I'm always seeing these threads about the new OS's... .83, .85. If they are out, why does Verizon not have them? I do understand the difference between beta and official, but why would RIM move to a newer beta version before making the previous version an official one (released to Verizon)?

Just wondering,

Grey
    12-30-08 06:55 PM
    They have to ensure stability.
    12-30-08 06:56 PM
    Each carrier goes through a testing and certification process to ensure they work on their devices, their network on a larger scale. These beta OS's are not certified/released by any carrier and come directly from RIM.
    12-30-08 07:02 PM
    I'm always seeing these threads about the new OS's... .83, .85. If they are out, why does Verizon not have them? I do understand the difference between beta and official, but why would RIM move to a newer beta version before making the previous version an official one (released to Verizon)?

Just wondering,

Grey
    If you wait for one version to be released to the public before you start the next version, there will be a loooooong wait between updates.
    12-30-08 07:32 PM
    At least RIM is trying to fix as many issues with the Storm as quickly as possible.
    12-30-08 07:46 PM
    once they put it out officially, they take ownership of it and responsibility for it.
    So they have to walk the line between making normal consumers happy and crackheads.
    They also have the liability for the world having know how and common sense to actually do an upgrade without bricking their phone, they have to replace the phones that are bricked, yadda, yadda.

That's why we see a bunch of leaks between official releases.

Like CX has said, RIM may monitor these forums, but every leak costs them money, when slo people like me brick our BBs doing an upgrade incorrectly. Odds of that increase with every upgrade.
    Last edited by fonebrkr; 12-30-08 at 09:05 PM.
    12-30-08 08:59 PM
    Each carrier goes through a testing and certification process to ensure they work on their devices, their network on a larger scale. These beta OS's are not certified/released by any carrier and come directly from RIM.
    To add to this, I believe the leaks come out when the os is released from RIM and sent to a carrier. This is the first point where it's "available" for someone to do anything with it outside of Waterloo.

could be wrong though, that just makes sense to me.
    12-30-08 09:01 PM
    I know this is all just a guess, but does this mean that the next OS Verizon will officially release will be the next incremental version (.76) while RIM may have .9x out there somewhere? Or is it more likely they will jump ahead to something like .85 for the next official release?

Grey
    12-31-08 01:08 PM
    pretty much everybody on this forum with any knowledge of how RIM and the phone carriers are think the next Official update will most likely be .85 but if they don't certify it then they will move on to the next build which is something like .87 or higher we are well past .75 now.
    12-31-08 01:28 PM
    You have to understand something about software development... It's never finished, and constantly in refinement. Many software development teams have *nightly* builds distributed internally. Some of these are shared with beta testing teams, and occasionally one of the more stable ones is "leaked" to the public, maybe on purpose. (There's no liability attached to people having trouble with ill-gotten software.)

If you want to have an updated OS on your phone pretty much every single business day, go get a job at RIM's development department. But you'll rarely have a well-functioning phone.

Meantime, only a rare instance of a more-polished and complete build is sent to Verizon for their testing, and much more rarely than that, one is released for users to upgrade their phones with.
    12-31-08 01:36 PM
    occasionally one of the more stable ones is "leaked" to the public, maybe on purpose. (There's no liability attached to people having trouble with ill-gotten software.)
    That's the popular misconception.
    RIM does not leak, the leaks come from the carriers.
    RIM has had to replace what i'm sure is a very large amount of bricked phones under warranty because the special ed department tried to load an OS and failed.

Unfortunately, i'm sure one way or the other , these replacement costs will trickle down to us.
    12-31-08 01:49 PM
    That's the popular misconception.
    RIM does not leak, the leaks come from the carriers.
    RIM has had to replace what i'm sure is a very large amount of bricked phones under warranty because the special ed department tried to load an OS and failed.

Unfortunately, i'm sure one way or the other , these replacement costs will trickle down to us.
    The statement above is positively 110% true.
    12-31-08 01:52 PM
    CX how do you downgrade from .85 to .75?
    12-31-08 02:00 PM
    Their excuse usually is that they have to test each update thoroughly before they push it to the end user. It doesn't matter what platform you're on, they're always going to take their time.
    04-26-13 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD