After watching all the hands on videos from the UK that Crackberry has been posting these past few days, I made an observation. In 2 videos, specifically megawhat and stuff tv, when showing the web browser and zooming in by double tapping, the reporters repeatedly were zooming in with each tap. In the megawhat video, the reporter moved on to another feature. In the stuff tv video, the reporter explained that in order to zoom back out, you hit one of the physical buttons on the bottom of the phone (or in her case, the right hand side as she held it in portrait mode).

My impression was that the browser would zoom in and out with a double tap. First in, then out if the gesture is repeated on the same area, like on an Iphone. But it appears that perhaps you do need to tap a physical button to zoom back out. It will be interesting to find out what the truth is once we get more videos and reviews online.
    11-07-08 09:49 PM
    After watching all the hands on videos from the UK that Crackberry has been posting these past few days, I made an observation. In 2 videos, specifically megawhat and stuff tv, when showing the web browser and zooming in by double tapping, the reporters repeatedly were zooming in with each tap. In the megawhat video, the reporter moved on to another feature. In the stuff tv video, the reporter explained that in order to zoom back out, you hit one of the physical buttons on the bottom of the phone (or in her case, the right hand side as she held it in portrait mode).

My impression was that the browser would zoom in and out with a double tap. First in, then out if the gesture is repeated on the same area, like on an Iphone. But it appears that perhaps you do need to tap a physical button to zoom back out. It will be interesting to find out what the truth is once we get more videos and reviews online.
    Double tap zooms in, ESC key zooms out. It's described in the user guide and works that way in the simulator
    11-07-08 10:01 PM
    Funny, I noticed that as well...

I was kinda hoping that the browser would work like the iPhone and iPod Touch does. IMHO, the UI on the Apple products is highly intuitive. I really hope that the Storm's UI proves to be as responsive and as user friendly as the apple stuff.

I agree, I'm looking forward to more videos and online reviews.
    11-07-08 10:04 PM
    One thing I am sort of bummed about is the lack of momentum scrolling. Is that a result of an Apple patent of sorts, or the Storm's processor not being able to process that sort of information quick enough, or what?
    11-07-08 10:32 PM
    One thing I am sort of bummed about is the lack of momentum scrolling. Is that a result of an Apple patent of sorts, or the Storm's processor not being able to process that sort of information quick enough, or what?
    Yes, sadly Apple patented many of their multi-touch gestures, forcing other manufacters to come up with their own. No bad thing, necessarily - providing someone thinks of something good. Having now used a Storm, it was very impressive. VERY impressive. Web browsing is its only shortcoming in terms of fluidity and experience, but I don't buy a phone to surf - that's just a bonus.
    11-08-08 06:15 AM
    I think they made it so each time you tapped again it would zoom in another level. At least that's what it looked like. That would explain the need to use the Esc key to zoom out though. I think once we get used to the phone it will seem more fluid. And don't forget, this is just the launch. RIM has "promised" to continue to work on and improve existing and new multi touch features. If this is their future, it only makes sense that they would.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD