A friend of mine recently gave me his Bold to play with -- and all I could say was - "wow"..............it was so much faster than my Storm.

Does anyone think when Rimm finally comes out with all their OS updates it will equal that speed (or even come close)?
    12-14-08 03:19 PM
    From what I recall, the processor and RAM of the phone is the same in the Bold as it is on the Storm. Add in SurePress, a much larger screen, accelerometer better media playback, etc. etc, and it simply can't keep up like it can with the Bold's capabilities.
    12-14-08 03:21 PM
    The bold has a faster processor I believe. I have both and although faster. The storm is more fun to use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 03:22 PM
    The Storm probably spends a good chunk of time dealing with the touch screen.
    12-14-08 03:23 PM
    The bold has a faster processor I believe. I have both and although faster. The storm is more fun to use.

Yep, according to wikipedia the storm has a "528 MHz Qualcomm processor on Verizon model" and the Bold has a "624 MHz Marvell Tavor PXA930"

So yeah, its faster on the Bold.
    12-14-08 03:25 PM
    The Storm has a slower processor, which powers everything including all of those radios, including that big screen.

12-14-08 03:27 PM
    The Storm probably spends a good chunk of time dealing with the touch screen.
    Yea, I guess with the faster processor and all the other items mentioned it won't ever be as fast -- but I'm ok with that (cause I love it).
    12-14-08 03:33 PM
    Actually what you are saying is totally untrue. the phones use different chip architecture. a 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo is WAY faster than a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4. The clock speed doesnt tell all. Also if you ever played with the bold or look at videos that were shown early on right before the bold was released there were a lot of interface glitches and things that were slow as well. Just the software update a chance and the RIM engineers a chance to optimize and tighten the code up so it doesnt take some many processing cycles to do certain tasks!
    12-14-08 03:36 PM
    Actually what you are saying is totally untrue. the phones use different chip architecture. a 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo is WAY faster than a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4. The clock speed doesnt tell all. Also if you ever played with the bold or look at videos that were shown early on right before the bold was released there were a lot of interface glitches and things that were slow as well. Just the software update a chance and the RIM engineers a chance to optimize and tighten the code up so it doesnt take some many processing cycles to do certain tasks!
    I'm sorry, but the Storm will not be as fast as the Bold. It has more things to handle. Touchscreen technology takes a big toll on the processor.
    12-14-08 03:39 PM
    I would also think that the Bold has a few months on the Storm for OS tweaks and refinements to squeeze out extra performance, as pointed out by ddarvish.

Granted the touchscreen might require a bit more processing, but probably not quite as much as people might think.

Also, hasn't the Wikipedia info been shown to be wrong already? Usually you can at least count on Wikipedia to be accurate when all they have to do is copy and paste some info from an official spec sheet and the subject matter is in no way controversial, but obviously this just goes to show you can't even count on that always being true. So I guess the 11th commandment still holds true: Thou shalt not quote Wikipedia and expect to be taken seriously.
    12-14-08 03:54 PM
    I would also think that the Bold has a few months on the Storm for OS tweaks and refinements to squeeze out extra performance, as pointed out by ddarvish.

Granted the touchscreen might require a bit more processing, but probably not quite as much as people might think.

Also, hasn't the Wikipedia info been shown to be wrong already? Usually you can at least count on Wikipedia to be accurate when all they have to do is copy and paste some info from an official spec sheet and the subject matter is in no way controversial, but obviously this just goes to show you can't even count on that always being true. So I guess the 11th commandment still holds true: Thou shalt not quote Wikipedia and expect to be taken seriously.
    It is the truth. The Storm processor is slower than the Bolds. If you don't believe me, believe CX

The Storm has a slower processor, which powers everything including all of those radios, including that big screen.
    12-14-08 03:57 PM
    The Storms processor is slower than the Bolds. Now granted architecture plays the biggest role in the process, you can't ignore the internals. You have quadband EDGE radio, dual band CDMA, and single band HSPA, plus you have the accelerometer, the huge screen, and more. Can better firmware help the speed? Yes. But it will not approach the speed of the Bold.

12-14-08 04:05 PM
    Guys I believe you are all mistaken about the processor being slower. Phonewreck.com did a tear down on both the Storm and the bold. If you look at their Wiki it clearly states the Storm's processor at 624 mhz.

BlackBerry Storm - phoneWreck

Also another point to consider is that screen size is not a factor here as the actual screen resolution between the Bold and Storm are identical.

The accelerometer and touch elements may impact performance, how-ever I believe one HUGE factor is the CDMA implementation. I have noticed a serious performance impact with the CDMA chipset versions of identical class/models of RIMs devices. i.e. 8310 and 8330 or 8120 and 8130.
    Last edited by atomic.flip; 12-14-08 at 04:20 PM.
    12-14-08 04:17 PM
    I think there is some misunderstanding of what others have said here:
    1) Processor clock speed is not as large a factor in the "speed" - i.e., what it can do in a given amount of time - as you would think. Other factors in processor and device architecture are more important.

2) The touch screen processing - figuring out where it is being touched and displaying graphics to indicate so - is an "expensive" task.

3) As has been said, the number of radios and protocols being handled will also impact performance.

In many ways the Storm is simply a more complicated device, so the processor is going to be beat harder. As will battery life.
    12-14-08 04:39 PM

CX, what's the second proc used for on the Storm platform? Is it strickly a security cruncher or has it been redesignated for something else?
    12-14-08 04:52 PM
    by the way i turn off the GSM radio on my phone so i dont think it has to worry about powering and processing that quadband and umts radio.

and for anyone who still think clock speed is NOT relevant then you obviously havent heard how a 1.6 Ghz Intel Centrino 2 will destroy a 3.0 Ghz AMD Turion. anyhow lets revisit this thread in 6 months and see how far we have gotten.
    Last edited by ddarvish; 12-14-08 at 05:03 PM.
    12-14-08 05:00 PM
    I want to turn off my GSM Radio. Please tell me how...I can't even find my radio?

Thanks,

Grey
    12-14-08 05:12 PM
    The storms processor handles Audio Codecs, GPS, and the likes. While on the bold all these chipsets are seperate and work on their own, as far as I know feel free to correct me.
    12-14-08 05:13 PM
    i know im gonna get stoned for this... but what power plant does the iphone use? sure the touchscreen takes some processing power but then any touchscreen phone should be super laggy. the iphone, obviously not perfect, is pretty freaking smooth. Im in no way saying the iphone is better, just pointing out an observation.
    12-14-08 05:16 PM
    OS has a lot to do with it when comparing the iPhone to the Storm
    The iPhone's processor runs @ something like 4xx megahertz but is much smoother imo
    12-14-08 05:31 PM
    The iPhone's processor runs @ something like 4xx megahertz but is much smoother imo
    That is because of the iPhone UI.
    12-14-08 05:41 PM
    The iPhone OS also doesn't allow multitasking. For example, hold down the Menu button and pull up the application list. All of those applications are constantly being run in the background by the CPU on the storm. Although they may be idle, they are still there and using clocks. Where as on the iPhone, one application must be closed in order to use the next... which is why it will never be a true communication device. The only thing the iPhone processor is doing when the phone is idle is sending info to and from a cell tower/satellite. (And displaying the screen, but I think the iPhone has a dedicated GPU)
    12-14-08 05:46 PM
    I'm sorry, but the Storm will not be as fast as the Bold. It has more things to handle. Touchscreen technology takes a big toll on the processor.
    No it doesn't... If its done right the touch screen takes ZERO processing time until you touch it. Then when you touch it a device provides an interrupt to the processor. This can also be a relatively low priority interrupt because honestly getting around to handling the users requests is low priority cause in the grand scheme of things the user is the slowest part of the system.

Touch screens aren't that big of a deal. Not all that much more than having a full qwerty keyboard on the thing. The keyboard is probably going a row column addressing scheme or perhaps even scan codes where as with the touch screen all you have to do is suck the X and Y data out of a few AtoD's. If done right the touchscreen controller can even wait until after the AtoD converter has values converted before interrupting the processor.
    12-14-08 05:47 PM
    lol so the question is, why wouldnt rim put an even BETTER processor than the bold has in it?

bold = fast
    storm = loaded more than bold so therefore must = faster proc than bold?

no?

idiots.
    12-14-08 05:47 PM
    I think this has more to do with hardware video acceleration than the OS.
    12-14-08 05:49 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD