it's true that the fade effect between applications is visually appealing, but it also gives the false sense of lag. Like when I lock the screen for example. On my pearl I just held the mute button and the screen shut off right away letting me know it's locked. With the storm I have to wait for the icons to disappear and then the screen slowly fades out. Can't we just set it to shut off the screen? I find myself waiting for the screen to turn off to be certain its locked. I also end up hitting lock twice or accidentally locking the phone because of this effect.

Anyone else with me on this?
    11-25-08 12:17 AM
    it's true that the fade effect between applications is visually appealing, but it also gives the false sense of lag. Like when I lock the screen for example. On my pearl I just held the mute button and the screen shut off right away letting me know it's locked. With the storm I have to wait for the icons to disappear and then the screen slowly fades out. Can't we just set it to shut off the screen? I find myself waiting for the screen to turn off to be certain its locked. I also end up hitting lock twice or accidentally locking the phone because of this effect.

Anyone else with me on this?
    Yours sounds REALLY slow. Mine the fade is nearly instantaneous. Have you down a battery pull lately? Also are you still running memory hog VZ Nav?
    11-25-08 12:20 AM
    i've done many a battery pull. VZ nav is also deleted. Are there any settings for the display that I missed? Mine is pretty slow, but I figured just like everyone elses.
    11-25-08 12:23 AM
    mine is the same as yours when going into lock mode pir800. its fast otherwise but going into lock the icons first disappear then its just my name / the BG and part up top, then another 3 seconds to fade out.

Are you mainly afraid its not actually locking? If so just press the lock and put it away then take it back out 10 second later to see it did indeed lock. might ease your apprehension if this is the case
    11-25-08 12:25 AM
    yeah I do, but it just doesn't feel right.
    11-25-08 12:40 AM
    I think its really just mental. Its not lag at all. The unit locks simultaneously. ^^^^ maybe you should do what the above poster suggested.
    11-25-08 12:42 AM
    I agree that the fade is somewhat annoying. Would like a way to disable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 07:06 PM
    its totally annoying
    12-09-08 07:09 PM
    This also p!ssed me off so much that I got the sleeper case so I could just holster it vs. lock it. That and I was dealing with the accelerometer freeze coming out of lock.
    12-09-08 07:12 PM
    Annoying & It has to slow things down.

Should be an option under Display to Enable/Disable!
    12-09-08 07:24 PM
    I think the fade is just to long. I have the same problem when trying to unlock the phone. Sometimes I press it once and the unlock doesn't unlock right away because of the fade, then I press it again and by the time it finally unlocks, I've alread missed a phone call. Quite annoying...
    12-09-08 07:28 PM
    Yes, it sucks. Without hardware acceleration this was a poor choice for RIM to implement. .75 and .76 are definitely better than .65 was, but still too slow.
    12-09-08 11:57 PM
    So lets bump this back up, has anyone found a way to disable the fade? Any ideas? I know that Windows has an option disable the fade effect to gain performance (not much, albeit), so I'm hoping there's a way to disable it here.
    12-11-08 10:50 PM
    No settings for any screen settings on the phone. sorry, maybe in a future update from RIM
    12-11-08 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD