Mine averaged at above 800kbit/s whats yours. I also had 3 bars of EV-DO coverage I'll try and find a better spot.

LINK for test. I chose the 1MB test.

Last edited by FUSIBLE; 12-02-08 at 06:20 PM.
    12-02-08 06:11 PM
    ^There it is guys. I want to see what your coverage is. Thanks.
    12-02-08 06:18 PM
    No go for me, site does not work for browser on BB.

Also, Opera Mini does not give accurate results because it proxies the speed test (artificially inflating it).
    12-02-08 06:23 PM
    No go for me, site does not work for browser on BB.

Also, Opera Mini does not give accurate results because it proxies the speed test (artificially inflating it).
    I tried both, what I did on the BB browser I changed the setting from BB Browser to identify as IE. I know the test acts funny at times. But I averaged on both about the same. I had to keep on clicking until it gave me a few results the last been from opera which I captured.
    12-02-08 06:26 PM
    Allow me to restate:

This is a neat idea, but these online speed tests don't work well for BlackBerry devices. If you're using Opera Mini, you're using Opera's proxy server. If you're using BB Browser (regardless of enabling JS or IE/FF user agent), you're being proxied by BIS.

So, the results you get are not real. Sorry.
    12-02-08 06:31 PM
    Allow me to restate:

This is a neat idea, but these online speed tests don't work well for BlackBerry devices. If you're using Opera Mini, you're using Opera's proxy server. If you're using BB Browser (regardless of enabling JS or IE/FF user agent), you're being proxied by BIS.

I see what you mean. I did another test with good coverage on the BB browser and it was 1225kbit/s.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 06:37 PM
    If you could find a way on the BB to bypass any proxies, you might be able to accurately measure your bandwidth on a BB.

My Sprint EV-DO rev A aircard gets between 400-800 kbps depending on time of day.

A Tilt I have on AT&T 3G gets around the same, but is usually about 100kbps faster than Sprint/Verizon.
    12-02-08 06:45 PM
    Mine just keeps saying "unstable/too fast a result (2.418s) please choose a larger file" but it won't give me anything bigger than 1mb
    12-02-08 07:24 PM
    Mine just keeps saying "unstable/too fast a result (2.418s) please choose a larger file" but it won't give me anything bigger than 1mb
    Again, because most likely you're going through the proxy, so it's not accurately measuring the speed to your device.
    12-02-08 07:31 PM
    Allow me to restate:

this is partially correct...

you do get the speed of the device regardless because your going through that proxy using the device as well... so it is actually very accurate to the device in itself to be exact...

however the problem is people will compare the test to differen't locations and if the server of the website isn't setup to recognize distance correctly the test is only accurate based on someone standing next to you and not the same for someone who may be in florida vs someone in california if that makes sense
    12-02-08 07:43 PM
    So how do I get mine to register?

And is there any other site I can go to in order to check my speed?
    12-02-08 08:16 PM
    So how do I get mine to register?

And is there any other site I can go to in order to check my speed?
    Well this what I did, I first changed the id of the BB browser to IE. Then I tried the test and gave that unstable screen. Next it said I pick the larger file of 1mb and same happen again, next I kept hitting the return button after each failed screen until it kept giving me results. Ill post my 1225 result when I get home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 08:30 PM
    this is partially correct...

you do get the speed of the device regardless because your going through that proxy using the device as well... so it is actually very accurate to the device in itself to be exact...

however the problem is people will compare the test to differen't locations and if the server of the website isn't setup to recognize distance correctly the test is only accurate based on someone standing next to you and not the same for someone who may be in florida vs someone in california if that makes sense
    The other reason why it's not accurate is RIM and Opera proxies compress data. So yes, even though the data reaches your actual device, the measurement doesn't know how much the proxies compress.

The end result is inaccur
    12-02-08 09:11 PM
    forum molasses. can't edit msg
    12-02-08 09:14 PM
    Mine says 699050.7 kbps
    12-02-08 11:00 PM
    Here is the second pic with BB browser.
    12-03-08 12:52 AM
    I was up to over 1,300 VZ-Global Access the out in the boonies in Missouri. I have never been over 1mb, ever. I will try to figure out how to post the results.
    12-03-08 02:10 AM
    does anyone else's phone take forever to do the "Requesting..." thing?

I am on BES, and switched to "internet browser" its no longer going through my BES and i think its worse. it takes forever to do anyhting.
    12-03-08 02:28 AM
    This is a reasonable but possibly confusing test.

Whatever you do, you are either going via blackberry.net or whatever OM uses. Both are proxies. The readings you get (as has been pointed out) reflect the actual speeed to the device.

This number you see can and will vary wildly depending upon the local network load. Phone networks are unsurprisingly optimized for voice calls and at times of high network use/load, voice calls take priority at the expense of data requests. Several things can therefore happen to your data stream.
    • overall bandwidth may be reduced by time of day (cuz they know what is needed)
    • local bandwidth may be reduced depending upon where you are on the network
    • data packets may simply be delayed (like freight cards in a railroad siding) while voice packets whizz past like express trains.
    • your phone may not have optimal reception or, there may be errors (interference) that cause a recieved packet(s) to be corrupted and need to be resent (therefore unmeasured). This wastes bandwidth.
    In any event you will be measuring the instanteous current bit rate from the test site to your device. Please therefore do not take a single reading to be representative of data throughput at all times of day or from all geographical locations.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-03-08 at 05:45 AM.
    12-03-08 05:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD