For how long your battery is off the phone usually?
    Me I take it off for about 2 minutes...and you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 07:22 PM
    I no longer take out the battery. There are a couple of programs to simulate a battery pull, I use Quick pull. It's scheduled at 4:30am every morning, so I don't even think about it anymore.
    07-20-09 07:25 PM
    I also use quickpull. But if the battery is out, its out. IT shouldn't matter if its out a few seconds or a few minutes.
    07-20-09 07:33 PM
    A battery pull and quickpull are not the same thing. Many times, quickpull/softreset will fix a problem, but there are also times when an actual battery pull (leaving it out for about 1 minute) will fix something that quickpull will not. I believe its got something to do with allowing the capacitors in your phone enough time to fully discharge and truly dump all the info it's holding on to. RIM also recommends leaving the battery out for 5 minutes for persistent problems (at least I read that on this forum). Remember that next time you're having a problem and quickpull is not fixing it.
    07-20-09 07:35 PM
    I also use quickpull. But if the battery is out, its out. IT shouldn't matter if its out a few seconds or a few minutes.
    Well...actually, there may be some electonic components that will drain an electrical charge over time. For this reason, some people feel it is best to keep the battery out for 30 seconds or more.
    07-20-09 07:36 PM
    you don't have to leave it out. i just pull it, once the phone is dark, put it back in. without battery all of the volatile memory is wiped, that's the important part. resetting the phone. it doesn't conserve memory "in case ****"
    07-20-09 08:05 PM
    Not exactly,
    The electronics do need to be unplugged for more than a quick second for the memory to be truly wiped.

Most of it is lost once the battery is out, true, but there is still a residual charge on the capacitors, inductors, etc on the board that it leaves a charge. Enough that some data will remain.

To be honest, once the device boots up again, any data on there will be immidiately re-written with new info. Negating the reason for an actual battery-pull.

Theoretically, once a device boots up, any data on RAM "should" be immediately re-written, but on occasion I've ran into problems when data was corrupted on RAM and for some reason or another the data couldn't be over-written. A true removal of power will force the charge to wither away over a few minutes and therfore completely zero-out the memory.

But hey, if Blackberry suggests a quick removal, who are we to argue?
    07-20-09 08:18 PM
    I hardly ever "pull the battery anymore but on these times when I do have to, Out and In. I don't keep the battery out for any length of time. IMO, that's a placebo effect.
    07-20-09 08:24 PM
    I pull the battery for 30 seconds. That's seems to be the consensus here on the fourms. Some of the Theme devs note in their install directions to pull the battery for 1 minute.
    07-20-09 08:27 PM
    I stopped using DOS commands when windows came out and I stopped taking the battery out of my phone when QuickPull hit the scene. I never looked back or had issues with either. I have had my Storm for nearly 7 months now and since .122 I have not done a single physical battery pull. I am no expert so yes I have goofed up my phone a time or two....my solution....wipe and reload OS. 15 minutes of basically waiting and my phone is fresh and new again. No battery pull every 15 minutes like you guys. Use quickpull or reinstall, sounds to me like your habit of battery pulls are not solving any problems fast even if it does drain the capacitors and bleed the foo foo valves.
    Wow, good for you. So I'm glad that your phone has never locked up to the point where you couldn't even access quickpull. You are lucky, but your time will come. QuickPull is not the same as a battery pull and yes it will reset the phone and work 99% of the time, but to equate it with using DOS is a bit extreme, don't you think?
    07-20-09 10:06 PM
    I leave my battery out for half a minute.
    07-20-09 10:13 PM
    Note: @ least for certain issues RIM's practice is 2 leave out 5mins.
    07-20-09 11:36 PM
    I'm just saying I am a fu$# **** with my phone and I just never have issues like lockups and crap other than when I loosened the screws too much for screen fix.. What are you guys doing that requires constant battery pulls ie, bad OS installs, messing with hybrids, using bad apps, changing system files, what? I just want to understand why so many people have to pull the darn battery out so much.
    07-21-09 12:02 AM
    i only leave it out for a few seconds, never really tried longer. when i was running .148 i had to pull it at least 3 times a day, now running .151 and have had to pull it once this week.

i found that many times it was slow enough that i could not access quickpull, making the program useless for me
    07-21-09 02:32 AM
    I have quickpull for my storm but it wont let me schedule a time to do it. I can access the schedule screen but when I go to click "ok" nothing happens. Any suggestions?
    07-21-09 02:16 PM
    Simplify your life ... when you pull the battery Press the hard-buttons like Phone and Hangup a few times and reinsert the battery. The battery pull is to wipe VRAM (volatile ram memory) and it can be persistent for a while because there are capacitors on the system board that store a charge. By pressing the buttons with the battery removed you are instantly discharging whatever is stored on the caps and you can replace your battery immediately. QuickPull and MeterBerry do the equivalent of a "warm-boot" on a PC and if you have an issue on your phone where there is corrupt data stuck in volatile memory they will NOT clear it every time. Pulling the battery and draining capacitance is like a "cold-boot". I use MeterBerry to reset once a night while charging but I'll still pull the battery once a week to take out the garbage.
    07-21-09 07:42 PM
    I have quickpull for my storm but it wont let me schedule a time to do it. I can access the schedule screen but when I go to click "ok" nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Options > Advanced Options > Applications ... Highlight QuickPull and hit the BB button. From the menu Disable Compatibility Mode ... hit the Back Button and SAVE your change.
    07-21-09 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD