I keep hearing about people trading their original Storms for the newly made ones. What is the difference? I have an original one and love it, BUT if the new ones are better what can I do to get one? I do not have insurance or anything on it. Please answer both questions. I am also running 109 on it if you wanna know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 01:14 PM
    Only the manufacturing date is different. If you're happy, stay with what you have. There has been no proof that the new ones are any better. It's a game of chance really. Until you see actual part number proof, it's all the same.

03-12-09 01:31 PM
    They all have the same hardware faults.
    03-12-09 01:33 PM
    I agree. My Storm is also from 11/21 and works great. No way am I trading it in for one that might be refurbished or even a new one that might have issues. I won't ***** at those who have switched two or three times already but I am guessing in some cases, nothing was going to make them happy except complaining about the entire phone. In that case, I would tell them to look at a different BB.
    03-12-09 01:34 PM
    If you love your Storm, why do you need a new one? Just to keep up with the Jones'? Ever heard the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"
    How do you intend to convince Verizon to give you a new handset if you didn't purchase insurance? Why would you possibly think you qualify for one? If your handset is malfunctioning due to a defect and it's covered by warranty I'd be behind you, but you are implying that you just want a shiny new handset.

If you are running OS .109 then Verizon will be very skeptical about giving you any kind of warranty return. You are running an unauthorized and unapproved OS on a piece of hardware that may or may not adversely react to that software...yet you seem to think you are entitled to a new handset.

Interesting.
    03-12-09 01:35 PM
    Nothing is wrong with it, I have just heard that the new ones are made a little different like a smaller gap between the frame and the click screen. My software is doing great, I was just asking because I just want the best out there. Thats all. About the software, I could always downgrade to the last official OS and they would never know the difference.
    03-12-09 02:51 PM
    If it's not broken, don't fix it. I have a early model and don't have any problems .75 OS to boot, using quick pull because it's there.
    03-12-09 03:01 PM
    i had an original one and i noticed the replacement i just got has a slight blue tint to the screen when off. also the screen click is alot more even. in other words on my old one it would click fine everywhere its just that some places were stiffer and other places had more give. this one clicks more evenly around the whole screen with a little more give to it
    03-12-09 03:13 PM
    If you love your Storm, why do you need a new one? Just to keep up with the Jones'? Ever heard the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"
    How do you intend to convince Verizon to give you a new handset if you didn't purchase insurance? Why would you possibly think you qualify for one? If your handset is malfunctioning due to a defect and it's covered by warranty I'd be behind you, but you are implying that you just want a shiny new handset.

If you are running OS .109 then Verizon will be very skeptical about giving you any kind of warranty return. You are running an unauthorized and unapproved OS on a piece of hardware that may or may not adversely react to that software...yet you seem to think you are entitled to a new handset.

Interesting.
    Why do you have to be a **** about it? He was only asking if there was a difference, not how he can rip someone off.

03-12-09 03:16 PM
    I keep hearing about people trading their original Storms for the newly made ones. What is the difference? I have an original one and love it, BUT if the new ones are better what can I do to get one? I do not have insurance or anything on it. Please answer both questions. I am also running 109 on it if you wanna know.

There is only one difference that I know of. RIM switched to a different screen type that is somewhat firmer. Hence you would get a more even screen click. The older ones tended not to click on the edges because the screen material was flimsy. However, I believe you lose slight picture quality for the stiffened screen.
    03-12-09 03:41 PM
    I have a new one but around the corners I have to push about double the pressure of anywhere else. I can deal with it though.
    03-12-09 03:51 PM
    Just received a replacemnt unit. Older one was accumulating dust under the click lens. New lens does seem more substantial.
    03-12-09 04:02 PM
    I am thinking sooner or later if the Storm hardware does have some flaws(The clicking and the dust) Rim will revise the model. Time will tell. I am sure it can't continue like it is. Get dust under the screen and return it for a new Storm. As Civic has stated we won't know until part numbers change.
    03-12-09 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD