My Verizon Pearl didn't have one. What gives?

Does a SIM card provide any advantages over not having one?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 03:23 PM
    With a sim card you can have your phone number in any phone you wish... If it's unlocked of course
    In gsm phones, like in Europe, there isn't another way

03-14-09 03:34 PM
    The VZW SIM is useless as long as youre in the US and unless you activate it

its just there so that if you plan to travel to Europe or any country with Vodafone you can just activate it through Verizon and use your phone over there...with massive roaming charges or the increased monthly fee..OR you can unlock it, chuck the VZW SIM, and pop in a locally bought SIM that you can use while youre outside of the US

TL;DR -- the verizon sim card is useless unless you plan to travel and want to use your verizon number where ever you go. you can remove it. mine is sitting in a box.
    03-14-09 03:39 PM
    I had my SIM (and phone) unlocked. The Verizon rep said the SIM card would not work in the US in a situation where there was no CDMA signal but there was a GSM signal. Is that correct? I thought the ability to use GSM in the US would be useful for a 911 call in remote locations where there is only GSM service. Anyone know for sure if it would work or not?
    03-14-09 03:55 PM
    Nope, that SIM card will work with Vodaphone service which is Europe pretty much. Even if you didn't have CMDA coverage, you still won't be able to get GSM service in the US unless you have a US GSM service SIM card in your phone. And for that, you will need to unlock your phone.
    03-14-09 03:58 PM
    Thanks, my phone is unlocked. Is there a prepaid or postpay SIM that is cheap but will connect to any US GSM tower for a 911 call?
    03-14-09 04:14 PM
    SIM is just for international roaming in a country without CDMA
    03-14-09 04:20 PM
    Answered my own question. gosim.com has cheap cards and minutes don't expire and there is no monthly charge. Their web site says it works in US (as well as many other countries). Rate per min is very high $3.00/min in US, but should work for free 911 calls.
    03-14-09 04:31 PM
    Thanks for the response guys.

03-14-09 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD