Just entered the realm of the "smart phone" and have been reading a lot on here. I use a Macbook pro, and I would like to be able to upgrade accordingly. I downloaded pocketmac and the new driver, but it doesn't sync to the blackberry and shows a "skipping" sync error.

What do mac users do when they want to upgrade? Do you see a better program than pocketmac coming out for free in the future?

Using my macbook, what would I have to do to get .83 on my blackberry?
    Last edited by newjerseyjohn; 12-21-08 at 04:01 PM.
    12-21-08 03:54 PM
    right now, you can either wait for the update to become officially available and update over the air (OTA) or you can run a windows emulator (boot camp, parallels) on your mac and run blackberry desktop manager.
    12-21-08 04:08 PM
    As for updating the OS - cannot be done on a Mac. You would need to run Bootcamp with Windows, or any of the various Virtual PC type programs
    12-21-08 04:08 PM
    Only way to upgrade the OS is using Desktop Manager in windows (OTA updates are an option for non-beta firmwares). I use VMWare Fusion to access my Boot Camp partition on my MacBook Pro. I use Missing Sync to sync Address Book, iCal etc. RIM have released Blackberry Media Sync in Beta for OSX but you can't use PocketMac or Missing Sync until you un-install it.
    HTH
    12-21-08 04:09 PM
    yah, i have heard of missing sync but was under the impression it was a 40 dollar fee to download. I guess I will wait for the OTA updates.
    How liberal is verizon when releasing the updates? Will I see as much variety of options in updates as you guys will see on the web? What would you do?

thanks a lot for the responses.
    12-21-08 04:12 PM
    I've had a Blackberry for several years now and my main computer is a Mac. I use Missing Sync which is way better than Pocket Mac. I also use Fusion (another Windows emulator) to run Desktop Manager. They have a 30-day trial available...

Chelly
    12-21-08 04:18 PM
    I've had a Blackberry for several years now and my main computer is a Mac. I use Missing Sync which is way better than Pocket Mac. I also use Fusion (another Windows emulator) to run Desktop Manager. They have a 30-day trial available...

Chelly
    Yup...
    I run VM Fusion here and NOT gonna do the update untill it's officially released... I don't see the advantages of it...
    12-21-08 04:49 PM
    i just use my PC at work to update my phone
    12-21-08 04:56 PM
    You are MUCH better off with a PC. Here's why.

Currently there is no Desktop Manager fpr the Mac. One s reputed to be in the pipleline but it has not made it out the door evean as a leaked beta so far.

OS upgrades will probably (can't be sure) not be released as Mac exceccutables because it would double the abount of files released and RIM probably does not have the resouces for that.

Customization utilities only run on the PC. I have no plans to bring CrackMem or CrackUtil to the Mac.
    12-21-08 05:07 PM
    Just entered the realm of the "smart phone" and have been reading a lot on here. I use a Macbook pro, and I would like to be able to upgrade accordingly. I downloaded pocketmac and the new driver, but it doesn't sync to the blackberry and shows a "skipping" sync error.

What do mac users do when they want to upgrade? Do you see a better program than pocketmac coming out for free in the future?

Using my macbook, what would I have to do to get .83 on my blackberry?
    Is your storm password protected... if so, you have to type it in, in the password section on pocketmac... I too use a MBP and am running leopard, I had this issue before I discovered that I need to type in my password in the pocketmac prgm. I also have had no issues as far as syncing itunes/photos/ect... only thing is that I can only upgrade the storm os via over-the-air download. No biggie for me, but some may not be satisfied with just that.
    12-21-08 07:16 PM

Currently there is no Desktop Manager fpr the Mac. One s reputed to be in the pipleline but it has not made it out the door evean as a leaked beta so far.

OS upgrades will probably (can't be sure) not be released as Mac exceccutables because it would double the abount of files released and RIM probably does not have the resouces for that.

Customization utilities only run on the PC. I have no plans to bring CrackMem or CrackUtil to the Mac.

That is the most ******** comment I have ever read...anywhere....your main argument as to why is better to have a pc rather than a mac is because there is no native DM for the mac Os?
    Macs are by far superior machines ...and its just as easy to run dm on a mac using a vm as it is on a legit pc

...op ill pm you the hook up when I get home to get you up and running in the meantime while rim finishes their mac dm ...which I can guarantee will outpass the windows platform

Keep your mac
    Love your mac

**** the haters

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 12-21-08 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Language
    12-21-08 07:36 PM
    whoa language...

i was always curious how it would work if they made a DM for Macs...2 different installers for the same OS...hmmm
    12-21-08 07:38 PM

Wow....that wasn't very helpful for a mod...

I'd suggest either Bootcamp (which I plan on doing once i get the money to buy a full version of Windoze) or using parellis (sp).

As for the software upgrades, storm users don't need a desktop to do it. They can just do it over the air. Plus, I can just delete Facebook and whatever other applications your CrackUtil can delete from my phone. Thanks though. I'm sure others like your programs.
    Last edited by niubeav; 12-21-08 at 07:46 PM.
    12-21-08 07:39 PM
    i've heard mixed things about the USB support with parallels...haven't heard of many problems from those using VMware Fusion
    12-21-08 07:41 PM
    whoa language...

i was always curious how it would work if they made a DM for Macs...2 different installers for the same OS...hmmm
    Its not like the concept is far fetched most large software co. Release universal binaries for specific platforms...

And for someone to think that a huge corp like RIM does not have the resources to do so is dumb founding

12-21-08 07:44 PM
    i know its not unheard of...

and no where did i say that they did not have the resources...

and watch the way you're talking to people...
    12-21-08 07:46 PM
    i've heard mixed things about the USB support with parallels...haven't heard of many problems from those using VMware Fusion
    Correct I ran into trouble trying to use parrelels to run dm....went to fusion and all is well
    Aside from not being able to backup ..but I think this is due to apps rather than usb issues

12-21-08 07:47 PM
    Correct I ran into trouble trying to use parrelels to run dm....went to fusion and all is well
    Aside from not being able to backup ..but I think this is due to apps rather than usb issues

is that a cache issue where backup is giving you an unknown error? because thats happening to a lot of people...

to solve, clear browser cache and try to backup again
    12-21-08 07:50 PM
    Don my comment was not directed at you

Read a few post back

12-21-08 07:51 PM
    coulda fooled me since you quoted me
    12-21-08 07:52 PM
    Ok the first part was me responding to you...the second part was for pete

12-21-08 07:59 PM
    I have had zero problems running DM on VMware.
    12-21-08 08:25 PM
    I'm also running DM with VMFusion with no problems including backups. Updated my OS to 0.83 without a problem as well. However, I'd still like a good option for syncing my addresses and calendar to the MAC. PocketMac has been very sporadic. I tried Missing Sync which worked a little better than PocketMac but not enough to spend the $40. After uninstalling Missing Sync and reinstalling PocketMac I can't get it to sync correctly at all. I was excited when I saw the RIM program for MAC the other day but then saw that it was only for syncing media files. Hopefully, they'll come out with a full MAC solution soon. Until then I'll just have to sync to Outlook using VM.
    12-21-08 09:29 PM

For most people... computers come before phones....
    12-21-08 09:36 PM
    clearing the browser cache worked perfecctly
    12-21-08 09:36 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD