I've had a number of issues with my Blackberry Storm and I've been offered a warranty replacement by Verizon, but decided to go home and think about it because as crazy as I am, I've gotten attached to the one I have and am paranoid that if I get another one I'll have more problems. I'm in love with the Blackberry Storm.

Do you know if there is a way to do a warranty replacement and get a refurbished Storm 2? Even if there is a price difference, I'd be willing to pay the difference. Has anyone ever been given the opportunity to do this? Thanks in advance for your advice!

***UPDATE***

After speaking nicely with a Verizon Technician by e-mail, he also agreed that I needed a replacement. I explained that I was already on my 2nd replacement, and this would be the 3rd time it would be replaced. I asked if it were possible to get a refurbished Storm 2 instead. After some confusion on his end, he confirmed that my phone had already been replaced twice and got the authorization to send me a refurbished Storm 2. (It will arrive with no battery cover and he confirmed with me that this will be okay. I can easily get one on eBay.)

My Storm 2 is set to arrive on Wednesday. The technician was very kind and attentive and took minutes, not hours to reply to my e-mails.

If anyone else has had multiple replacements on their Storm and needs some further advice on getting this resolved and getting a Storm 2, please don't hesitate to send me a message. Thanks again to everyone for your help!
    Last edited by VickyR913; 03-22-10 at 03:30 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    03-22-10 10:30 AM
    If you had repeated exchanges in a short period of time, they might upgrade you, but the way you described it, not a chance. Depending on how long you've had the S1, you could upgrade to the S2 and sell your replaced S1 on ebay. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the replacement device. I think it will be fine. If not, have it replaced again. They'll do it as often as you need if there is anything wrong with what they send you.
    03-22-10 10:35 AM
    I wouldn't worry about it. Go for the warranty replacement. The odds are you're going to get a device that works the way you want it to. It won't take long to get used to the replacement. There will undoubtedly be some who will say they weren't happy, but I'm the majority will say go for the replacement. I've had a couple over the years and haven't had any problems at all. Make sure to make a backup of your current device to transfer your addy book etc to the new device or use the device switcher in DM to move your info to the new phone. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 10:39 AM
    If you had repeated exchanges in a short period of time, they might upgrade you, but the way you described it, not a chance. Depending on how long you've had the S1, you could upgrade to the S2 and sell your replaced S1 on ebay. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the replacement device. I think it will be fine. If not, have it replaced again. They'll do it as often as you need if there is anything wrong with what they send you.
    Wow, that was quick. Thanks for your advice. I was thinking about that option also. Although, this is the 3rd Blackberry Storm I've had through warranty replacements. My first one was glitchy from the start and wouldn't record playable videos, my second one would freeze upon plugging it in along with freezing multiple times during the day, and this one has had too many problems to list. In all cases the Verizon techs haven't been able to fix the issues even after reloading the OS.

I think I've just had a string of bad luck!
    03-22-10 10:40 AM
    No, you had typical Storm replacement issues. Either you get a good one or you get a lemon. Keep plugging at them for one that works perfectly and make it clear they have one final chance to fulfil the contract you both agreed - supply of phone and service in exchange for money. If they can't get a good phone after 3 attempts remind them that despite the contractual commitment they have *never* provided you with a fully functional device. Give them a hard time and mutter "breach of contract". Don't take "no" for an answer, you have a right to be supplied with exactly one working phone.
    03-22-10 11:01 AM
    Keep complaining and don't give up...they will eventually give in.

03-22-10 11:06 AM
    I agree.. Go with the warranty replacement and if doesn't meet your expectations, keep giving them ****!
    03-22-10 12:02 PM
    Okay everyone! Thanks for all your advice. I have been in touch with a technician by e-mail and they too have offered me a replacement device which I WILL accept. I inquired about the Storm 2 and will keep you all updated about how it all turns out. Thanks!
    03-22-10 01:21 PM
    ***UPDATE***

After speaking nicely with a Verizon Technician by e-mail, he also agreed that I needed a replacement. I explained that I was already on my 2nd replacement, and this would be the 3rd time it would be replaced. I asked if it were possible to get a refurbished Storm 2 instead. After some confusion on his end, he confirmed that my phone had already been replaced twice and got the authorization to send me a refurbished Storm 2. (It will arrive with no battery cover and he confirmed with me that this will be okay. I can easily get one on eBay.)

My Storm 2 is set to arrive on Wednesday. The technician was very kind and attentive and took minutes, not hours to reply to my e-mails.

If anyone else has had multiple replacements on their Storm and needs some further advice on getting this resolved and getting a Storm 2, please don't hesitate to send me a message. Thanks again to everyone for your help!
    03-22-10 03:30 PM
    ***UPDATE***

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you! Its nice that they'll still replace the S1 with the S2. Interesting how the S2 doesn't come with a back. My refurbed Tours have all come with backs on them. Maybe you'll get lucky.

03-22-10 03:57 PM
    Glad to hear that everything worked out for you! Its nice that they'll still replace the S1 with the S2. Interesting how the S2 doesn't come with a back. My refurbed Tours have all come with backs on them. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I thought that as well but then I remembered reading that when they replace your phone with a refurbished one, you keep your original back and put it on the new one. Maybe he's wrong though, maybe it's not like that with the Blackberry phones.
    03-22-10 04:20 PM
    I pulled it off today too, called VZW and told my phone wouldn't charge correctly again. This being my 4th replacement may have had something to do with it. But the CS rep told me to ask tech support for a "Like replacement" So I tried and they were like sure thing we'll order and send out your Storm 2 immediately. No hassle, no tough questions, no contract extensions, I even keep my new NE2 date of Feb, which will hopefully be just in time for the Storm 3. GO VZW!!! So what if its old, lol my Storm 1 literally had no issues unless I caused em. Shhhhh!!!!! Yeah my storm 1 played paper towel to my spilling drink last night. LOL!!! 1+ for me. I've gotten over hmm whats that 4 times now.
    10-29-10 10:43 PM
    they should give you a back for the device. I have never heard of such a thing...
    no battery I have heard of but no back and the phone is a different replacement?
    Call back and see if you can get a back. It is not fair for you to have to go on ebay and buy a back for your device. That isn't good customer service. I sold wireless for almost 5 years..........that just isn't right.
    10-29-10 11:14 PM
    I pulled it off today too, called VZW and told my phone wouldn't charge correctly again. This being my 4th replacement may have had something to do with it. But the CS rep told me to ask tech support for a "Like replacement" So I tried and they were like sure thing we'll order and send out your Storm 2 immediately. No hassle, no tough questions, no contract extensions, I even keep my new NE2 date of Feb, which will hopefully be just in time for the Storm 3. GO VZW!!! So what if its old, lol my Storm 1 literally had no issues unless I caused em. Shhhhh!!!!! Yeah my storm 1 played paper towel to my spilling drink last night. LOL!!! 1+ for me. I've gotten over hmm whats that 4 times now.
    Bully for you. When you send your old one back and find that it has liquid damage, or no WARRANTY issues, maybe they'll charge your account 400 bucks retail. Thx for helping to screw prices and policies up for everyone else.

10-30-10 09:43 PM
    There's nothing to be "privi" to, the Storm is no longer available so you get the Storm 2. It's more simple than PM'ing you.
    Last edited by supermario28; 11-02-10 at 02:50 AM.
    11-02-10 02:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD