Spoke with VZW rep; there will only be two ways to purchase.
    On line or to order from the internet; I guess they don't wan't
    yahoos like us crowding the stores. They must have some major interest going.
    10-02-08 03:20 PM
    You must have meant on the phone or online.
    10-02-08 03:21 PM
    I doubt they exclude stores from this, the foot traffic to stores strictly because of this device is going to be phenomanal and give representatives a potential to either sell it, a new phone, accessories, or something!

I wouldn't put a whole lot of thought into what that rep said.

Edit: And also the cost of operating costs to call verizon wireless for all the "yahoos" that don't know telesales number will definitely be a negative drawback for those adding a line or starting new service since it cost VZW money each call, so a call + a transfer = bad business
    10-02-08 03:23 PM
    I have a hard time believing this simply for the fact that it's a "touchscreen" phone. To really appreciate it, you've got to play with it.

I was very interested in the Dare, until I went to a store and actually took it for a spin. Didn't like the responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the touch screen at all.
    10-02-08 03:38 PM
    I had the dare for 1 week, and honestly in the store i wasn't a fan, out of the store in my hands without the security attachments and mess, I really loved the phone, I mean, it didn't replace my blackberry but I gave it a whirl sicne I won it and it was free,
    10-02-08 03:39 PM
    soba1, maybe the rep meant there will only be 2 ways to purchase it INITIALLY?
    10-02-08 03:39 PM
    It could be that those will be the only 2 options initially. The dare was available through telesales and online prior to it being available in stores. That may be what the rep meant, it may not, it may be that the rep does not know crap about it.
    10-02-08 03:40 PM
    This could go either way...

IMHO, it would be absolutely ridiculous for Verizon to not even at least have a store model for people to play around with before they decide to purchase. Besides the few of us (yes, CB makes up a small part of RIM's target demographic) who are already in love with this phone and will purchase it the day it launches, how many consumers will really be willing to spend x amount of dollars on a brand new device sight unseen? My guess it not too many. Also, something to take into consideration, is the fact that a lot of people go to carrier stores with the intention of purchasing a new phone that day and leaving with it. They aren't concerned with brand, and will compare devices in-store to find the one that they feel fits their needs the best. When they come to that conclusion, they will leave with that phone - point blank, period. I know, I used to be one of these people, and I assume I am not alone. It would be unwise to completely cut out that portion of the market.

I could be totally off-base here, but that is what I think.
    10-02-08 03:52 PM
    nah jenay you hit a few of the 100's of reasons they wouldn't exclude in store purchases
    10-02-08 03:53 PM
    It could be that those will be the only 2 options initially. The dare was available through telesales and online prior to it being available in stores. That may be what the rep meant, it may not, it may be that the rep does not know crap about it.
    This is probably the case. When I upgraded the second line on my family plan, I was able to call CS and get the phone about a week early. I also noticed that it was available online before the stores got them. Hopefully this means that we'll be able to order these suckers a week before the 11/01-11/03 release date.
    10-02-08 03:58 PM
    Well she said when they first release it; it will be over the phone or on the net.
    I'm sure eventually it will be in the stores.
    She did say they would send e-mails when the release is near. But couldn't nail her down to a date.
    10-02-08 04:04 PM
    if you know verizon well than you would know that they almost always release smartphones online first. (you can usually order it over the phone once its online) then 2-4 weeks later they start carrying them in the store.
    10-02-08 05:22 PM
    I have a hard time believing this simply for the fact that it's a "touchscreen" phone. To really appreciate it, you've got to play with it.

I was very interested in the Dare, until I went to a store and actually took it for a spin. Didn't like the responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the touch screen at all.
    the Dare is a complete joke.
    10-02-08 05:26 PM
    It will 100% with a doubt will be released over the phone & internet first and be in the store 2-4 weeks after.
    10-02-08 05:30 PM
    u can even call verizon and if the person is intelligent, they will confirm this. my buddy works at a local store and he confirmed this too.
    10-02-08 05:33 PM
    Yeah, alot of Verizon phones you can order through telesales and online before they arrive at stores. Usually if you get a nice rep on the phone they'll put the order through before it even hits the internet. I've tried it before and took a couple of calls but I was able to order a phone before it went online.
    10-02-08 05:42 PM
    I was planning on buying this phone, but if I cant try it, I absolutely will not think about buying it. I enjoy my curve just fine.
    10-02-08 05:54 PM
    You can try it, you just have to wait 2-4 weeks before its released in stores after the intial internet and telesales release dates.
    10-02-08 07:52 PM
    plus you can order via internet or phone and still return it.
    10-02-08 07:55 PM
    I think they like the big lines in stores
    10-02-08 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD