I have been a struggling Storm owner for about a year and a half now and I am at my wits end.

When I first got my phone, I downloaded a bunch of apps and I was at about 18 MB on a fresh battery pull, after following tips I found on these forums.

Then, I noticed the app memory was dwindling on each battery pull...it started to drop to 15, 11, 8...I deleted some apps to get it back up, which worked for a while, but then it would start going down again.

It got to the point where I was stuggling to keep it at 5MB on a battery pull. I am now at about 400KB on a pull after having deleted a ton of apps.

In fact, here are the only after market apps I have installed:
    Angelsbaseball.com loader - 14kb
    Champion - 75kb
    Flashlight - 296 kb
    Google maps - 744 kb
    Netflix.com launcher - 14 kb
    Pixelated - 49 kb
    ProTranslateLite - 60 kb
    ScoreMobile - 445 kb
    Superstore - 828 kb
    Visible Vote - 139 kb
    Where - 942 kb
    YouMail - 431 kb
    Facebook - 1MB

All told, about 5 MB of apps

This is after having systematically deleted Slacker Radio (the last to go), Weather Bug, Poynt, Urbanspoon, Ka-Glom, Google Mobile App, Shortcovers, Slides to Go, Sheets to Go, and a bunch of other apps I can't even remember at this point.

Where is my app memory? Why has it dwindled to nothing despite constantly deleting apps (and not adding more)??? I can't even use the browser anymore cuz it make my phone freeze - what's the point of even having a smartphone if all I can do is type and text? Is there anything I can do to recover app memory other than deleting stuff? Even if I delete all of my remaining apps, that only gets me to 5MB. What happens when that dwindles to nothing and there is nothing left to erase?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    11-12-10 10:23 PM
    One area where memory can get lost is the Content Store. The OS uses it as temporary storage, among other uses, and it can steadily get bigger just like the temp directory on a Windows machine. You can reset it to its minimum size using Desktop Manager. Go to the Advanced Backup and Restore function, and select Content Store in the right pane. Click the Clear button at the bottom of the pane and the Content Store will be reduced to its minimum size.
    11-13-10 08:00 AM
    Your phone error log can build up over time too from what I read. Reloading the OS could clean up those hidden logs and bring your memory back up or google a way to pull up the log from the phone and delete it, try that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-10 08:25 AM
    clear the database files too
    11-13-10 10:47 AM
    Crazy. I cleared the Content Store and the error log as well as a couple of databse files (purged messages for example), but on a battery pull, I have 3.7kb of app memory. Not good. Thanks anyway
    11-13-10 06:37 PM
    I had another thought - what about the pushed content...VZW Tones, My Verizon, Skype, VCast Videos, Bing, etc.? I never downloaded any of those apps, but do they take up app memory and is there a way to delete them? I tried deleting the service books, but they just came back the next time I did a battery pull.

Thanks
    11-13-10 06:43 PM
    The launchers take a small amount of memory. As you've found, if you delete them they just come back. Nothing you can do about that. It seems like you should have more free memory. The only other suggestion I have is to reload your OS and then reload your apps. If you have some odd program fragments taking up memory, reloading will clear them.

11-13-10 06:49 PM
    Open up your Media folder, menu, memory, than details on device memory. There may be things being stored you aren't aware of. I've seen instances where some files have managed to get there, and not a darn clue how, including mp3s I cancelled transfering to my PC, that were on my SD card. Bloated my memory real quick.
    11-13-10 07:47 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Battery life is fine until I use my BB smart phone as a phone! Started a week or so ago. I deleted everything I wasn't using. There are no extra applications running in the background. This only happens when I'm talking on the phone. You can see the battery life slipping away. It doesn't make sense that using the phone as a phone is running the battery down that quickly all of a sudden. What happened and how do I fix this???

Oh, and I'm using the new DM Version 6.0.0.43 (Bundle 47) because I just started using a new laptop. There is no advanced Backup and Restore. I can't get do a lot of things I could before. I am really hating this.
    11-13-10 10:17 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Battery life is fine until I use my BB smart phone as a phone! Started a week or so ago. I deleted everything I wasn't using. There are no extra applications running in the background. This only happens when I'm talking on the phone. You can see the battery life slipping away. It doesn't make sense that using the phone as a phone is running the battery down that quickly all of a sudden. What happened and how do I fix this???

Oh, and I'm using the new DM Version 6.0.0.43 (Bundle 47) because I just started using a new laptop. There is no advanced Backup and Restore. I can't get do a lot of things I could before. I am really hating this.

Don't quite see how this relates to the original topic. Apps would have no effect on battery consumption during a call, except for the normal refreshing they would be doing anyway, assuming you are on 3G. Maybe your signal strength is weak.

To selectively restore using DM6, click File, then restore. Select the backup you want, and choose selective.
    11-13-10 10:36 PM
    I'm sorry. I meant to post this under a different thread. Please feel free to delete this. It's just that I have also been having low memory problems lately and was looking for advice here.
    11-13-10 11:28 PM
    Open up your Media folder, menu, memory, than details on device memory. There may be things being stored you aren't aware of. I've seen instances where some files have managed to get there, and not a darn clue how, including mp3s I cancelled transfering to my PC, that were on my SD card. Bloated my memory real quick.
    My device memory is fine - I have 857 MB free of device memory. It's only the app memory that I cannot maintain.
    11-14-10 01:46 AM
    The launchers take a small amount of memory. As you've found, if you delete them they just come back. Nothing you can do about that. It seems like you should have more free memory. The only other suggestion I have is to reload your OS and then reload your apps. If you have some odd program fragments taking up memory, reloading will clear them.

Do I have to wipe the device to reload the OS? When I do that, and I restore my phone, won't that also restore whatever program fragments are causing a problem? Sorry, I'm not too savvy about this stuff (but can follow directions like a champ! )
    11-14-10 01:49 AM
    I'm sorry. I meant to post this under a different thread. Please feel free to delete this. It's just that I have also been having low memory problems lately and was looking for advice here.
    Are you saving your call logs? Deleting call logs will also help with memory.
    11-14-10 01:49 AM
    I have been a struggling Storm owner for about a year and a half now and I am at my wits end.

When I first got my phone, I downloaded a bunch of apps and I was at about 18 MB on a fresh battery pull, after following tips I found on these forums.

Then, I noticed the app memory was dwindling on each battery pull...it started to drop to 15, 11, 8...I deleted some apps to get it back up, which worked for a while, but then it would start going down again.

It got to the point where I was stuggling to keep it at 5MB on a battery pull. I am now at about 400KB on a pull after having deleted a ton of apps.

In fact, here are the only after market apps I have installed:
    Angelsbaseball.com loader - 14kb
    Champion - 75kb
    Flashlight - 296 kb
    Google maps - 744 kb
    Netflix.com launcher - 14 kb
    Pixelated - 49 kb
    ProTranslateLite - 60 kb
    ScoreMobile - 445 kb
    Superstore - 828 kb
    Visible Vote - 139 kb
    Where - 942 kb
    YouMail - 431 kb
    Facebook - 1MB

All told, about 5 MB of apps

This is after having systematically deleted Slacker Radio (the last to go), Weather Bug, Poynt, Urbanspoon, Ka-Glom, Google Mobile App, Shortcovers, Slides to Go, Sheets to Go, and a bunch of other apps I can't even remember at this point.

Where is my app memory? Why has it dwindled to nothing despite constantly deleting apps (and not adding more)??? I can't even use the browser anymore cuz it make my phone freeze - what's the point of even having a smartphone if all I can do is type and text? Is there anything I can do to recover app memory other than deleting stuff? Even if I delete all of my remaining apps, that only gets me to 5MB. What happens when that dwindles to nothing and there is nothing left to erase?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    The culprit is probably Facebook.
    11-14-10 01:50 AM

Click on Device / Delete Data. On the next screen, choose the Selected Data radio button. You can sort the entries by size by clicking on the column header "Entries". Be careful.
    11-14-10 02:39 AM
    My device memory is fine - I have 857 MB free of device memory. It's only the app memory that I cannot maintain.
    The device memory you reserve for media is part of your room for applications. What setting do you have it on? If it's higher than 5MB, and has used most of it's space, that is a possible area where your issue lies. Also, open Status in Options, hit menu and select databases. Then you can see if one or more of them has grown significantly.
    11-14-10 06:35 AM
    You do not have to wipe the device to reload the OS. If I were you I'd make a backup of your phone with DM and google 5.0.0.797 as for me it was a great memory management OS or you could give the new .9xx leak a go.

11-14-10 07:44 AM
    I had this problem. It was google maps. It caches a lot of stuff. I found that deleting and reinstalling it every now and then helps.

11-14-10 10:53 AM
    I don't remember anyone mentioning it but has anyone noticed not losing memory while charging? I've had my phone not lose a byte of memory while plugged in for 8 hrs... I've tested many times... I actually keep my phone on the charger @ work as much as I can to keep the memory up. I am tired of rebooting 3-5 times a day. Losing 5-10 mb in memory within 20 mins w/no apps running just annoys the **** out of me. Just saw there was an OS leak which I've never done. Might try that before jumping ship... I am trying to wait for this new Storm but it doesn't look like its coming out (if at all) anytime soon.
    11-14-10 01:42 PM
    The device memory you reserve for media is part of your room for applications. What setting do you have it on? If it's higher than 5MB, and has used most of it's space, that is a possible area where your issue lies.
    How do I check that?

Also, open Status in Options, hit menu and select databases. Then you can see if one or more of them has grown significantly.
    Most of them are 30kb or less - the exception being MMS messages, which is about 1MB...
    11-14-10 03:30 PM
    I had this problem. It was google maps. It caches a lot of stuff. I found that deleting and reinstalling it every now and then helps.

Thanks for the tip. Deleting it got me up to 1.4 MB. Obviously will be less if/when I reinstall.
    11-14-10 03:43 PM
    You do not have to wipe the device to reload the OS. If I were you I'd make a backup of your phone with DM and google 5.0.0.797 as for me it was a great memory management OS or you could give the new .9xx leak a go.

what about .871?

I have not messed with any of the leaks, but might be willing to try something new.
    11-14-10 04:10 PM
    How do I check that?

Most of them are 30kb or less - the exception being MMS messages, which is about 1MB...
    Checking your reserved memory you open the media folder, hit the menu button, select memory use, then details on reserved memory. You can adjust the setting from the media folder, by hitting menu and choosing options. Any files you want to delete, you can by hitting menu and choosing explore.

1+MB is a lot, and certainly is contributing to your issues.

As far as leaks go, I've always tried every OS I could, then stuck with what I found works best till the next one to try came out. Every OS you try, I'd give 3 days to see how it performs. First impressions can often be wrong.
    11-14-10 04:58 PM
    Checking your reserved memory you open the media folder, hit the menu button, select memory use, then details on reserved memory.
    I'm slow. When I hit menu and select memory use, I can look at details for Memory Card or Device Memory. However, this probably gives the information needed:
    Music: <1% - 1.3MB
    Documents 1% - 8.9MB (I have no idea what the documents are)
    Other: 1% - 11.4 MB (don't know what this is either)

Is there a way to find out what the docs and other are and move them so that they are not eating up app memory?

You can adjust the setting from the media folder, by hitting menu and choosing options. Any files you want to delete, you can by hitting menu and choosing explore.
    My only options are:
    Close Media Player when Inactive
    Set Convenience Keys
    Various Playback options
    and a couple Pictures options

1+MB is a lot, and certainly is contributing to your issues.
    But even if I delete them all, it only gets me up to 2.4 MB of app memory on a battery pull - certainly not the 20-30 that others have or the 18 that I used to get

As far as leaks go, I've always tried every OS I could, then stuck with what I found works best till the next one to try came out. Every OS you try, I'd give 3 days to see how it performs. First impressions can often be wrong.
    Since I am not savvy, I have avoided doing anything like this, but I might have to give it a go.
    11-14-10 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD