Under security options/general settings there is a setting labeled strength that has the option of strong/stronger/strongest....my default is strong....what does this option do?
    thanks
    03-01-09 01:56 PM
    its encryption strength if you enable content protection.
    03-01-09 02:01 PM
    its encryption strength if you enable content protection.
    Can you explain what content protection really is? And please dont say "it protects your content" Can you explain to me like Im stupid what it really means? Do I need to change the setting from what it comes default? How do I protect my content in the first place? Thanks for the help.
    03-04-09 08:45 PM
    Can you explain what content protection really is? And please dont say "it protects your content" Can you explain to me like Im stupid what it really means? Do I need to change the setting from what it comes default? How do I protect my content in the first place? Thanks for the help.
    Content protection is tied to passwording your phone. If you enable content protection, the device encrypts all sensitive data on the phone (messages, browser cache, address book, etc.). The idea is that if someone gets a hold of your phone, they cannot hook it up to a pc and use a program to gain access to the file structure and your information. Think of it like this, the normal password protection just prevents someone from accessing the device and looking at it from the phone. They can still hook it up to a pc, and if they know what they're doing, gain access to your stuff in a round about way. By encrypting the data, they can't use it even if they do that, unless they know your password. Think about it as extra peace of mind on your data.

Be aware though, if you do this, remember your password. There's no way to recover your device otherwise.
    03-04-09 08:54 PM
    Content protection is tied to passwording your phone. If you enable content protection, the device encrypts all sensitive data on the phone (messages, browser cache, address book, etc.). The idea is that if someone gets a hold of your phone, they cannot hook it up to a pc and use a program to gain access to the file structure and your information. Think of it like this, the normal password protection just prevents someone from accessing the device and looking at it from the phone. They can still hook it up to a pc, and if they know what they're doing, gain access to your stuff in a round about way. By encrypting the data, they can't use it even if they do that, unless they know your password. Think about it as extra peace of mind on your data.

Be aware though, if you do this, remember your password. There's no way to recover your device otherwise.
    THANK YOU for breaking it down so I could understand what It actually means. I appreciate it.
    03-04-09 08:58 PM
    THANK YOU for breaking it down so I could understand what It actually means. I appreciate it.
    No problem. Also be aware if you enable the content protection, your device will probably slow down and be laggy for some time. This is the device encrypting your data. The stronger the encryption the longer this may take. This is only temporary as the phone has to suddenly go through and encrypt all your stuff. Once that's done, it only has to encrypt the bits of data it receives in the future as updates. So don't be afraid if your deice slows down for awhile once you enable this.
    03-04-09 09:04 PM
    kokuryuha, thank you for your clear explanations on encrypting ! Doctor Neutron
    03-04-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD