Scalemaster-Do you have any trouble with delay on getting your messages through the Gmail app? I used it in conjunction with the account set up on my BB for a bit but it was way behind or I had to refresh constantly to get my mail to come through. Didn't know if maybe I had a setting off or if that was just how it was?
    I've checked and messages come thru about the same time to my BB as they do on my PC. But only if I have the Gmail application running. If I forget to load it after an over night Quick-Pull reset, then I don't get any notifications like I do with the BB Email Application.

You could set-up a GMail account using POP3 (instructions under GMail options on Google) and use the BB Email Application (use the Wizard), which will PUSH email too you. But I don't think it will sync read and sent messages in that mode.

Gmail isn't my main account so it isn't a problem if I don't get those right away.
    04-13-09 10:33 AM
    Most often the Blackberry address is linked to the carrier for the device... In this world of changing carriers being locked to an email address that will go bye bye when you switch carriers isnt cool. Same as people that your @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address from their cable and phone companies.

A stand alone email address is always a good idea. Gmail works well, and with the update to BIS you can get true IMAP support.
    Ah. I've always used a stand alone email address so that is why I was a little confused.
    04-13-09 10:35 AM
    There is a delay when using gmail app, however no delay when setup to receive gmail directly on bb through imap.
    Ahh, so IMAP is the key. I've never set it up that way but I am guessing the info to do it is pretty easy to find. Thank you sloan for that info. I do prefer to use my BB instead of the app. I like the way the information is presented better on my Storm via BIS than I do via the app. Plus phone numbers and other email addresses tend to show up and be usable moreso than they are in the Gmail app.

Thanks again Sloan!
    04-13-09 10:43 AM
    I've checked and messages come thru about the same time to my BB as they do on my PC. But only if I have the Gmail application running. If I forget to load it after an over night Quick-Pull reset, then I don't get any notifications like I do with the BB Email Application.

You could set-up a GMail account using POP3 (instructions under GMail options on Google) and use the BB Email Application (use the Wizard), which will PUSH email too you. But I don't think it will sync read and sent messages in that mode.

Gmail isn't my main account so it isn't a problem if I don't get those right away.

Yeah it definately can be an issue if you forget to run the app again. I had that problem too at first but even after I began runining it consistently I was still getting a delay. Idk, one of those things I suppose.

I think I am going to try the IMAP thing as Sloan suggested. That really would be the answer to my issues.

Hopefully all this will help some other folks as well.
    04-13-09 10:45 AM
    Yahoo or gmail! I use both.
    04-13-09 02:50 PM
    There have been a lot of discussions about BIS not providing folder support using IMAP (only Inbox, Sent, and Trash, I believe), with the comment that the only way to to get folder support is to use BES, or a third-party IMAP application such as LogicMail. Has that changed?
    04-13-09 05:50 PM
    Still no imap folders in BIS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 05:53 PM
    I just use gmail , but use BIS for configuring my gmail account directly from the phone.
    04-13-09 06:12 PM
    Sorry, I forgot about this thread: to those of you asked about the read status thing, log onto the BIS website and either re-add your account, or open it and select "sync read status'. This was part of the 2.6 rollout.

And the ads I was referring to are things like "Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or less." or "McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now!" that you see at the footer of emails.
    04-17-09 11:27 AM
    There have been a lot of discussions about BIS not providing folder support using IMAP (only Inbox, Sent, and Trash, I believe), with the comment that the only way to to get folder support is to use BES, or a third-party IMAP application such as LogicMail. Has that changed?
    I believe it is still true that BIS does not support folders. But email folder is really irrelevant to me. Once a week, I log on to my email accounts on my laptop and archive off my emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 12:44 PM
    I use both Gmail and Yahoo over BIS and like them both.
    04-17-09 12:52 PM
    I have been using Gmail with IMAP without any issues on syncing so far.

Instructions: h**p://forums.crackberry.com/f86/configure-gmail-imap-storm-109111/

[Replace ** with tt]

Hope this helps.
    04-17-09 12:57 PM
    I use yahoo
    04-17-09 01:11 PM
    I use yahoo. I have noticed that I get it on my BB within 5 seconds or less from when it gets into my inbox. Two issues I have so far is that if I read a message that is in the spam folder, and mark it as not spam, it still gets sent to the BB, even though its opened, but that is a minor annoyance. Second is that I rarely check my e-mail through yahoo anymore, and some decent e-mails get into the spam folder so I have to go back every now and then, but that is more of my issue than yahoo or BB. Everything else works great.
    04-17-09 02:34 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD