I've seen and heard LTE mentioned several times in other threads regarding the Storm. Is the current Storm version LTE ready? When is VZW expected to have LTE? How much faster and reliable is LTE over 3G?

Let the debates begin...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-08 09:25 AM
    After re-reading the title of the thread, it all sounds like a fairy-tale.

09-30-08 09:36 AM
    It looks like it could be LTE ready from reading the specs

09-30-08 09:41 AM
    i see one of your 3 questions that are relative to the storm sub forum. at this point, the storm is not LTE compatible. it is unknown if it will be upgradeable, but i doubt it.

the rest of your questions would be better served in the general verizon forum.
    09-30-08 09:47 AM
    Well considering LTE is around the corner, the Storm is exclusive to VZW and data speed is everyones friend I think all 3 questions are relevant in regards to a sub forum for the Storm. I think it would prove beneficial to those considering the purchase of the Storm.

Besides, who died and made you forum police?? You don't like or are not interested in this thread...don't read and don't post. Its that simple.

Now, anyone that would like to converse on the Storm and LTE please feel free to share your comments. I won't bite your head off for sharing your opinion(s)/knowledge. Thx

09-30-08 10:03 AM
    Well considering LTE is around the corner, the Storm is exclusive to VZW and data speed is everyones friend I think all 3 questions are relevant in regards to a sub forum for the Storm. I think it would prove beneficial to those considering the purchase of the Storm.

Besides, who died and made you forum police?? You don't like or are not interested in this thread...don't read and don't post. Its that simple.

Now, anyone that would like to converse on the Storm and LTE please feel free to share your comments. I won't bite your head off for sharing your opinion(s)/knowledge. Thx

im not trying to be forum police. but, when you consider your questions
    When is VZW expected to have LTE? How much faster and reliable is LTE over 3G?
    these non-storm questions might get some play in this storm sub forum, but really, for the benefit of the whole CB community, they should be out in one of the other more general forums.
    09-30-08 10:27 AM
    Sorry I was hoping these questions could be addressed w/o spreading them over 3 diff forums all for the sake of the Storm. My bad.

09-30-08 11:01 AM
    The Storm is not LTE ready. It currently uses a Qualcomm MSM7600 chipset which does not have provisions for LTE. Qualcomm didn't introduce LTE capabilities until the MDM9xxx series of chipsets.
    09-30-08 11:20 AM
    Thx Civic! Do you know if moving to LTE would require a software or hardware change? So for the (current) Storm to be LTE it would have to be second gen Storm, correct?

09-30-08 11:24 AM
    Based on my previous post, obviously a hardware change because the chipset would need to be changed. Not only that, but the MDM9xxx series of chipsets are NOT backwards compatible with current EVDO Rev 0/A networks, so don't expect a phone to be designed to work on the current network and the future LTE network. Just won't happen. It's either one or the other. VZW is not slated to begin trials of LTE until late 2008 at the earliest and Qualcomm won't go full force on the MDM9xxx chipsets until sometime in 2009. I say we won't see VZW going to LTE until 2010 at the earliest and that's being optimistic.
    09-30-08 11:34 AM
    Good info! Thx again!

09-30-08 11:46 AM
    I've heard 2010 also for Verizons shift to LTE. So in two years we will probably drooling over a different blackberry.
    09-30-08 01:16 PM
    I've heard 2010 also for Verizons shift to LTE. So in two years we will probably drooling over a different blackberry.
    You're right! Just in time for my next upgrade!!
    09-30-08 01:29 PM
    the storm won't be LTE ready i did hear rumors mid summer of it being the first 4G phone for verizon.

it is however rev A evdo which will blow the **** out of any other network in america as far as speed goes TODAY. this is the biggest thing i'm interested in aside from world capabilities. i do however know that in 6 months there will be some other berry coming out that will be super sexy awesome sweet and i'll want that one too.

i have no basis as to when the shift will occur but if you keep up with the rumor mills i'm leaning towards the transition beginning early next year(verizon at least) and being fully implemented by 2010.5 maybe 2011. we all know how things like to get delayed.

btw once fully implemented, and possibly before, verizon has stated it will open it's networks to any phone from any carrier. they can't do that now due to the obvious cdma no comprende gsm. you can use SOME sprint phones on tje verizon network now it just requires a lot of hassle with tech support and your "agent/rep" better get a happy ending from you for dealing with the transition.
    09-30-08 03:24 PM
    the storm won't be LTE ready i did hear rumors mid summer of it being the first 4G phone for verizon.
    I think perhaps someone misinterpreted Rev A as being 4G, which is incorrect as LTE will obviously be their 4G technology. I however find it funny how recently Verizon has started to mention their network as being 3G. It's only happened in commercials since the whole AT&T 3G naming convention became a part of their advertising. I remember having a phone 2 years ago from VZW that had 3G CDMA written on the back, but no one made a big deal about it back then.
    09-30-08 09:05 PM

it is however rev A evdo which will blow the **** out of any other network in america as far as speed goes TODAY.
    I have a problem with this entire post but this is the most blatant BULL SH IT you posted out of the whole post. Rev A is comparable to AT&T's 3G. Depending on who you talk to would be the answer you get on which one is faster, but in NO way will one "blow the **** out" of either as far as speed goes. Maybe you need to do some more research on the subject before you post an outright lie such as it is.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 09-30-08 at 09:16 PM.
    09-30-08 09:12 PM
    I think perhaps someone misinterpreted Rev A as being 4G, which is incorrect as LTE will obviously be their 4G technology. I however find it funny how recently Verizon has started to mention their network as being 3G. It's only happened in commercials since the whole AT&T 3G naming convention became a part of their advertising. I remember having a phone 2 years ago from VZW that had 3G CDMA written on the back, but no one made a big deal about it back then.
    You are exactly right! My 8830 has it on the back too. However, when I was shopping phones (over a year ago now I guess, whenever the 8830 was released), the rep NEVER mentioned or used the term 3G. When I got home, I saw the 3G and really never thought anything of it....just thought it was a Qualcomm thing. It wasn't long that all this iPhone 3G terminology was being thrown all over the place. My buddy that has an iPhone (everyone has that buddy) argued that my phone wasn't 3G...of course all I had to do is show him the battery cover. Yup, he shut up fast...iPhone 3G was still just a dream. Long story short, VZW really missed out on the 3G marketing up to this point....it really could have been a great selling point before the other carriers finally got 3G. All I ever heard was EVDO, EVDO, EVDO (yeah, I know what??) from VZW. This being said, it will be interesting to see how VZW and RIM market the Storm. Perhaps Kieffer Sutherland downloading terrorist lists on his Storm ("24"-starts end of Oct )....now wouldn't that be cool!!
    09-30-08 09:21 PM
    This only became neccessary because although Verizon was the first in America to launch a 3G network, ATT launched it, and branded it as "3G". Personally I don't think that that is fair because it can be misleading. They have "a" 3G network, HSDPA, however, by calling it simply "3G" in advertising, many customers thought that ATT was the only company in America with a 3G network, when both Verizon and Sprint had a 3G network before ATT, and both have more coverage. So maybe it's funny to you, but it only because neccessary because ATT named advertised their 3G network, which is only one of the 4 carriers in America's as "3G".
    09-30-08 09:35 PM
    I have a problem with this entire post but this is the most blatant BULL SH IT you posted out of the whole post. Rev A is comparable to AT&T's 3G. Depending on who you talk to would be the answer you get on which one is faster, but in NO way will one "blow the **** out" of either as far as speed goes. Maybe you need to do some more research on the subject before you post an outright lie such as it is.
    I use both services, pc card from both Verizon and ATT, and have tethered with both carrier's 3G phones, and I have yet to find a significant difference. Sometimes one is slightly faster than the other, but it varies from location to location. The only benefit or real difference that I've seen, is that Verizon has more coverage in the U.S with their 3G, however, you can get international coverage with ATT.
    09-30-08 09:37 PM
    I use both services, pc card from both Verizon and ATT, and have tethered with both carrier's 3G phones, and I have yet to find a significant difference. Sometimes one is slightly faster than the other, but it varies from location to location.
    My point exactly. My personal opinion is that AT&T's is slightly faster, while Verizon's EVDO is more wide-spread(to say the least). And I believe AT&T's has more future ability in the speed area, but in no way right now will one "blow the ****" out of another.
    09-30-08 09:40 PM
    I use both services, pc card from both Verizon and ATT, and have tethered with both carrier's 3G phones, and I have yet to find a significant difference. Sometimes one is slightly faster than the other, but it varies from location to location. The only benefit or real difference that I've seen, is that Verizon has more coverage in the U.S with their 3G, however, you can get international coverage with ATT.
    I believe the only difference you are going to find between VZW 3G and At&T 3G is coverage area and a dependable network. It's obvious AT&T is still experiencing 3G growing pains...just look at the Bold and all its delays and all the issues they had with the iPhone (disclaimer: before someone jumps my a$$ not all iPhone issues were 3G related). I believe and of course WANT to believe that VZW's network has battened down the hatches and is ready for the Storm to roll in.
    09-30-08 09:45 PM
    This only became neccessary because although Verizon was the first in America to launch a 3G network, ATT launched it, and branded it as "3G". Personally I don't think that that is fair because it can be misleading. They have "a" 3G network, HSDPA, however, by calling it simply "3G" in advertising, many customers thought that ATT was the only company in America with a 3G network, when both Verizon and Sprint had a 3G network before ATT, and both have more coverage. So maybe it's funny to you, but it only because neccessary because ATT named advertised their 3G network, which is only one of the 4 carriers in America's as "3G".
    And with this so begins VZW's legal department's process of trying to find a way to sue AT&T for copywrite infringment or some other kind of infringement or misleading in advertising... whatever.
    09-30-08 09:49 PM
    And with this so begins VZW's legal department's process of trying to find a way to sue AT&T for copywrite infringment or some other kind of infringement or misleading in advertising... whatever.
    If you say so. I just spoke facts, maybe you can try addressing facts, and save your smart a$$ comments. Fact is 3G is just 3rd generation and Verizon, Sprint, ATT, and Alltell, and maybe others, all have a 3G network, yet ATT is the only one to advertise theirs as simply "3G", that's pretty ironic, looking at the fact that they were late to the 3G game, following both Verizon and Sprint. I would never suggest that Verizon should sue ATT, however, it would cause Verizon to change their marketing so that customers won't be confused, and so they understand that they also have a 3G network. You got anymore smart a$$ bull to share?
    Last edited by briankeith513; 10-01-08 at 07:56 AM.
    09-30-08 09:54 PM
    This only became neccessary because although Verizon was the first in America to launch a 3G network, ATT launched it, and branded it as "3G".
    It may be liar's poker on ATT's part but in the end it was a good marketing move. As much as I hate marketing for its attempt to sometimes beat out a superior product through great marketing, sometimes it actually works.

That said I am eagerly awaiting the coming Storm. It may be my first crackberry and I am sure I will enjoy the inevitable addiction. I will, however, wait for other to receive and review the phone before getting one. I rushed out to get a Dare and ended up returning it out of disappointment.

As for LTE, I had heard that VZW would be rolling it out in 2010 or sometime around there. That said there are too many things that can go wrong in the meatime that could push it back and the 2010 time frame was a guess at best (based on what I read). In the end, 4G is too far away to worry about for your next phone. The phone after that may be a different story though.
    09-30-08 10:04 PM
    It may be liar's poker on ATT's part but in the end it was a good marketing move. As much as I hate marketing for its attempt to sometimes beat out a superior product through great marketing, sometimes it actually works.

That said I am eagerly awaiting the coming Storm. It may be my first crackberry and I am sure I will enjoy the inevitable addiction. I will, however, wait for other to receive and review the phone before getting one. I rushed out to get a Dare and ended up returning it out of disappointment.

As for LTE, I had heard that VZW would be rolling it out in 2010 or sometime around there. That said there are too many things that can go wrong in the meatime that could push it back and the 2010 time frame was a guess at best (based on what I read). In the end, 4G is too far away to worry about for your next phone. The phone after that may be a different story though.

I concur, it was great marketing on ATT's side, and it did it's job. That's why people say, "verizon doesn't have 3G" or "verizon has 3G?" lmao. But, in all seriousness, yes, great marketing by ATT.
    09-30-08 10:07 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD