by adding a locking device and by moving the leaf-spring connector from the jack to the plug, so that the most-stressed part is on the cable side of the connection. This change was made so that the connector on the (relatively inexpensive) cable would bear the most wear instead of the micro-USB device.
    12-14-08 03:27 AM
    interesting.

i heard it was because it is low profile (thinner)
    12-14-08 03:44 AM
    The micro-USB connector has been agreed across most phone manufacturers as being the sole connector t be used on almost all future phones. I think that the intent is to try and standardize both PC connector cables and power supplies. Will this work? I think that I would like to be the guy making the connectors.

I still think that the best way to charge a BlackBerry is via a charging cradle. This eliminates forever cable/connector stress. I hate the flimsy connectors and now only ever connect to the USB port for syncing, Backups and OS updates.

A cradle costs $25-ish and a replacement USB port is about $70.
    12-14-08 03:51 AM
    The mini usb connector is technically being attempted to be phased out by the governing body that certifies USB devices.
    12-14-08 03:53 AM
    The mini usb connector is technically being attempted to be phased out by the governing body that certifies USB devices.
    Interesting. Do you know if this applies to all mini-USBs or just those on phones?
    12-14-08 05:12 AM
    Technically they are looking to phase mini usb out completely. Granted there are a LOT of devices using it and they aren't forcing this upon anyone so its going to take time but honestly I prefer it that way.
    12-14-08 05:35 AM
    I heard the same as some other posters - that it will become the standard. VZW rep said we will start to see them on more and more due to the smaller size.
    12-14-08 05:36 AM
    It should also be mentioned that not only to the micro connectors have better cycle rates they also control impedance through them better. They are stronger when mounted in the center of a board. ie. the board is cut out and they are actually floating on about the same plane as the PCB rather than soldered on top of the thing like most SMT components. This provides them a lower radiated emission along with even more improvement in impedance control.

All in all better connector for cycle times, bit error rates, PCB connection quality, and size. Not to mention that as more providers start to use micro usb the number of units made/sold goes way up and the cost point starts to fall off significantly.
    12-14-08 05:45 AM
    Well whoever and whichever person or company that is behind the push to use or not to use the micro-sd, I personally am glad. I'm sure like me ppl here have been through the phones will the little tabs and locking clips that have problems. I truly hated them and am glad they have went to a USB type plug!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 06:43 AM
    It should also be mentioned that not only to the micro connectors have better cycle rates they also control impedance through them better. They are stronger when mounted in the center of a board. ie. the board is cut out and they are actually floating on about the same plane as the PCB rather than soldered on top of the thing like most SMT components. This provides them a lower radiated emission along with even more improvement in impedance control.

All in all better connector for cycle times, bit error rates, PCB connection quality, and size. Not to mention that as more providers start to use micro usb the number of units made/sold goes way up and the cost point starts to fall off significantly.
    Thanks for th information. I like what I hear from you a lot. SMT componets are great until you put torque on them and we see about 2 busted USB ports a week here on CB. A flat solder joint has never been a good mechanical solution so I very much like the thru' the board implementation.

Impedance matching is essential for good power transer at low levels and hopefuly this will eliminate a lot of the - USB won't connect - problems we are plagued with on BlackBerrys.

I need to see the new connector both naked and in a device before I pronounce my own personal verdict. I am highly suspicious of all connectors. I see them as a collection of diodes and variable resistors and noise generators but I uess that is my engineering training showing through.
    12-14-08 06:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD