So I dropped my storm into a cup of beer. But it only made it's way about half way up the storm. The phone still turns on, I can receive calls, texts, bbm, and the camera still even works (the capture sound goes off.) The only thing is that the screen is completely black. There is a backlight on it, but nothing shows. I went into verizon and showed them what was up with it, hoping they wouldnt say it was water damaged. The water marks on both the storm and battery are both unactivated, so I really don't know how they can tell if it it water damaged.

They're shipping me a new one now, but I'm wondering if I ship back my current one are they going to say it was water damage and charge me full price for it? Or do you think I'll still be able to get away with it? Keep in mind that the thing on the inside of the battery area is still completely white, and the battery one is white with a red stripe through it. (both are how they are on a new storm, iiirc)
    05-21-09 01:34 PM
    I don't know if they have ways other than the sticker to tell. Does it smell like beer? This is a good reason to pony up the cost of insurance on that new one you just got. You just can't predict an accident.

Grey
    05-21-09 01:44 PM
    I don't know if they have ways other than the sticker to tell. Does it smell like beer? This is a good reason to pony up the cost of insurance on that new one you just got. You just can't predict an accident.

Grey
    Not only that, but I would think that there will be some stickiness in the phone where it was submerged. They will probably be able to tell that way. I'm just speculating.
    05-21-09 01:47 PM
    Haha, if they find dried beer inside the phone they might figure it out, but tell them to prove it since the moisture damage indicators didn't trip...they won't be able to, and you can claim that any debris inside the phone is due to the manufacturers defect that allows dust etc behind screen.
    05-21-09 01:49 PM
    They will be able to tell once they open it, as there will be corosion from the liquid, however...

Once it gets to that point, it is most likely been in a box of a bunch of broken storms, and wont take the time to track it back to the person who had it before.

I would say congrats for getting over on "Big Red"...
    05-21-09 01:57 PM
    It doesn't really smell like beer at all. I'm assuming when they get them they just have someone check out the water mark stickers to see if it was water damaged. I'm wouldn't think they would really take the time to take it all apart to check out if there is any corrosion on the inside of it with all of the storms that have been sent back.
    05-21-09 02:06 PM
    So I dropped my storm into a cup of beer.

Now that's funny and I relate 100%. My son got into my Tahoe with a cup of milk and I had the Storm on the center console and the first time I hit the breaks my phone goes right into the milk. I yanked it out and pulled the battery and drained it good. I let it dry in the sun for about 1/2 a day then cleaned it with alcohol so it did not smell. Still works like it did before the dunking. Now my boat ramp incident did not turn out so good but that another story.
    05-21-09 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD