look i know its exciting that .83 leaked and everyone is excited but if you dont know what your doing leave it alone and wait for the official verizon update!!! People are having problems that are from either inexperience or just rushing through the instructions without paying attention.Its nice to have leaked versions but you need to know what your doing.there have been numerous posts on how to do this from don or cx so pay attention or just wait for the update so you dont have to be frustrated with wiping the device or numerous batt pulls etc.
    12-21-08 09:18 AM
    because people are people. thats why.
    12-21-08 09:22 AM
    I agree with you on this in every aspect.

Reading is fundamental and it seems it is a lost art and is in hiding with searching where others cant find it........
    12-21-08 09:22 AM
    People are upgrading because they want more out of their Storm. I can't blame them. Also, there will be nothing different between the beta version and the Official one. But I do agree that people who are unexperienced should probably wait.
    12-21-08 09:24 AM
    I think just like a lot of other things, people kind of treat this as a hobby.....experimenting with the phone. Trying the latest OS before it's released....doing things themselves. It's "secretly" exciting.
    12-21-08 09:34 AM
    Most people want the most out of their products and updating the OS on the Storm will help achieve that. Why wait for an official release? You can always update again as it's a simple procedure and takes only about 20 minutes.
    12-21-08 09:36 AM
    Im still confused on how to delete the vendor file. so im not touching mine till the offical release I dont want to ruin the phone. I already had a customer come in and try to replace the device do to a leaked version of the OS just a heads up if you put the program on the phone before the offical release you void your warrenty. The reps have been told to check the OS before doing anything.
    12-21-08 09:41 AM
    People are upgrading because they want more out of their Storm. I can't blame them. Also, there will be nothing different between the beta version and the Official one. But I do agree that people who are unexperienced should probably wait.
    Do you have proof of this,I tend to think there is I difference in the official and leaked version,but maybe its me,sure would like anyone to give concrete proof that there isn't a difference,anyone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 09:43 AM
    We do it because we all love to tweak and more important we all love the hardware portion of our storm's. The software on the other hand is the only thing limiting our phones. So far .83 is much much better then .75 for me.

To be honest I don't think experience even comes into play. If people would just READ they will be 100% fine. I mean there is tons and tons of information in these posts. Even step by step instructions that people for some reason refuse to follow, instead they rather just get the .exe rip through it, have issues then ask questions on how to fix their phone rather then just reading before hand.

Another issue is the amount of new topics made per update. It doesn't make it any easier when there is 10 different .83 posts being made per day.

It's simple, read. If you think you can follow directions do it, if not, wait for the official update.

So far every update installed fine for me, and I appreciate the help guys
    12-21-08 10:07 AM
    Look guys - we're addicts. I'm not having problems but if I was - I wouldn't regret upgrading and I WOULD be frustrated becasue I DO want more out of my Storm. This forum exists to help those that need it. All of us were inexperienced at one time or another and needed to get help somewhere.
    12-21-08 10:11 AM
    does it take this long for them to implement the new .83 to OTA? from a common sense reasoning perspective, it seems that they arent releasing it yet as OTA because they are doing some last minute tweaking. again, i might be in the woods on this one.
    12-21-08 10:17 AM
    A leaked upgrade to a BB owner, is like that hot new crack to a crackhead.
    12-21-08 10:18 AM
    The OS is complete. Right now they're just checking over everything to make sure it's ready to go. It wouldn't get leaked if it wasn't ready to go. Any changes at this point would probably be un-noticeable.
    12-21-08 10:19 AM
    .83 is the official one, if it was something else it wouldn't be .83 it would be a higher number indicating a change - .85 if they updated something for instance.

If its still .83 on release then that is the official release, and the same thing people are using right now.

people are just stupid and don't know what they are doing when they upgrade and delete random stuff or don't know how to fix minor problems because they aren't updating there phones the easy ******-free way that they give it to you.
    12-21-08 10:20 AM
    Because the leaked OS would be the same OS that would be used if Verizon chooses to release it. Who even knows if Verizon will release .83, and if they choose not to (and probably even if they chose to release the .83 OS), we will probably be waiting for at least another month since it takes so long.

And if I apply your argument to the 8830 World Edition, I would be forever waiting for the 4.5 OS since Verizon has decided not to support it. Why? Who knows? Maybe because they are phasing out the 8830 and hence don't want to support it, or because they want 8830 users who still have OS 4.2 to have a reason to upgrade and lock in another contract. Because of this I upgraded my employee's phone to the 4.5 OS and he is very happy with the improvements, including the ability to use YouTube, which he would never had if he was waiting on Verizon's official version.

I like Verizon's network and have found the customer service to be great but their availability of prompt OS updates (or even just updating the OS at all) is nonexistent (and I understand there are probably a lot of hoops to jump through to get an OS update, but I really don't care) and therefore will always use the leaked OS. If it is good enough for RIM to distribute to someone who would leak it then it is definitely good enough for my BlackBerry.
    12-21-08 10:23 AM
    I will be waiting for the official...again because I'm a pu$sy and I worry too much about bricking my phone.
    12-21-08 10:26 AM
    Im still confused on how to delete the vendor file. so im not touching mine till the offical release I dont want to ruin the phone. I already had a customer come in and try to replace the device do to a leaked version of the OS just a heads up if you put the program on the phone before the offical release you void your warrenty. The reps have been told to check the OS before doing anything.
    It's quite simple. You install the OS to the computer. Then go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader and delete the Vendor Xml file. Plug in the device> Then go back to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader and double click the Loader.exe file

Do you have proof of this,I tend to think there is I difference in the official and leaked version,but maybe its me,sure would like anyone to give concrete proof that there isn't a difference,anyone?

I know theres no difference. That's not how it works. The firmware is made at RIM. It's then tested and distributed to the carriers who test it. If they like it, they certify it, and it's released. If not, they wait on the next one. The only difference between a beta and the Official release is that the beta is stamped Official.
    12-21-08 10:36 AM
    I will be waiting for the official...again because I'm a pu$sy and I worry too much about bricking my phone.
    You run the same risk installing the official as you do with the leak. The steps don't change

12-21-08 10:40 AM
    ok i understand its beta and maybe it will be the official but knowone knows for sure what vzw will do.they might want issue a higher os version.anyway im going to wait hopefully next week they will release it but who knows.My phone works fine on .75 so ill just sit back and wait.What ever you guys do again read the instructions for the .83 beta before you attempt it!!! it will save you a whole alot of frustration by going step by step carefully.
    12-21-08 10:46 AM
    I agree with the OP CX let's us know there is an update coming
    And evryone gets all crazy and mad that they don't have. Then the leak comes and the same folks that were mad they didn't get it earlier are the ones that end up on the forum whining how it sucks or they brick their phone.

12-21-08 10:52 AM
    Who cares what other people do to their phones? If you want to wait for the official release, go right ahead. Don't concern yourself with things that are none of your business; just worry about your own phone.
    12-21-08 10:53 AM
    A leaked upgrade to a BB owner, is like that hot new crack to a crackhead.
    Word...

Only difference is crackheads don't post stupid questions on how to smoke their new crack rock and complain that it doesn't work.
    12-21-08 10:55 AM
    Word...

Only difference is crackheads don't post stupid questions on how to smoke their new crack rock and complain that it doesn't work.
    and we wouldnt complain if it did what crack does to crack heads.
    12-21-08 10:58 AM
    I don't know why it is hard to do the update, I got my storm about 2 days ago and did my update last night, I downloaded the update .83, downloaded Blackberry DM 4.7 , installed both and plugged in phone, about 30-50 mins later, it was done, simple, no problems etc. NO need to delete Vendor file etc.
    12-21-08 11:05 AM
    why should i wait when i can have what verizon and rim should have had when i bought the phone? i dont feel like waiting another 1,2,3 weeks or whenever verizon chooses to release their update. i want it now! ADD and the desire for instant gratification come into play too.. but still.

as for everyone having troubles and those helping.. if you dont want to help you dont have to. some people just like helping

.83 makes so many things work faster.. internet, camera (oh thank g-d for this.. its actually worth using now), the screen, the music player.
    12-21-08 11:18 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD