I was walking the other day and my phone popped out of the holster and fell into a pile of snow. It just kinda landed on top of the snow not deep down in it.

sooo.

I immediately dried it off and such. afterwards the screen didnt respond to my touch so i figured it was because my hands were cold and the screen reads body heat

After letting it sit over night with the battery out and such it was not working properly. it would hardly recognize my touch at all only maybe one touch out of every 50. no scrolling or anything.

the only reason i say this as a warning is because the phone was in a case so it didnt get wet in the back and it landed face up so very little water got on the front and even still it was cleared off instantly.

Verizon was nice enough to give me a new one in store but i just still thought i would let people know that are dealing with rough winter weather that they should be extra careful when dealing with their phones around the snow.

kinda common sense but still thought i would share.

Also whats kind of funny. i got my phone in the first batch that was sent out the day that it was released. i never had any problems with mine or anything but i do notice a hardware improvement in the new one i got. the screen seems to click alot better and quicker when i text so my texting is a little faster.

also towards the external buttons at the bottom of the phone and at the very top near the speaker the phone clicks alot easier up there. it especially helps when typing landscape and when you are trying to select someones name in a text message when you want to call them or something like that.

other than that everything is normal. came with .75 installed already
    12-23-08 11:28 PM
    I went snowboarding with mine last weekend. I put my phone in my Columbia coat up on my chest for easy access. As the day went on I would check my phone for updates. I noticed it running very slowly due to the cold weather. I then began carrying the phone in my jeans again to keep it near my body heat and that helped a lot. Basically, do the best you can to keep it warm.
    12-24-08 12:04 AM
    same with me got lots of snow here and was waiting outside and blah it just wouldnt respond lol .. i got pissed .lol
    12-24-08 12:06 AM
    Dropped mine is a pile of snow about 2 weeks ago, no issues at all. Not just on top but it was about a foot down.
    12-24-08 12:34 AM
    I left mine out in my truck for about 2 hours today, in the high 20's and it was Definitely acting strange til it warmed up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 12:39 AM
    i just went snowboarding as well and left it in my napoleon pocket...it almost got too slow to make/receive calls on the mountain. It scared me a first, but then it got better as it warmed. did you have a case on it? i was worried that my plastic case was keeping moisture inside somehow? i love that other people took their storms boarding!!
    12-24-08 12:45 AM
    Yea it prob didn't help that I had been out side all day and was outside even longer after ut happened
    12-24-08 12:53 AM
    the screen didnt respond to my touch so i figured it was because my hands were cold and the screen reads body heat
    Just FYI, the screen doesn't sense body heat, it senses the capacitance of your body. That doesn't change with temperature.
    12-24-08 01:03 AM
    yellow snow is kind of brutal too.
    12-24-08 01:08 AM
    took mine snowmobiling last week, it was between 5 and 10 C I didn't ever notice it slowing down? I took it out a couple times to take pictures.

Maybe a solution would be to put one of those disposable hand warmers in the same pocket as the phone.
    12-24-08 01:19 AM
    So ur sayin this would not be good for when I go surfing

12-24-08 01:34 AM
    mine worked fine outside windchil was -15 temp was +2
    12-24-08 02:22 AM
    mine worked fine outside windchil was -15 temp was +2
    Windchill? That was our HIGH here the other day. Sad, I know.
    12-24-08 02:25 AM
    went snowboarding today, and the phone was cold, everything worked fine, but the button clicks seemed less deep all over the phone, after it warmed up everything is normal as before.
    12-24-08 02:54 AM
    Over the years I've had the Chocolate, Chocolate 2 and the Voyager all prior to getting my Storm 2 weeks ago...I just accept the fact that touch screens don't work while wearing gloves nor work as ideally in colder weather. Nature of the beast and technology.

If it weren't for the difference in a heated touch vs. just being touched everyone would bark that when anything touches the screen errant emails, texts and calls would be happening. Heck, I loathe that happening with my Curve 8330 (which I still have for work and prior to that the 7250) when I holster it and 27 keys get hit putting it away and I have to back out of 4 screens when I pull it out to get or compose an email.
    12-24-08 04:16 AM
    Thanks for the information O.P. - I did learn some things about the phone and cold weather. - However, with global warming I keep hearing about, we really won't have many experiences with the phone being sluggish in cold weather...ahem.
    12-24-08 04:19 AM
    I took mine skiing (sorry boarders, gotta represent) last week and I kept it in the outer pocket of my Columbia jacket and used it as my mp3 player. Didn't have any issues so perhaps there is something to keeping it active.

Btw, using headphones to make handsfree calls works tremendously well when skiing.
    12-24-08 08:56 AM
    Word of caution:
    Went snowmobiling today and when I goT back inside my storm started to condensate... All over. Idk what that means but be cautious of that going hot to cold

12-24-08 09:21 AM
    I went snowboarding with mine last weekend. I put my phone in my Columbia coat up on my chest for easy access. As the day went on I would check my phone for updates. I noticed it running very slowly due to the cold weather. I then began carrying the phone in my jeans again to keep it near my body heat and that helped a lot. Basically, do the best you can to keep it warm.
    I wonder if putting one of those disposable hand warmers in the pocket with your Storm would be enough to keep it running smooth?
    12-24-08 09:22 AM
    Just putting this out there, the capacative screen aspect of the Storm doesn't react to body heat and is fine to use in cold conditions.... its reaction is to electrical impulses...
    12-24-08 09:24 AM
    WHAT should i say to them, i dropped my phone cause it was on my damn stupid lap when i got out the work van,and it fell in the snow..i grabbed it and gave it sucking CPR and, restarted it..it worked fine then i noticed it was not scrolling and not responding to touch and now i have to restart to use different apps..i want to know how to get a new phone any tips would be great i dont want to pay for the phone AGAIN!
    01-30-09 03:18 PM
    Dropped mine is a pile of snow about 2 weeks ago, no issues at all. Not just on top but it was about a foot down.

you must be like 45 feet tall then
    01-30-09 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD