Today I had the need to call 911 while driving and now I'm wondering if there is a way to set a button on the Storm for 911? I did a search for this ? but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks
    cindi
    08-05-09 02:59 PM
    set convenience key to voice dial, then say 911, and it will call for you...make sure you have 911 set as a contact...
    08-05-09 03:06 PM
    So you want to make it so you only have to dial one number instead of 3? You call 911 that often?? lol
    08-05-09 03:30 PM
    I think they disable features like this because it causes too many people to accidentally dial 9-1-1. I mean seriously, imagine if you could set one of your side convenience keys to dial 9-1-1. LOL.
    08-05-09 03:53 PM
    You can if you use the Quick Launch App... Allows you to create shortcuts for phone calls (only on your contacts) emails websites sms mms the works... u can pick it up at the Crackberry store for 4.99... its worth it.
    08-05-09 04:02 PM
    Yeah, I would be dialing 911 accidentally constantly!

Here's an idea though...install the app called QuickLaunch and put 911 in your QL menu. Then you assign QL to your left side convenience keys. Then the process will be to use the key to launch QL then select 911.

But, I think the voice dial idea is probably easier. MUCH harder to dial 911 by accident that way.

Oops, rollies beat me to it!
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 08-05-09 at 04:03 PM. Reason: edit
    08-05-09 04:02 PM
    Of course QL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love QL and don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Great tip for setting the voice dialing for one of the keys. I had it set for my camera but the pics are so terrible that I rarely use the camera. I already have the left key set for QL. Thanks again for those who took my question seriously and offered great ideas.

Cindi
    08-05-09 04:10 PM
    So you want to make it so you only have to dial one number instead of 3? You call 911 that often?? lol
    snotrocket... your name belies your intelligence. Don't be a friggin *****. The Storm's touch screen does not always easily lend itself to getting to the key pad and responding reliably. You or a loved one ever have a real emergency and needed immediate help? no... I didn't think so. Get a clue.
    08-05-09 04:14 PM
    For me I use speed dial numbers.
    I set 9-1-1 to the number 9.
    That's simple enough. And it's free to use.
    08-05-09 05:29 PM
    I have 911 as my emergency number set in PatternLock
    08-05-09 05:44 PM
    911 used to be set to a lot of dumb phone as 9, as in you hold down the 9 button and it automatically dials 911 and sets the device to "emergency mode". I would figure they stopped this practice as there were too many accidental 911 dials in peoples pockets .

But you could replicate this just by setting 911 as I quick dial as suggested above.
    08-07-09 07:00 PM
    I can tell you this, as a professional responder, if you're in your car and you feel the need to call 911, you should be pulling over and waiting for fire/ems/law to show up. There's a really good chance 911 is going to need information than what you got as you 'just drove by' and they may very likely CALL YOU BACK to get even more info as it's requested... and if you're not there anymore it really doesn't do anyone any good.

There are certain thing (especially location) that can't be transferred by cell phone like they are automatically on a land line, so cell calls to 911 often end up leading us on wild goose (geese?) chases because a 'passer by' didn't think it was important enough to stop, but thought enough to illegally use their phone while driving.

I'm not trying to be down on people who use the 911 system, but it's just that, A System, not just a number. Once you activate it, you should try to stick with it until help arrives for whomever you called for.

With all that said, it's probably not necessary to have speed-dial-911. Just pull over and make a call... just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by rigging65; 08-07-09 at 09:54 PM. Reason: because I can't spell...
    08-07-09 09:50 PM
    Personally I would definitely consider using Voice Dial as a Side Key. My thing is, if you crash, and you break your screen, it's gonna be a bit difficult to call, because your keypad is on the screen. So I would highly recommend just using voice dial. Plus, if you're using a bluetooth, it's better because in an accident, 60% of the time you will lose your phone somewhere in the car out of reach. Just some things to think about.
    08-08-09 12:05 AM
    Wouldn't it be a lot easier to carry an old phone in your car and just use that with speed dial on a physical keyboard to call? I keep an old phone in my car, because even if they don't have a plan you can still call emergency.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 12:32 AM
    You know its not illegal in all states right? In Minnesota where I am, its legal to talk and drive.
    I can tell you this, as a professional responder, if you're in your car and you feel the need to call 911, you should be pulling over and waiting for fire/ems/law to show up. There's a really good chance 911 is going to need information than what you got as you 'just drove by' and they may very likely CALL YOU BACK to get even more info as it's requested... and if you're not there anymore it really doesn't do anyone any good.

There are certain thing (especially location) that can't be transferred by cell phone like they are automatically on a land line, so cell calls to 911 often end up leading us on wild goose (geese?) chases because a 'passer by' didn't think it was important enough to stop, but thought enough to illegally use their phone while driving.

I'm not trying to be down on people who use the 911 system, but it's just that, A System, not just a number. Once you activate it, you should try to stick with it until help arrives for whomever you called for.

With all that said, it's probably not necessary to have speed-dial-911. Just pull over and make a call... just my 2 cents.
    08-08-09 12:34 AM
    Install pattern lock pro (it is way more fun to unlock your phone with) You can set an emergency button on the locked screen! All you do is tap tap and 911 is being dialed!
    08-08-09 12:36 AM
    I could be wrong but I believe some or most laws have exceptions for using the phone to make an emergency call.
    08-10-09 04:00 PM
    I could be wrong but I believe some or most laws have exceptions for using the phone to make an emergency call.
    That may be true, and there are still some states that let you talk and drive (probably not for too long though)...either way, it's not safe. Why add to the problem? Just pull over and THEN use the phone. Multitasking goes only so far!
    08-10-09 04:17 PM
    Well I must apologize. When I asked this question I truly thought it was a legit one and I was looking for help on it as I am a new BB user/owner.

My main thinking was that when you see something that needs 911 response, you want the fastest action so help can be sent. Of course I would pull over to call but even then I would want to make that call as quick as possible. I have chosen to set my right conv. key for voice dialing and will use for 911 should the need arise in the future. (I don't normally lock my phone and I wouldn't want it accidently calling 911 if the phone was in my purse. (This would be if the speed dial was set for 9 for 911.)

Again thanks for your ideas and comments.
    08-10-09 04:26 PM
    There are times when pulling over is not an option. I had a GF that had a protection order against an ex-husband and had to out run him till she could get to the police for help. That was before cell phones, but the same things stii happen today.

08-10-09 04:36 PM
    I was worried about this a while ago so I added it to quick launch. I was less worried about calling while driving as I was with potentially having a heart attack. While it hasn't happened to me, I can only imagine that it would be somewhat difficult to, 1. unlock phone (which on the storm can take a while), 2. press the green phone key, 3. dial 9-1-1 on the keypad (if it's what shows up when you hit the green dial key and if your storms screen actually registers the 9. Mine has difficulty sometimes.
    Course, I'd also want to call the police quickly if someone broke into my house.
    I am hopefully not going to have this problem any time soon but at least my old 8703 had a 911 option when the screen was locked.
    Why not on the Storm?
    08-10-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD