ever since getting my 9530, at the top of the screen just below the date and the time, its got a 1 with the message symbol. i have no voicemails. i do have visual voicemail, and no messages there either. my mailbox is completely empty. why is this here?
    11-27-08 01:24 PM
    Try looking into your messages folder not MMS/SMS but a lot of the time I get missed calls saved into that folder and make that show up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 01:33 PM
    ever since getting my 9530, at the top of the screen just below the date and the time, its got a 1 with the message symbol. i have no voicemails. i do have visual voicemail, and no messages there either. my mailbox is completely empty. why is this here?
    I had that happen too. Its probably the "Welcome to Verizon Wireless" message. It took me an hour to figure that out..lol Just open and close it.
    11-27-08 02:38 PM
    tried that. i cleared all the missed calls out of messages, none there. it shows "1 o_o" at the top. I have cleared all voicemails and all messages and emails. any other ideas?
    11-27-08 02:41 PM
    If you have checked all the message folders then you could try a battery pull to see if that clears things up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 02:43 PM
    There are a bunch of people that have this problem including myself except mine says I have 2 voice mails. A battery pull did not fix it either. I had two voice mails when I installed visual voicemail so my guess it was a software issue or it didn't update on my phone. Thats only a guess and just hope it gets fixed when we see an update.
    11-27-08 02:50 PM
    Try deleting Visual Voicemail and see if it goes away. If it does, just reinstall it.
    Last edited by atang79; 11-27-08 at 04:22 PM.
    11-27-08 02:56 PM
    FIX.

This is particularly annoying because the message indicator blocks the day/date. I even tried reinstalling the OS to no avail.

Here is what I did to fix it:

1) Call customer service, have them manually remove voicemail ("VM") and visual voicemail ("VV") from your service plan.

2) Battery pull while on phone with customer service.

3) Have customer service reinstate VM only, not VV>

4) Battery back in, turn it on. (Mine still said I had one voicemail).

5) Customer service rep left a message.

6) I had to go through the full VM procedure again (to set it up).

7) I listened to the new message through VM, deleted it, then exited properly by pressing *.

8) Message indicator is now clear. I then re-initiated VV.

*** From various accounts here and hofo, I think the problem occurs when you initiate VV while you have voicemails currently in your inbox. That's what happened to me and many others.

Good luck.
    11-27-08 02:59 PM
    If you have myspace or facebook and you are signed into them when you get a notification it will put a little icon up on the top of the screen also. Unless you actually sign out of them.
    11-27-08 03:02 PM
    there has to be a more simple way than going through the verizon rep and deleting everything. if i can find it or anyone else doesnt know, i guess thats what illl have to do. ill give it a couple more days and see if it goes away or if a fix comes out soon. where is this update or service pack everyones talking about!
    11-27-08 03:35 PM
    there has to be a more simple way than going through the verizon rep and deleting everything. if i can find it or anyone else doesnt know, i guess thats what illl have to do. ill give it a couple more days and see if it goes away or if a fix comes out soon. where is this update or service pack everyones talking about!
    Nope... you have to call tech support to get them to fix it.
    BlackBerry Storm 9530 - Post Launch Items Reported as of 11/25/08
    • Reports of the Message Waiting Indicator (from previous messages in the customer's mailbox) not being updated when a customer downloads the Visual Voicemail Application.

Action: 11/25 Status - Customers should be directed to [VZW Internal Department Name] for assistance in resolving the issue. The Visual Voicemail team is working to determine if this item can be addressed in an updated application.
    Waiting a couple of days isn't going to solve it.
    11-27-08 04:19 PM
    ok. got this fixed. i did have to call verizon, spent an hour with them on the phone. they ended up putting in some escalated trouble ticket thursday night, and this morning, saturday, i got a text from them saying the problem had been resloved and the message waiting indicator was gone. all fixed. maybe they fixed them all?
    11-29-08 09:08 AM
    Just got off the phone with VZN Tech Support on this issue.

I had this issue and after trying all the actions listed above I still had the Icons!!! So Tech Support had me check my SMS/MMS folder and there they were! Each of the voice mail message alerts were there! I deleted them and the icon is now gone. No need for the VM service removal and all that!

BTW, I had this issue even though I didn't have VVm on my service! Just VM Service and the Icon stayed there after i checked and deleted the VM Messages.
    Last edited by chasvs; 12-01-08 at 10:27 AM.
    12-01-08 09:20 AM
    on mine i had emptied everything, every mms, text, email, voicemail, etc and so on. i completely cleared it all out and still had it. it was definately a true tech support issue.
    12-01-08 05:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD