I have been greatly considering the storm as my next phone. However, engadget.com has just voted the storm the worst gadget of the year. So I as you-- Why the the blackberry storm over all other blackberries and phones out there??
    03-31-09 11:49 AM
    Why do you care how endgaget ranked it? If you want it, get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 11:53 AM
    Yeah I agree, the Storm ain't perfect but Engadget has historically been pro-Apple (consider the number of Apple products in engadget's top products list to get an idea). Engadget posted a review of the Storm when the device was in its early testing stage and hasn't given it the benefit of an updated review since.

In any event, the Storm is fine, although, if you're not tied to Verizon and you don't mind ATT, then get an iPhone instead.
    03-31-09 11:57 AM
    Storm is FAR from Perfect VERY FAR, and almost kinda agree is does suck and would drop it in a heartbeat for a Verizon iPhone. But we all know that's not gonna happen. ATT is horrid in my area so I got the Storm and I love it... Even though it does suck... It's my Storm and I love it. lol
    03-31-09 12:02 PM
    I'm new-ish to the site, but I have to say, I really like this phone. I've had Windoze Mobile in the past, and have worked with a lot of Samsungs, and other BBerries. I have noticed a tiny bit of lag here and there, but I'm also running .75. I expect the lagging to go away with the next firmware update. Then, for me, this will be the perfect phone. Great browsing, awesome E-mail (I get it on my phone way before my computer), great screen quality, enough apps to keep me happy, even without App World.

In terms of this vs. another BBerry, it all comes down to whether you like the click screen. It took me about 3 days to get used to it, now I wouldn't want anything else.
    03-31-09 12:18 PM
    The Storm's worst device of the year is a well deserved. Everyone should wait till they update the hardware before even considering the Storm, it really is that bad...
    03-31-09 12:19 PM
    I have been greatly considering the storm as my next phone. However, engadget.com has just voted the storm the worst gadget of the year. So I as you-- Why the the blackberry storm over all other blackberries and phones out there??
    Engadget is one of the most pro iphone sites around... Not entirely surprised about their biased vote for the storm.
    You should try it out for yourself before you buy... Just wait for the update though.

03-31-09 12:24 PM
    the storm is a very very good phone with more capabilities then i will ever use. should you get one go straight to the tips and tricks for keyboard, memory, must have apps etc.

but! if your expecting it to a iphone its not. by not i mean it doesnt have the pretty apps that i could personally care a less about. while i know some people want a app to check ski slope conditions they personally dont intrest me. look at it this way it doesnt matter really if a phone has 6000 available apps or 500 your realisticly going to use 10-15 that you have a use for
    03-31-09 12:28 PM
    I love the storm.

Don't know much about engadget... But whoever wrote that opinion is entitled to it.

03-31-09 12:31 PM
    Kind of depends on what you want. If you want a phone that's all business, look elsewhere. If you want a phone that does a pretty good job mixing business with fun, maybe a 60/40 mix of business and fun respectively, the Storm is a good choice.

But give the phone a try at a VZW store, or whomever your carrier might be. If they have a return period like Verizon (maybe because they are Verizon) then make use of it. Get the phone, try it out for a few days/weeks, and either keep it or send it back depending on if you like it or not.
    03-31-09 12:35 PM
    Before you go marry the girl you like, do you have to ask engadget.com first? Seriously, who cares what they say? Very often, these web sites are driven by sponsors and vendors, and they could be biased. And I have seen some biased posts on engadget before, so this is not new.

You can test out the Storm for 30 days. If you don't like it within 30 days, you can return the phone. So why don't you go try it yourself? You are buying the phone for yourself, not for your neighbors, your friends, or your roommate.

Hope this helps.

03-31-09 12:39 PM
    The Storm's worst device of the year is a well deserved. Everyone should wait till they update the hardware before even considering the Storm, it really is that bad...
    LOL, ok...
    So it's gonna be a new device then?
    03-31-09 12:39 PM
    Endgadget is stupid, that's all.
    03-31-09 12:54 PM
    The "BlackBerry Experience" is all about function over flash. BlackBerry users are not that into games, iFart apps, social networking, and gee-whiz effects. BlackBerry owners aren't concerned about having the coolest phone in the room.

BlackBerry users look first for fast, reliable and secure e-mail, which the Storm offers in spades. The Storm's browser is good, and call quality is fine. GPS comes standard, as do an excellent Calendar/Appointments app, a good camera, 15-day standby, and a replaceable battery.

Available apps tend toward the functional and utilitarian (i.e., "useful"), rather than the fun and frivolous (i.e., "Where's the nearest Bolivian restaurant?") This is why I say iPhones are for poets and artists, LGs are for high-school kids, and BlackBerries are for lawyers and engineers.

BlackBerries are as outstanding in their way as the others are in their way. Decide what's best for you, research what the various carriers offer you for the money, and go for it.
    03-31-09 12:56 PM
    LOL, ok...
    So it's gonna be a new device then?

The Storm has major problems, the biggest one being an extremely slow and buggy OS. The "leaked" OS's out there are slightly faster and even more buggy. The Storm's hardware is anemic compared to its competitors, and is the most likely reason for its poor performance.
    03-31-09 01:00 PM
    I read through the comments on engagets list. I found a good one from AVG, that said there poll is plain BS.
    03-31-09 01:07 PM
    I have the Storm as well and an iPod touch. I've also had MANY other devices (HTC Touch Pro, Omnia, and others). I have software leak .114 installed on the Storm and must say, I really love the Storm when it's not being buggy. Compared with the iPod touch's UI though, I can definitely see how Apple gets the gadget of the year award. The Storm has great potential but isn't nearly as smooth and quick as the UI on the iPod touch (which as all of you know, is the same UI as the iPhone minus some obvious features). Viewing pictures is much quicker (Storm is still not consistent, sometimes lags), Safari is a MUCH better experience then the Storm's pre-installed browser, accelerometer is MUCH faster on the iPod touch (although the Storm is getting better but still lags at times), can even watch full tv episodes on the iPod touch with i.TV app and the list can keep on going. Does this mean I'll leave Verizon and go buy an iPhone? Absolutely not. At&t's network is terrible and nothing can compare to Verizon's network quality and speed. If Verizon and Apple ever team up and offer an iPhone on Verizon's network? Comparing the 2 devices as of now I would most likely then switch to a Verizon iPhone (if ever launched) but until that day, I'll stick to my Storm.
    03-31-09 01:25 PM
    I think the Blackberry is better than the Iphone and I'm a big Iphone#1 and Blackberry#2 fan believe it or not and before I bought my Storm I was debating which one to get, and I'm happy with my decision to go with the Storm with the problems it comes with.. Because I'm a patient person and the Storm is still fairly new so once they get all the kinks worked out the Storm will out perform the Iphone.. I compared the both for like a month and a half read and watched atleast a million reviews on both (no lie) and lots of reviews bashed the Storm but I feel it's better than the Iphone now and when they get the kinks worked out it'll surpass the Iphone..
    03-31-09 01:35 PM
    You have to look at timeframe. By the time this report came out, and considering engadget is a little pro-Apple, and the disappointments following the hype of the Storm, I would agree the Storm would get my pick for the worst gadget of the year. But don't forget how bad the iphone was when it released. RIM knows what they are doing. The difference between this phone and other phones, is that they are vastly improving this phone in a short of time. Already the app world and official update is coming out, and RIM is speculated to already be working on the 5.0 software and have versions .18x already for testing. Consider how different the Storm has been from release to now, and it hasn't even been six months yet. By this time next year, the Storm or Storm 2.0 could quite possibly get the best gadget of the year.
    03-31-09 01:44 PM
    The Storm has major problems, the biggest one being an extremely slow and buggy OS. The "leaked" OS's out there are slightly faster and even more buggy. The Storm's hardware is anemic compared to its competitors, and is the most likely reason for its poor performance.
    Maybe another iphone lover ?

03-31-09 01:55 PM
    must you be such a troll ?! do you have any posts where you don't bash the storm ? if you hate it so much sell it nd qet an iphone or a G1 w|e it is that floats your boat man but stop bashinq . i read one of your recent posts where you bash the storm because YOU didn't charqe it .. what do you expect the device to charqe itself ?! no wonder the storm qets such a bad rep it's morons like you postinq dumb shxt that makes other people think " damn the fone is bad " to be honest w| you i think the fone works perfectly, you on the other hand .. there miqht be somethinq wronq w| YOU .

anyways in reqards to the OP .. i had a curve nd it was a nice device but the storm's screen is wonderful . compared to the curve it's like havinq a tv for a screen . the few hardware problems ? patience .. the storm qets better w| every upqrade nd radio claims that .17xs are incredible . the storm has alot of potential nd even thouqh it miqht not be livinq up to it riqht now it is still a better fone than many others .
    03-31-09 02:10 PM
    If it is really that bad, why do you still have it?
    I moved from a Treo700p and have never looked back. Having rather large hands I find that I can type much faster on the Storm than on a regular keyboard phone such as the Palm or Curve.
    My daughter had a Pearl and liked it a lot. She moved to an Omnia and hates it.
    I have had no serious problems with mine and am patiently waiting for new OS updates.
    03-31-09 02:25 PM
    I like my storm, you just have to get used to the click screen. I think Verizon's network is far superior to other carriers in the U.S. If you like the actual qwerty keyboard better than the touchscreen or are unsure you should get the Curve or Pearl, or even wait for the niagara to be released
    03-31-09 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD