Really, whats the big deal. My storm runs fine on some as high as 33mb and as low as 10mb. I wanna know why everyone wants more memory?
    04-20-09 04:18 PM
    sometimes low app memory causes the phone to lag or reset, I've never had that problem but I check mine like 3 times a day as I haven't spent the $ on meterberry yet. But I usually don't like mine going under 20MB I boot up at 35.4MB after reset. Just personal preference I think... I could be wrong.
    04-20-09 04:23 PM
    What happens when you want to load more stuff on it? Yeah... thought so.
    04-20-09 04:25 PM
    yea thats pretty muc hthe story.. Think of it as RAM on a PC... the less you have the slower it runs.. this in turn makes the phone slow... Also the addition of applications on the phone contributes to the lagginess
    Some storms may not run that well at different memory amounts.

Personally my storm starts to get sluggish at around 16 mb of memory. I usually start out with around 35 free after a quick pull and if I'm lucky can stay in the mid twenties for a few days.

Everyones storm probably reacts differently to memory decreasing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Really, whats the big deal. My storm runs fine on some as high as 33mb and as low as 10mb. I wanna know why everyone wants more memory?
    It is no big deal, but some people have convinced themselves that this is very important, and worth checking every few minutes. I wonder if these same people are constantly running task manager on their laptops to check free memory, KM, and paging?

The threads about memory issues and the threads about color banding are the 2 that I usually ignore.
    04-20-09 04:28 PM
    It is no big deal, but some people have convinced themselves that this is very important, and worth checking every few minutes. I wonder if these same people are constantly running task manager on their laptops to check free memory, KM, and paging?

The threads about memory issues and the threads about color banding are the 2 that I usually ignore.
    if your app memory dropped to 121kb, you would find the device near unworkable.
    04-20-09 04:31 PM
    if your app memory dropped to 121kb, you would find the device near unworkable.
    That's not really true. Many posters on this forum have reported fully operational devices with 0KB. I myself experienced 0KB, lag-free.

App memory is NOT like RAM on a computer.
    04-20-09 04:34 PM
    I don't know just how low I can go before there's a problem but I have been caught in the middle of an app when my phone just reboots. Think I will be paying closer attention in the future. This might be a job for Meterberry...
    04-20-09 04:50 PM
    at least we dont get a blue screen of death like when windows crashes.
    04-20-09 05:09 PM
    I've run laggy at 35 and beautifully at 6 (not consistent, just saying).

Do we have to link another Java garbage collector explanation post to convince people that free app memory is almost meaningless, unless you simply dont have any?
    04-20-09 05:13 PM
    so we can download a lot of apps
    04-20-09 05:22 PM
    That's not really true. Many posters on this forum have reported fully operational devices with 0KB. I myself experienced 0KB, lag-free.

App memory is NOT like RAM on a computer.
    From Giant Cashew's MeterBerry web site:

"Q: What exactly is "application memory"? How does it relate to the other memory on the Storm?

A: The Blackberry Storm has 1 GB of internal flash, or device memory. 128 MB of that flash is allocated as application space, the other 872 MB is allocated as data space. The Storm also has 192 MB of traditional RAM. These memory spaces are used as follows:

1. When they are running, the Operating System (OS) and applications both use the 192 MB of traditional RAM like your computer does. Temporary, volatile storage.

2. All applications are stored in the application space. Whatever room is free in the application space is used by the OS for paging when your phone is running, similar to what your computer does with its hard drive and swap file. Applications can only be stored and run from the application space.

3. The data space is used for an internal file system, as well as storage of things like pictures, ring tones, etc. You cannot store and run applications from the data space.

When you go to Options -> Memory, the "Application Memory" entry refers to the free space in the application block of the internal flash.

So, when you install applications the free space in the application block decreases. And because the application block is also used for paging, the free space fluctuates over time as you use your phone.

I would hypothesize that the reason RIM doesn't display the free RAM under Options -> Memory is because the RAM is used by the OS in addition to applications. It wildly fluctuates all over the place as the phone is running, and doesn't give you any real measure of what's going on. But if an application has a true memory leak as is described above, you would be able to detect it by looking at the free application memory. And of course your free application memory also tells you how much room you have left for applications."

There's more good reading there.
    Last edited by Ultrafied; 04-20-09 at 09:06 PM.
    04-20-09 05:33 PM
    It is a huge deal
    high memory = better faster storm
    Lower mem = slower laggy storm

Most evident under 10 mb free

Its that simple

04-20-09 05:44 PM
    Oh and today a colleague was upset their storm was dissapointing because the had the clock constantly on their phone all day. I manage to get to the mem screen and it had 0. Whoever said they had a fully functional storm with 0 mb remaining....what can I say

04-20-09 05:48 PM
    It is a huge deal
    high memory = better faster storm
    Lower mem = slower laggy storm

Most evident under 10 mb free

Its that simple

Prove it.
    04-20-09 05:53 PM
    So if I'm constantly running between 20 and 35 mb I shouldn't care?
    I've kinda become obsessed looking to see how much memory I have free and it bums me out when I see people with 60 mb free at start up...
    I don't really notice the speed difference when it gets to 20 mb but I cant help but wonder how fast it would be if I could actually get it to 60 mb like some posters claim.
    I'm still running .75 by the way...I'm a little chicken to upgrade to a leak because I'm a noob...
    I'm tempted to take the plunge but I'm worried about frying my Storm..which I love.

04-20-09 07:59 PM
    Ok...this is something that makes no sense and maybe someone out there can help me figure this out.

I'm running .114 and after a fresh battery pull I have about 30 megs of free memory. I never have any more than 30 free megs at any given time. I have BuzzMe and Wallpaper Shuffle running all the time, but even with those 2 programs disabled I still never have more than 30 free megs of memory.

The memory cleaner is a good attempt to try and free up some memory, but it only manages to give me an extra 2-5 more megs.

I have Quickpull installed and that seems to be the only way to bring me back up to 30 free megs.

Now here is the question - how can I increase my free memory? I read on here that if I delete all the unused apps that it would help, but after deleting 6 apps the free memory is still hovering at 30 megs. I don't think deleting apps is the answer because they are not actually running in the background so how can those apps affect the free memory??

If I didn't have Quickpull do a reset on the phone every day I would watch my memory fall down below 10 over the course of a couple days. I know that low memory causes that damn hourglass to pop up all the time and I would really like to increase my memory above 30 megs, but it just doesn't seem possible...unless someone knows something I don't and is willing to share that info.
    04-21-09 02:37 PM
    Where did you get the idea that having about 30mb free memory is a bad thing?
    04-21-09 02:48 PM
    Now here is the question - how can I increase my free memory? I read on here that if I delete all the unused apps that it would help, but after deleting 6 apps the free memory is still hovering at 30 megs. I don't think deleting apps is the answer because they are not actually running in the background so how can those apps affect the free memory??
    from my previous post on Page 1 -
    1. When they are running, the Operating System (OS) and applications both use the 192 MB of traditional RAM like your computer does. Temporary, volatile storage.

2. All applications are stored in the application space. Whatever room is free in the application space is used by the OS for paging when your phone is running, similar to what your computer does with its hard drive and swap file. Applications can only be stored and run from the application space.
    04-21-09 02:56 PM
    If you're worried about App Memory, buy MeterBerry. It has an alert system with reboot option (I believe since I never use the reboot option) that will trigger a soft-reset if app memory gets too low.

I do not bother worrying about app memory. The apps I want are loaded and my memory fluctuates anywhere from 15 mb to 30 mb, depending on how messy I am with applications (have left GMM and the media player running overnight before).
    04-21-09 03:02 PM
    I guess I really hate the hourglass and the waiting when switching between apps. Maybe this is just how the phone works, but I was looking to squeeze more memory out of it with someone's magical solution lol!

I would love to see it work flawlessly without seeing the hourglass and without pauses when I'm switching apps.

Oh well...here's to hoping that the next Blackberry has more memory and less hourglass!

In thwe meantime, I will run my BB on .114 and hope that Telus releases an upgrade for the OS ASAP!

Thanks guys - you've been helpful as always - love this site!!!
    04-21-09 04:02 PM
    Let's see: more room for apps, faster performance + less freezing up/lag. Yeah I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    04-21-09 05:27 PM
    To answer the original question: It's like money in that it's never a problem until you don't have enough.

Which is why people obsess about both app memory and money: Fear of not having enough...
    04-21-09 05:42 PM
    I'm always worried about how much my memory goes down. Right after I do a battery pull I have a lot more memory than I do during the day. It used to bother me but my phone has never had a problem or lagged because of it. I'll worry about it when it starts slowing down or I have none left
    04-21-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD