First and foremost, let me say that I love my Storm. But I can't ignore all the "glitchy OS" posts I see here on the forums. I've also been getting the general consensus that the Bold and Curve run better than the Storm?

Is there a reason the Storm does not run as well as the Bold or Curve? CPU clock speeds, RAM, etc.? From what I understand, isn't the 4.7.x.x software on the Storm just the 4.6.x.x from the Bold and Curve, but with added support for SurePress?
    06-10-09 03:11 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, the Bold OS sucked big time when it first came out. Took a couple of updates to get it right.
    06-10-09 03:15 PM
    IMO i think it's because they layed the regular 4.6 OS on a touch screen phone and called it 4.7

there are some newer features on the storm that 4.6 devices don't have (like ability to set SMS tones for contacts) but it wan't built for a touch screen phone thats for sure
    06-10-09 03:19 PM
    The Bold/Curve are the stock & trade of RIM; blackberries with a physical keyboard and a trackball.

A touch screen device is new to rim and we can see how they are continuing tweak and change the storm os.

Actually that is my main criticism for RIM they should have developed the storm os from the ground up, and not just adapted the 4.XXX to a touch screen device.
    06-10-09 03:21 PM
    It's just brand new. I'm not comparing the Storm to the iPhone, but the iPhone blew when it first came out as well. I'm TOTALLY satisfied with my Storm at this point. I'm sure it and the Storm 2 will get even better, but I'm happy with what I have.

Grey
    06-10-09 03:25 PM
    I just hope Verizon will let me trade in my Storm for the Storm 2 when it comes out, with no additional charges...
    06-10-09 03:26 PM
    Either way pre here I come.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 03:29 PM
    I just hope Verizon will let me trade in my Storm for the Storm 2 when it comes out, with no additional charges...
    LOL u have a better chance of winning the powerball
    06-10-09 03:48 PM
    First and foremost, let me say that I love my Storm. But I can't ignore all the "glitchy OS" posts I see here on the forums. I've also been getting the general consensus that the Bold and Curve run better than the Storm?

Is there a reason the Storm does not run as well as the Bold or Curve? CPU clock speeds, RAM, etc.? From what I understand, isn't the 4.7.x.x software on the Storm just the 4.6.x.x from the Bold and Curve, but with added support for SurePress?
    an overly-vocal minority will always drown out the happy majority. besides you're not accounting for how many people DON'T post about how much they like the device. most of us joined a forum like this to get help for an issue we have/had. very few people join to rave about a product.

no news is good news, and there is a lot of no news you're missing out on.
    06-10-09 03:50 PM
    The Bold/Curve are the stock & trade of RIM; blackberries with a physical keyboard and a trackball.

A touch screen device is new to rim and we can see how they are continuing tweak and change the storm os.

Actually that is my main criticism for RIM they should have developed the storm os from the ground up, and not just adapted the 4.XXX to a touch screen device.
    I COMPLETELY agree. I mean, when the Storm first came out, it definately felt like you needed tiny fingers to hit tiny buttons and stuff, where it seems a stylus or a trackball qwould come in handy.
    The iPhone was good at this, the 'selection' areas are a little below the actual button, which is where people tend to press, I guess (frankly, after being with the storm and then trying the iPhone, I felt like i couldn't hit anything).
    However, the keyboard has been improved greatly from .75, which is really nice. Can't believe people that stuck to .75 when there was better things ahead. . .
    06-10-09 03:56 PM
    I COMPLETELY agree. I mean, when the Storm first came out, it definately felt like you needed tiny fingers to hit tiny buttons and stuff, where it seems a stylus or a trackball qwould come in handy.
    The iPhone was good at this, the 'selection' areas are a little below the actual button, which is where people tend to press, I guess (frankly, after being with the storm and then trying the iPhone, I felt like i couldn't hit anything).
    However, the keyboard has been improved greatly from .75, which is really nice. Can't believe people that stuck to .75 when there was better things ahead. . .
    Each to his/her own really. My boss and her husband both have storms. Volunteered to upgrade their storms to 122 or even 148, but they perfectly fine with .76. I did install quickpull on their storms.
    06-10-09 04:04 PM
    I would like to pipe in that I admit the Storm OS is twitchy for me, being a former Blackberry 8700g user going to this. Some things are sluggish. But one thing to note, this is also a different beast compared to the normal Blackberry models as many people here have pointed out.

The OS is doing something different from what most blackberries do, as most blackberries have two things in common:

1) Keypads - From the Original Blackberry to the latest Blackberry Bold and Pearl Flip, there has been a keyboard interface.
    2) Static Screen Display - None of the current Blackberries, with the exception of the Storm, uses a variable screen display (IE: rotates based on orientation).

The OS for most of the blackberries will rarely differ with the inputs given the keypad and the roller/ball inputs are consistent and tried technologies.

The Touchscreen, on the other hand, is a bit different from the iPhone based touch screen, as it has a physical 'push' component that is not even a standard among many systems. The OS is also designed to 'change' based on orientation without user prompting, which, in itself is not a standard among all the other blackberry designs.

And like many new technologies, things you are trying that are new will always have issues or glitches because of the simple fact that in a real world environment is not the same as a testing environment when it comes to what is being done or used by these devices.

Also, if I remember correctly, there were some issues with the iPhone as well at the beginning and sometimes still a sporadic problem as well to this day.
    06-10-09 04:08 PM
    I'm not hating on the Storm or anything. I'm happily running Lyricidal's .148/5.0 hybrid . I agree with a lot of you though, I wish RIM had designed the Storm's OS from the ground up rather than taking an OS from a different device and tacking features onto it. Surely there's some optimizations that the OS can take advantage of in the Storm that aren't present in the Bold or Curve?

Patches, I agree with the "no news is good news". But I was on another forum (NeoGAF gaming forum) and there was a thread where the Storm was getting a bad rap for it's "unresponsiveness" (the user who said this tried a friend's phone in the past, I'm gonna presume it was running 4.7.0.75). So it just made me wonder how long it will take RIM to have the Storm running at a majority-acceptable level.

Apple is droping iPhone users their big 3.0 update soon. No doubt that 3.0 + iPhone 3GS announcement sparked a lot of interest in the iPhone. I imagine RIM/Verizon/(insert other Storm carrier here) would do something to offset the announcement (i.e. 5.0 release date announcement + new Storm or other device announcement).

And yes, I know RIM isn't in charge of releasing 5.0 to the masses, but you'd think by now there would be an 5.0 OS build that could pass Verizon's testing
    06-10-09 04:16 PM
    And like many new technologies, things you are trying that are new will always have issues or glitches because of the simple fact that in a real world environment is not the same as a testing environment when it comes to what is being done or used by these devices.day.
    I wish RIM had a OS beta testing program. If they want real-world testing environments to supplement carrier testing, what better way than to have the hardcore Blackberry community test it out?

I mean, we already install leaked OS's, test them out, complain, find workarounds, etc.
    06-10-09 04:19 PM
    IMO .148 is "majority acceptable level"...but each person has their own expectations.

there is a thread about people who bought the storm expecting it to be the VZW version of the iphone...meaning non-berry users before the storm. they had no idea what to expect, and basically setting themselves up to be disappointed. in any fashion, the phone with .148 is the minimum standard i would apply to the storm. it is as good/better than the curve, and can accomplish all tasks with minimal errors/flaws. most of the existing issues at this point are GUI bugs/flaws...

as far as the extra testing, i'd say no....99% of the bugs and subsequent findings within an OS that is leaked are worthless...and even then most of them are PEB CAK situations.

and btw, the VZW testing has a level of real world testing. my friend uses the storm every day, we have a lot of the same apps, etc. so when i find a flaw, i forward to him. when civic finds a flaw, she forwards to me, i forward to him. so in essence we are sort of field testing the device, but we're mostly pointing them in the direction of what we find to test and report for themselves.
    06-10-09 04:25 PM
    Having a public beta test would probably shut up the people who beg for 5.0 leaks. Like me lol.

I do agree that .148 is far better than .75 and is probably widely accepted now. But I don't think the whole world knows about it at the same level as how the world knows about the 3.0 iPhone update, and that's why there's still this stigma associated with the Storm.

I'm not looking for my Storm to become an iPhone. But I'm greatly looking forward to the performance optimizations 5.0 will bring. I'm running a hybrid to quench my thirst, but I hope the release of 5.0 will mean that I can have a proper, full 5.0 (non-hybrid) OS running.
    06-10-09 04:59 PM
    Its because the hardware and software are new!

the curve hardware is not anywhere close to the same as the storm hardware..

you know how in a pc you have to have the proper drivers for things to work its pretty much the same thing only slightly more complicated...

it took many iterations of the curve os to get to where it is at right now..

the same will be for the storm.
    06-10-09 05:02 PM
    You'd think RIM would get a good enough 5.0 build to Verizon to push to consumers quickly. After all, the Storm is supposedly Verizon's answer to the iPhone.

I apologize in advance if I'm coming off as angry. I'm not, this is my anxiousness coming across. I had to vent. Perhaps a mod could move this to the Rants and Raves subforum?
    06-10-09 05:06 PM
    its because of the touchscreen

that being said, it's worth it

as much as i like the bold's keyboard, it would drive me insane to constantly have to navigate using only the trackball.

the best solution would be blackberry's trackball + blackberry's keyboards + apple's touchscreen. of course, getting that to look sleek and sexy is the tricky part
    06-10-09 06:37 PM
    You'd think RIM would get a good enough 5.0 build to Verizon to push to consumers quickly. After all, the Storm is supposedly Verizon's answer to the iPhone.
    The fact that the Storm was supposed to be their answer to the iPhone doesn't mean that RIM can magically dilate time so that their engineers can crank out a good 5.0 build any faster. Remember what happened the last time they tried to ship out an OS build that they thought was "good enough" in a hurry? We got .65, and .75 after it.
    06-10-09 07:32 PM
    The fact that the Storm was supposed to be their answer to the iPhone doesn't mean that RIM can magically dilate time so that their engineers can crank out a good 5.0 build any faster. Remember what happened the last time they tried to ship out an OS build that they thought was "good enough" in a hurry? We got .65, and .75 after it.
    except that RIM requires carrier approval to "ship out" those OS builds...blame VZW for .65

they knew what they were doing, well Lowell was the one who made the call, but he is VZW so whatever.

anyway, .75 was a huge improvement, and a justified release. leaving everyone on .65 would have been 10,000 times worse than .75 while we waited for a legitimate OS like .148

keep in mind that VZW applies the perspective of "improvement" when deciding to release a MRx build. so the improvements of .75 warranted the release as an upgrade from .65. same thing with .148.

there are still plenty of bugs to work out on .148, but the improvements outweigh the existing issues we have now.

we're talking BIG picture here, not just our phone, not just consumers, we're talking everyone who has a storm with VZW. business who issued this device for productivity. (which is now possible and as efficent as a berry should be thanks to .148)
    06-10-09 10:53 PM
    The fact that the Storm was supposed to be their answer to the iPhone doesn't mean that RIM can magically dilate time so that their engineers can crank out a good 5.0 build any faster.
    I realize that. But it's more like they should've had at least a .148 level OS ready in time for the Storm's launch. Well what's done is done, and I'm glad they are improving it.

Although the .65 release is what gave the Storm a bad rap in the first place. Had RIM pushed .75+ out a little sooner, Verizon would've been able to test it out sooner, and would probably have launched the phone with .75 instead.

I can't wait, a few months down the line, we will be smack talking .148 if the 5.0 builds consumers are getting proves to be really good
    06-11-09 04:13 AM
    Apple specifically produced the iPhone for mass consumption. RIM has always focused their devices for the business community. RIM made the mistake in thinking it could expand into the "mass consumption" market by making a a less than perfect touch screen phone. Now if RIM would have come out with the Storm back when Apple first came out with the iPhone, then I think RIM would have won hands down because both would have had less than a perfect OS with plenty of bugs. Multi tasking would have killed the iPhone. However, RIM came out with a buggy phone after Apple perfected the iPhone. The consumer will not tolerate
    a new buggy touch screen phone, years after another company perfected theirs.
    06-11-09 04:57 AM
    Funniest thread I have read this morning, I almost spilled my coffee laughing...
    06-11-09 04:58 AM
    Funniest thread I have read this morning, I almost spilled my coffee laughing...
    I just hope when Pioneer upgrades their HDTV's this year, they will let me exchange mine for a new one for free, same thing with my car, house, etc.
    06-11-09 05:22 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD