When I restart the unit, I have about 30mb free. After few hours it goes down to anywhere between 10-15mb and stays there. Does it matter for me how much free memory there is? Does it run better when there's 30 then when there's 10mb? My thoughts are as long as there's some free memory, then it's fine right? Also, almost all apps I use, I close them when I'm done, so there's only the regular stuff in the background (browser, messages, etc...)

Thank you.
    06-11-09 07:22 PM
    Mines gone as low as 5Mb over three days with no noticeable drop in performance. Now I have quick pull set up to run everyday at 3am. Takes care of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 07:35 PM
    What OS are you running? .148 handles memory better than the previous versions from what I have seen. I was on .99 for a while and kept going down to just a couple of megs over the course of 2 days. Once I installed .148, I have not gone under 20 megs.

I wouldn't worry about your memory going to 10 - 12 megs unless your phone starts acting funny. If it starts to act up, do a batt pull. Mine used to run fine until I got down to below 5 megs.

When I restart the unit, I have about 30mb free. After few hours it goes down to anywhere between 10-15mb and stays there. Does it matter for me how much free memory there is? Does it run better when there's 30 then when there's 10mb? My thoughts are as long as there's some free memory, then it's fine right? Also, almost all apps I use, I close them when I'm done, so there's only the regular stuff in the background (browser, messages, etc...)

Thank you.
    06-11-09 09:12 PM
    Memory really only becomes an issue when it gets to a point where there isn't enough to run all the things you want to run. The phone will get sluggish and uncooperative. Mine has gone as low as 5MB before I noticed any problems. Regular battery pulls (or the use of QuickPull) are your friend!
    06-11-09 09:16 PM
    Only worry about it if you experience slow performance. If so, do a battery pull.

Grey

06-11-09 09:58 PM
    Only worry about it if you experience slow performance. If so, do a battery pull.

Grey

completely agree.

If you are down to like 0MB-5MB of memory and your phone starts to really lag, just do a battery pull(or reset it with QuickPull or something) and it should be fine.

With .148 memory is GREATLY improved.

Oh, if you don't want to do a bat. pull just close some apps. hold the BB button to bring up the application switcher(shows all apps that are currently running) and just close the apps that you aren't using.
    that will also bring memory back up.
    06-11-09 10:01 PM
    Just pull the battery and you'll be back in business. Mine has been this low before. Heh.

06-11-09 10:03 PM
    Oh, if you don't want to do a bat. pull just close some apps. hold the BB button to bring up the application switcher(shows all apps that are currently running) and just close the apps that you aren't using.
    that will also bring memory back up.
    Just want to make note here that yes the memory will come back up but it is slow to do so. Basically what that means is don't close the programs and look for a huge change right after you close them. The garbage collector needs time to work.
    06-11-09 10:04 PM
    12MB or above is ok, if it gets lower then the BB might delete messages to free up space if it has too, if you see you have dropped below 12 do a battery pull to reclaim memory.
    06-11-09 10:05 PM
    12MB or above is ok, if it gets lower then the BB might delete messages to free up space if it has too, if you see you have dropped below 12 do a battery pull to reclaim memory.
    For some reason the Storm doesn't seem to behave like that though(deleting emails). I know my 8830WE won't think twice on me though.
    06-11-09 10:07 PM
    Hmmmm .... is this from experience? The reason I ask, I have run memory below 12mb plenty of times, on hybrids and stock OS's. Never have I lost any messages or mails. I have been down to 5mb. It got a little sluggish and I QP after awhile, but once again, never lost anything.
    06-11-09 10:12 PM
    Hmmmm .... is this from experience? The reason I ask, I have run memory below 12mb plenty of times, on hybrids and stock OS's. Never have I lost any messages or mails. I have been down to 5mb. It got a little sluggish and I QP after awhile, but once again, never lost anything.
    I too have never lost msgs or emails, etc, and you see how low I was above.

I'm certainly not saying it's not a possibility, but I haven't seen it on my end (yet).
    06-11-09 10:14 PM
    Actually from expierence with previous BBs, I am very fanatical about memory, I reboot when I drop below 20.
    06-11-09 10:16 PM
    Actually from expierence with previous BBs, I am very fanatical about memory, I reboot when I drop below 20.
    Ahh .... but not the Storm.
    06-12-09 12:09 AM
    Mine has been down to 0 KB. I can say that when that happens, everything pretty much stops...lol! I don't usually reboot until I get to about 10MB or just below, which takes about three days. .148 seems to keep me in the 15'ish to 23'ish range most of the time after starting at 34 M. That's with the OEM theme. If I run a custom theme I'm screwed and it drops to 10 MB or less within a day. Needless to say, I dumped the themes.

Oh yeah, I didn't lose any messages or anything at 0 KB, but then I don't keep a lot of messages stored on my phone anyway. I usually clear most of them out about every other day unless they are important to keep longer.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 06-12-09 at 01:23 AM. Reason: edit
    06-12-09 01:22 AM
    I've been down to 0kb with no problems. Usually between 5 to 10

06-12-09 03:18 AM
    My Storm usually works fine so I don't check my memory much. It's never as high as what you guys are talking about. I tried upgrading from .75 to .148 last night and it wants more memory. I only have one theme added and not a lot of other stuff. Quick Pull runs in the middle of the night. I had 3MB this AM, sent 1 email, checked later and was down to 1.4MB. Manually ran QuickPull and now it shows 0 MB. Kind of sorry I tried to upgrade now.
    06-12-09 10:34 AM
    I know this thread is oooold, but I wanted to ask.. Does the storm store received messages in the "30MB" app memory or on the internal one that has almost 1GB?

I�ve got a new unit today.. a 9500, so I was wondering if I made a good purchase :S

Thanks
    08-04-11 03:10 PM
    I know this thread is oooold, but I wanted to ask.. Does the storm store received messages in the "30MB" app memory or on the internal one that has almost 1GB?

I�ve got a new unit today.. a 9500, so I was wondering if I made a good purchase :S

Thanks
    Yes it is an old thread, but a good question. Email, sms and mms are all stored on the app memory. So by deleting any messages you do not need, you will be helping to manage/increase your app memory. Also, be sure to close any apps you are not currently using.
    csz#WN likes this.
    08-04-11 04:38 PM
    Thanks DJM1947, so basically there is no way to store more than ~15MB of mails at anytime or else they could be deleted... (I have already some heavy apps installed...)

It�s a shame, considering nowadays e-mail traffic...
    Last edited by krisztian; 08-04-11 at 06:08 PM.
    08-04-11 05:10 PM
    You can also improve the app memory by using shrink an OS before you install an OS, removing sample videos, pics, languages, games and other apps you do not need.
    08-04-11 07:17 PM
    I've had my Storm for over two years. I use MeterBerry (or Quicklaunch) to reset it every day at 5:30 a.m. so I wake up to a fresh start. Rarely have to do a battery pull with the auto reset scheduled this way. I only have about 5 apps installed because there's just not enough memory for more. I also have used the AppleBerry theme for two years as well.

I start the day with 21M and within a couple of hours of moderate use, it may get down to 17-19M, but I usually finish the day with 10-14Ms. If I forget to close something, it will trickle down to 8-9 and if I can't get it back up after closing the app, I will do a reset (on the Menu key with MeterBerry).

The important thing is to hit the Menu key and click CLOSE when you are finished using an app. That generally keeps the memory from being too depleted.
    08-08-11 09:29 AM
    Do you have to worry? No. it wonT harm anything except performance like everyone has mentioned. The common answer is pull the battery. well if your storms like mine this at a minimum a daily ritual anyway. lol. The one Thing i haven't really seen addressed is installing a memory app. There's many to choose from and the best all around free memmory app I would recommend is memory up personal. Works great. If you don't mind spending $2 I really like SystemDash by Mobato. Not only can you set it up to clean and automatically restore memmory on your device it monitors your entire system and is fully customizable. It automatically run in the background if you set it up to and will repair memmory between 30 and up to 6 hour intervals. However you desire. Not only that their customer service and support is nothing less than amazing. Need help? They'll reply to questions in hours. Highly recommended!
    08-10-11 07:28 PM
    I usually end up waiting till my memory is down to 0kb before doing a battery pull. I get the clock and super lagginess anyways so I don't really pay attention to free memory anymore, once its starts getting cranky I just reset it and 3 mins later I'm good to go for another day.
    08-22-11 07:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD