01-19-09 02:23 AM
    they should give this to me for free since the network sucks in my house

also how does this work for apartments? I would be pissed if i went to use my cell and had no bars cause my neighbors were using my femtocell! is there a way to prevent this?
    01-19-09 02:27 AM
    good point! with sprint there is, you can build an access control list and only allow certain mobiles. who knows if VZ will have / allow this...
    01-19-09 02:34 AM
    1X data???
    01-19-09 07:00 AM
    Let's hope it would include EVDO Rev A. and be firmware upgradeable to maybe LTE, but might be wishful thinking????

Also, I think the biggest value of this device would be for those folks, who might be deployed/vacationing overseas. This would allow them to bolt up to their Broadband provider while still retaining full Cell Phone connectivity to the states all without International Roaming/LD charges - at least within 5k feet of their abode. If one was also in a hotel and had an access point then one could use this to connect up through a Wi-Fi spot in a hotel or coffee shop, as well with their cell phone working.

I like the question raised with respect to limiting use to one's own devices and would therefore hope some type of security/firewall is included.
    01-19-09 09:02 AM
    Let's hope it would include EVDO Rev A. and be firmware upgradeable to maybe LTE, but might be wishful thinking????

Also, I think the biggest value of this device would be for those folks, who might be deployed/vacationing overseas. This would allow them to bolt up to their Broadband provider while still retaining full Cell Phone connectivity to the states all without International Roaming/LD charges - at least within 5k feet of their abode. If one was also in a hotel and had an access point then one could use this to connect up through a Wi-Fi spot in a hotel or coffee shop, as well with their cell phone working.

I like the question raised with respect to limiting use to one's own devices and would therefore hope some type of security/firewall is included.
    Except that it has a GPS in it so that you can't take it out of your home location.
    01-19-09 09:10 AM
    I didn't catch that - I wonder if the GPS isn't pulling a signal whether it would work and if not, some reengineering would then be necessary to get it to work outside VZW's serving area.
    01-19-09 09:51 AM
    this is absolutely excellent. far more reliable than buying an amp/repeater and putting an antenna up on my place. finally i can live in the woods and still get a freakin phone call.
    01-19-09 09:53 AM
    Except that it has a GPS in it so that you can't take it out of your home location.
    Can't take it out of your home location? Or can't take it out of the country or some larger service area? I *think* with the GSM femtocells (which admittedly bring other countries to play being GSM) the limitation is a country, not your home.
    01-19-09 10:00 AM
    1X data???
    I agree what gives?
    01-19-09 10:10 AM
    The article says that it uses GPS to not allow the customer to do that.
    01-19-09 10:12 AM
    The article says that it uses GPS to not allow the customer to do that.
    The article states: "Like Sprint's solution, the Wireless Network Extender uses GPS to verify that you're not creating little tiny Verizon networks in Laos, Kenya, or Uruguay...."

Left unanswered is whether it would work in a hotel (or motel) in another city (or down the street)? At least some of the femtocell GPS solutions would allow plugging into the hotel broadband router, and just rule out the Laos, Kenya, or Uruguay solutions.

Re a WiFi rather than Ethernet connection, no clue, haven't run across that issue before. In other words, could you connect at your home via WiFi rather than an Ethernet connection?
    01-19-09 10:37 AM
    I use the Asus WL-330gE on occasion, which is a portable access point/bridge, therefore it could be configured in a hotel/cafe;

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    01-19-09 12:04 PM
    I use the Asus WL-330gE on occasion, which is a portable access point/bridge, therefore it could be configured in a hotel/cafe...
    That makes sense. Why would VZW care where you are using the femtocell as long as you were within its service area?

Not to go OT, but I wasn't previously aware of the Asus WL-330gE. Interesting device. I take it you are pleased with it?
    01-19-09 12:24 PM
    I got excited for a minute...that asus device does nothing for non-wifi phones, but seems useful in other situations.
    01-19-09 04:43 PM
    Left unanswered is whether it would work in a hotel (or motel) in another city (or down the street)? At least some of the femtocell GPS solutions would allow plugging into the hotel broadband router, and just rule out the Laos, Kenya, or Uruguay solutions.
    why does it matter if it works in a hotel. i don't think this allows for the free home calls like tmobiles.. tmo's uses wifi, this still uses the regular frequencies, just routed over the internet.
    01-19-09 05:46 PM
    UMA sounds better to me in some ways if the calls made from it are free. i mean you are taking the strain off the towers completely using this device, so why should you pay yhe same minute rates?

does uma allow you to use any wireless router? that would be cool.
    01-19-09 06:45 PM
    why does it matter if it works in a hotel. i don't think this allows for the free home calls like tmobiles.. tmo's uses wifi, this still uses the regular frequencies, just routed over the internet.
    Some of the hotels I've been in are in non-urban areas where the cell phone reception may be poor or non-existent.
    01-19-09 07:01 PM
    I'm not sure about using this device in hotels or in other public places. I wouldn't really see the point unless the hotel owners are trying to cater specifically to VZW customers.

This device is specifically to be used as a in-home network extender. Coming from tech support, I can tell you that it's difficult to troubleshoot coverage/signal issues inside of structures (your residence). Too many times, I will get complaints about not being able to use inside of medical buildings such as hotels and nursing homes...but for obvious reasons, we can not do anything about this.

I've come across issues that our signal was being impeded due to UVA tint on customer's windows. Sounds crazy, but I read the trouble tickets by the network technicians.

If you live in areas where you are at the edge of the VZW footprint and get 1 to no bars of signal inside or home and have constant dropped calls, this device would be for you. The price may seem high for this device, but perhaps eliminating your home phone and using your wireless as your primary will help recoup the cost of the hardware in a few months.
    01-19-09 07:23 PM
    Gotta HAVE service to GET service...
    If you have a weak 1x signal, your NOT getting EVDO with this plugged in...
    01-19-09 07:59 PM
    Gotta HAVE service to GET service....
    Not sure if this is true for femtocell, as opposed to zBoost and the other extenders.

...This device is specifically to be used as a in-home network extender. Coming from tech support, I can tell you that it's difficult to troubleshoot coverage/signal issues inside of structures (your residence)....If you live in areas where you are at the edge of the VZW footprint and get 1 to no bars of signal inside or home and have constant dropped calls, this device would be for you. ....
    I'm sure the structure doesn't help, but even outside the front door or on my driveway, where it is relatively open, the signal is weak. Being in the hills, not surprising, but this is why the femtocell solution is of interest.
    01-19-09 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD