My first BB was a Pearl 8100. I had it for 2 years and as time went on and more cool apps came out, my memory fell and fell. Of course it was because I installed more and more apps. But by the time I gave the Pearl up I only had about 7 3rd party apps, but with the memory leak I usually fell to about 10MB by the end of the 2nd or 3rd day. So reboots where necessary.

I was hoping to GOD that when RIM came out with their next models they would either:

1. Figure out how to stop memory leaks.
    or
    2. Give us enough memory that we would not have to worry.

Fine, don't spend research on how to stop memory leaks. BUT why is it that they have failed on both counts? Almost half the topics on here always get back to memory leaks.

I know the Storm has 128MB of flash memory for the OS and apps. BUT WHY or WHY did they not add more memory for the OS and APPS. 1GB of internal memory just for Media. It would have been soooo great if that was the memory for the OS and APPS.

We should not be spending so much effort trying to figure out how to stop memory leaks or delete some software and keep other. It just does not make any sense today when memory is sooo cheap.

With my Storm now, I have to reboot every day and while I start the day at about 36MB now by 8pm I am down to about 15MB.

Why doesn't RIM realize this?
    03-25-09 07:12 PM
    I have the same issue but I do use mine a lot, i'm running .114 with V1 hybrid.....
    03-25-09 07:16 PM
    One other thing these phones use java which has automatic garbage collection which is supposed to clean up memory leaks. why is it so prevalent?
    03-25-09 07:21 PM
    How do you check your memory usage on the storm?
    03-25-09 07:23 PM
    How do you check your memory usage on the storm?
    Go into options and then click memory. Its down @ the bottom

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 07:27 PM
    OP

I feel the exact same way as you do. I asked this myself last year but I never got a valid response. Why the current price of memory there should definitely be more in our Bb's

My first BB was a Pearl 8100. I had it for 2 years and as time went on and more cool apps came out, my memory fell and fell. Of course it was because I installed more and more apps. But by the time I gave the Pearl up I only had about 7 3rd party apps, but with the memory leak I usually fell to about 10MB by the end of the 2nd or 3rd day. So reboots where necessary.

I was hoping to GOD that when RIM came out with their next models they would either:

1. Figure out how to stop memory leaks.
    or
    2. Give us enough memory that we would not have to worry.

Fine, don't spend research on how to stop memory leaks. BUT why is it that they have failed on both counts? Almost half the topics on here always get back to memory leaks.

I know the Storm has 128MB of flash memory for the OS and apps. BUT WHY or WHY did they not add more memory for the OS and APPS. 1GB of internal memory just for Media. It would have been soooo great if that was the memory for the OS and APPS.

We should not be spending so much effort trying to figure out how to stop memory leaks or delete some software and keep other. It just does not make any sense today when memory is sooo cheap.

With my Storm now, I have to reboot every day and while I start the day at about 36MB now by 8pm I am down to about 15MB.

Why doesn't RIM realize this?
    03-25-09 07:28 PM
    MeterBerry is a nifty app to monitor memory & battery..

PotBB

03-25-09 07:30 PM
    I understand the whole frustration with the memory leaks but I was wondering if maybe you could be running some third party app that could be causing this problem. I've noticed that many of my problems were easily fixed by trashing a app. I haven't had to do a batter pull due to a memory leak sing .75 came out.
    03-25-09 07:47 PM
    I understand the whole frustration with the memory leaks but I was wondering if maybe you could be running some third party app that could be causing this problem. I've noticed that many of my problems were easily fixed by trashing a app. I haven't had to do a batter pull due to a memory leak sing .75 came out.
    Exactly. 90% of the time leaks are caused by 3rd party apps. 3rd party themes also apply.
    03-25-09 07:52 PM
    Exactly. 90% of the time leaks are caused by 3rd party apps. 3rd party themes also apply.
    Yup, I think the theme issue is an issue with Plazmic, IIRC... Not sure if it's still an issue in the final, but I know it was in the beta.
    03-25-09 11:01 PM
    Yea I notice that most of the memory leaks are coming from 3rd party themes. I am down to like 3mb after 12 hours. I am back to using the original theme just to test my theory but I am sure it has been proven already!
    03-25-09 11:17 PM
    I believe I read google map is a killer. I was down to about 15 free memory yesterday.

I deleted google maps. bb light and a few other non essential apps. and I was sitting at 40 all day.

so far today Ive already gone down to 23 though.
    03-26-09 11:31 AM
    Vlingo is a killer

03-26-09 12:14 PM
    First Blackberry that comes out for Verizon this year, I'm buying. Tired of this Storm
    03-26-09 12:16 PM
    First Blackberry that comes out for Verizon this year, I'm buying. Tired of this Storm
    Just to you know. . All Blackberry's leak memory.

But more then that. Even if 80% of the problem is caused by 3rd party apps, then Rim should keep this in mind when writing OS updates. Have memory not used clean/refresh automatically. Enforce apps somehow to manage their own memory better.

BUT MORE THEN THIS. Consider the fact that some apps will always have some memory problems, SO . . . Include more OS memory when building new BlackBerry's. What's the use of a MultiMedia large screen Blackberry if you cannot download and use a variety of 3rd party apps. Even some that might have memory leaks.

The most free memory I heard of people having when they install an OS is around 40MB. That is if you don't install any BB or 3rd party apps. I know some can get more free memory but that is only by deleting unused OS apps, which the average user has no idea how to do. But still wants to effectively use the phone and download advertised apps OTA.

Insted of 40MB of free memory to install our own apps. There should be 100's of MB free.

I personally think that RIM is really shooting themselves in the foot with this overlooked problem.
    03-26-09 12:56 PM
    im witchu mo
    03-26-09 01:35 PM
    Just to you know. . All Blackberry's leak memory.

But more then that. Even if 80% of the problem is caused by 3rd party apps, then Rim should keep this in mind when writing OS updates. Have memory not used clean/refresh automatically. Enforce apps somehow to manage their own memory better.

BUT MORE THEN THIS. Consider the fact that some apps will always have some memory problems, SO . . . Include more OS memory when building new BlackBerry's. What's the use of a MultiMedia large screen Blackberry if you cannot download and use a variety of 3rd party apps. Even some that might have memory leaks.

The most free memory I heard of people having when they install an OS is around 40MB. That is if you don't install any BB or 3rd party apps. I know some can get more free memory but that is only by deleting unused OS apps, which the average user has no idea how to do. But still wants to effectively use the phone and download advertised apps OTA.

Insted of 40MB of free memory to install our own apps. There should be 100's of MB free.

I personally think that RIM is really shooting themselves in the foot with this overlooked problem.
    I know. Trust me. I had a curve. End of the day, this is possibly the most I've complained about a phone ever in my life
    03-26-09 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD