I did a google search about it but all I got were results about what applications had them. Can someone explain to me what a memory leak is exactly and how you are able to check for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 03:22 PM
    a memory leak is where your application memory dwindles over time. to look for a memory leak i would do a battery pull to reset the device, go to options > memory and look at the application memory. Now wait maybe a few hours to even a day, recheck your application memory and if it is far less than what you saw before then that is considered a memory leak.
    03-12-09 03:26 PM
    It often times occurs in programming when objects are created and used, but are not properly closed.

Some programming languages are better at memory management than others, but poor programming is frequently, and largely, to blame.
    03-12-09 03:30 PM
    So what's bad about memory leaks in the long run.....other than the obvious

03-12-09 03:34 PM
    Memory leak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... application/phone uses memory, and keeps it, not really knowing it still has it, until you don't have any free memory left. Not necessarily bad other than not having any more memory left (phone gets slow and locks...)

It's like the guy that grabs the free bagels from the table in the office, puts them on his desk and forgets about them, and ends up throwing them away and no one eats them. (haha I know a guy like this)
    03-12-09 03:35 PM
    Your application memory will be reduced, causing slowdowns and possibly errors.

So what's bad about memory leaks in the long run.....other than the obvious

03-12-09 03:38 PM
    It also depends on the application. On a phone, a memory leak is probably relatively benign. An unplugged leak has the potential to be more crippling on, for example, a corporate enterprise server.
    03-12-09 03:41 PM
    a memory leak is where your application memory dwindles over time. to look for a memory leak i would do a battery pull to reset the device, go to options > memory and look at the application memory. Now wait maybe a few hours to even a day, recheck your application memory and if it is far less than what you saw before then that is considered a memory leak.
    Nope... Sorry. That is absolutely, positively, completely, totally, wholly, grade A, choice cut, cook's choice, 100% pure beef, WRONG!
    03-12-09 03:46 PM
    Your application memory will be reduced, causing slowdowns and possibly errors.
    The first half about the slowdowns has pretty much already been exploded, and I'm curious as to what you have to offer up as proof for the errors bit. Unless you want to refine what you meant to say.
    03-12-09 03:48 PM
    Nope... Sorry. That is absolutely, positively, completely, totally, wholly, grade A, choice cut, cook's choice, 100% pure beef, WRONG!
    Ok. Then explain.
    03-12-09 03:50 PM
    How would you like me to prove 'possibly errors' - would you like me to install an app on my Storm that's known to 'leak' and then post screen shots.

I'm not going to debate this point with someone who just posts 'wrong' and 'prove it' without any qualification.

Should I have qualified this with - in my 16 years experience as a software developer...? or IMO (in my opinion).

The first half about the slowdowns has pretty much already been exploded, and I'm curious as to what you have to offer up as proof for the errors bit. Unless you want to refine what you meant to say.
    03-12-09 03:54 PM
    Ok. Then explain.
    I have... Numerous times. Feel free to run a search for any of the 2-3 dozen times I explained this before just giving up.

And to bbsean:

In traditional software development, what you described would be true, but BB's run with a JVM as the OS in effect. So traditional memory management theories/practices/wisdom goes out the window.
    03-12-09 04:01 PM
    Haha wow, didn't mean to start an argument

Thanks for the info. Other than it being the storm (I don't mean that negatively) I haven't noticed it being slow. I have been downloading and deleting tons of useless apps just to test them out the past few days. I'll keep an eye on the memory usage and maybe I can get a better idea. Since upgrading to .109 one week ago I haven't had a crash or done a battery pull one though. Pretty legit if I do say so myself
    03-12-09 04:10 PM
    Haha wow, didn't mean to start an argument
    Don't worry about it. I respect a genuine quest for knowledge and understanding, but I also get tired of people spreading the same bad info over and over again. I don't blame them for it, since most of them don't even know it's bad info, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to tell them they're wrong.
    03-12-09 04:18 PM
    I did a google search about it but all I got were results about what applications had them. Can someone explain to me what a memory leak is exactly and how you are able to check for them.

Here You Go.
    03-12-09 04:27 PM
    What is the default number for app memory?

03-12-09 04:49 PM
    What is the default number for app memory?
    There isn't one... But you start at 128MB, then the OS and apps all load.
    03-12-09 05:35 PM
    Thanks jack*ss. If you read my post I did a search. I'm questioning a memory leak in regards to mobile applications and how to check for them (as in if I need another application)

I know what the concept is on a programming level
    03-12-09 05:52 PM
    Thanks jack*ss. If you read my post I did a search. I'm questioning a memory leak in regards to mobile applications and how to check for them (as in if I need another application)

Well, the aszholery aside, that actually is a pretty damn funny site. I'm going to have to remember it.
    03-12-09 05:56 PM
    Well, the aszholery aside, that actually is a pretty damn funny site. I'm going to have to remember it.
    Very true, and I'll keep it handy for myself
    03-12-09 06:02 PM
    That is the coolest thing i have seen, i cant wait to send this out to friends when they ask stupid questions. ROTFLMAO

Thanks for making my day
    03-12-09 06:12 PM

There You Go
    03-13-09 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD