Just like the "soft opening" of a store or theme park... some things are only found once you get your product in the hands of the mass market. They do "beta test" these phones with people prior to release but I think most beta testers have tested so many things that they know the quick fixes and perhaps don't report as clearly what is truely wrong with the device. Then there's always the play with it till it breaks factor..lol.
    lol common man ... yes your right. But in this case there was either NO testing, or they overlooked all the reports.

"sir we have our testing report ready for you ..."
    "cant type well"
    "wont rotate"
    "random reboots"
    "camera is not usable"
    "laggy"
    "ok sounds great, ill call up VZW tell um we got a final and ready to release for black friday!"

12-07-08 12:27 AM
    My coworker has a very close friend of family who happens to be a "C level" employee of VZW! I hounded him for a month for info on storm, when it would be released, etc. Finally its out, so we didnt need that info anymore ... now he asked her "so what do you think? is this a great phone?"

he expected her to rant and rave about it since she works there ... she told him "do not buy the storm, wait for the omni (or omnia?)" I dont know what the omnia is, i don't follow phones closely other than the storm ..... but from a c-level (CEO, CIO, CTO, CFO, etc) employee, saying just dont get this phone ...

so he isnt. But i will, in a week or so. I already told my wife its my xmas gift hehe
    Omnia is from Samsung. It's been released in asia for a long time already. It jams alot from the ppl I know who uses it. So.. I guess the person who told ur friend to wait for the omnia don't know what he's talking about.
    12-07-08 12:40 AM
    lol common man ... yes your right. But in this case there was either NO testing, or they overlooked all the reports.

"cant type well"
    "wont rotate"
    "random reboots"
    "camera is not usable"
    "laggy"
    "ok sounds great, ill call up VZW tell um we got a final and ready to release for black friday!"

I'm guessing they knew about this, but it could be a problem with compatible software from verizon, i.e. preinstalled VZ navigatiion. The UK version doesn't seem to have as many problems as the US version.
    12-07-08 12:44 AM
    im not making a joke, i was referring to the sorm, or the OS, or whatever ... i posted from my sh*tty iphone so i didnt want to type too much but i will elaborate now lol

Firstly, as i have said in many of my posts, i will be buying the storm soon regardless of issues. i believe i will truly love it! And as of the last few days with the OS leaks and all, i think it has improved greatly!

BUT i was wondering why they didnt just slap the "Beta" tag on it, and save themselves the initial nonsense that went with the original release, and all the negative reviews, bad feedback, returns, etc.

If they absolutely HAD to release it early (as is evident) why didnt they just save face and slap it with the "Beta" tag??

But let me be clear im not bashing the storm! I think its coming around, and it will be flawless in the very near future. But nobody can deny the rough start it had!

Some of us are business men and need the device to perform flawlessly at the time of purchase, no time for OS updates, or glitches, or bugs, or business cards behind the battery type stuff.

AND OFF TOPIC ... i stopped at a VZW store in a mall today and watched that movie trailer for the first time ... WOW what a screen! i did try some typing but they had some security cables around the stupid thing so i couldn't get crazy but it still seemed good!

So i dont have to make a new topic, can someone answer here ... how does this Storm screen compare to the Bold screen? I watched Speed Racer preview on Bold and it was breathtaking!!!
    Wow - you could've said some of that in your title and I wouldn't have wasted time reading your post. -- You owe me 5 minutes that I'll never get back.
    12-07-08 12:48 AM
    Just like the "soft opening" of a store or theme park... some things are only found once you get your product in the hands of the mass market. They do "beta test" these phones with people prior to release but I think most beta testers have tested so many things that they know the quick fixes and perhaps don't report as clearly what is truely wrong with the device. Then there's always the play with it till it breaks factor..lol.
    Are you serious? They just had to rotate the phone once and make a few phone calls and they could see the problems this phone has.
    12-07-08 12:51 AM

"cant type well"
    "wont rotate"
    "random reboots"
    "camera is not usable"
    "laggy"

I love the phone but some of the issues above make my treo 700p seem like a better phone.. Verizon wireless is going to announce a great increase in sales the 4th quarter with a huge drop in 1st quarter of 2009.. Good thing their buying Alltel..If Verizon keeps up these P.R. stunts all the time they won't be in business too long
    12-07-08 01:11 AM
    Are you serious? They just had to rotate the phone once and make a few phone calls and they could see the problems this phone has.
    Quite serious actually! I work retail and have been involved with many store openings in which things happened that had not previously occured but due to volume, use, whatever they just appeared. I see a huge number of people countering the arguements of the problems you site indicating that this is not a consistant problem and therefore has only appeared once into the mass market. This could be related to something as simple as a manufacturing facility issue, where only phones from that location are having issues. We would never likely hear this from RIM but who knows. That's why the release of any product to market comes with the risk of issues.

Here's an example. 2 years ago in NASCAR, Chevy came out with a new engine and fuel pump design. They tested the heck out of these parts in simulated and live test runs both on track and on dino till they were ready to release these parts for use in real race situations. In the first 2 races they were used, a single part, the fuel pump drive shaft, failed in 6 cars. This is a problem that no amount of testing brought to light untill the parts were put into their intended use and the problems were found, fixed and have since run successfully. There's no telling what problems Verizon knew about but I doubt they would release a device that they did not feel they could fix on the fly just like every other device they have released.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 12-07-08 at 01:43 AM.
    12-07-08 01:34 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD