The only real issue I have with this phone is that people cannot understand me when I am talking to them from my home. To them, my voice sounds deep and muddy. I get exactly 3 bars. If I use my hands-free device, I sound fine. I don't think it's an issue of reception.

Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust the mic?
    11-27-08 08:09 AM
    Didnt have any problem yet with phoning from home or anywhere else.
    11-27-08 08:19 AM
    I had the same problem. I couldn't understand what people were saying and they said they could barely understand me. Got it fixed, you might want to try this. Go to options, mobile network, and look at the network technology tab, mine was set on global. It should be set to 1XEV. I had to reprogram it after that by dialing *228. After that calls are crystal clear. Hope this helps
    Last edited by tydfan; 11-27-08 at 09:36 AM.
    11-27-08 09:31 AM
    Glad you brought that up. I am having the exact same issue with my Storm. (Previous phone was the Motorola Razr.) The people on the other end tell me they have a hard time hearing me. Sound like too much bass in my voice and hard to hear. May go to the Verizon store Friday and try their demo unit to see if there is any difference.

I use this as a phone alot and voice quality is a big deal for me.
    11-27-08 09:48 AM
    as it should be, i the person on the other end sound garbled to me on alot of my calls but im sure it doesnt help that im in a metal shack either. welcome to crackberry george831
    11-27-08 09:58 AM
    This is the only real problem that would make me consider returning mine. I actually hadn't seen much here until this post and was going to post the same issue. Call quality is paramount. I took mine back to the store and the rep wasn't real helpful. He said audio quality can be addressed in firmware. Not sure, I am old audio guy and think about audio more in analog terms.

I would love to hear more from others about the audio quality. I have found it as described here but also distorted and the speaker phone is real tinny compared to my 8830 but that isn't a deal breaker for me. If others can't hear me though, that will be and I have been getting those types of complaints.

Other than that, the other little issues I have experienced I know can be addressed through firmware. I do enjoy the phone.
    11-27-08 10:07 AM
    I had the same problem. I couldn't understand what people were saying and they said they could barely understand me. Got it fixed, you might want to try this. Go to options, mobile network, and look at the network technology tab, mine was set on global. It should be set to 1XEV. I had to reprogram it after that by dialing *228. After that calls are crystal clear. Hope this helps
    Thanks Tydfan. I followed your advice exactly. I do think it helped quite a bit. Still not quite as clear as I would like, though. Hopefully, a firmware update might fix this.
    Last edited by yoinks; 11-27-08 at 10:21 AM.
    11-27-08 10:09 AM
    I just tried your suggestion and for me it did not make any difference. I would think that if everyone had this voice quality issue, then we would hear alot more on this. Maybe it's just a few of us. Anyway, other ideas welcome but I may go back Friday and try a demo unit to see if there is any diff
    11-27-08 10:24 AM
    I tried the demo unit last night when I stopped by the store. I didn't see a difference so I wasn't real hopeful when the rep finally called me up. I just tried the above suggestion too but being I am not working with customers today, I won't be on the phone much.

I will note that the demo unit at the store had the same base firmware, .65 but not the .82 Platform. It was older on the display unit.
    11-27-08 10:35 AM
    For those who experienced voice quality issues on outgoing calls, try this. It may be all in the way your holding your Storm. I could not believe it till I actually tried it!!

Try holding the Storm in your hand with your palm positioned just below the hole where the microphone is located. When you speak your voice bounces off your palm and into the microphone. What a difference!!! I was holding the phone away from my palm and the voice quality becomes worse. (More muffled with bass.)

Try it and let me know what you think.
    12-01-08 09:54 AM
    Where? What microphone?

Oh, and the Global to 1xEV switch helps MY hearing the calls. Now, if we can just figure out how to get the speaker to be a bit louder/clearer, we'll be all set.
    12-01-08 10:04 AM
    your phone microphone is in that little hole at the base of the Storm, just below your "green phone" button.
    12-01-08 10:16 AM
    same issue
    12-01-08 10:19 AM
    No hole there...maybe that's the problem. lol
    12-01-08 10:45 AM
    I am having the same call quality issues. When I speak the other person has trouble hearing me clearly and I have the same issues understanding people on the other end. All of the sounds are deep and almost nasal sounding. People ask me if I am sick. haha. I had a palm treo before and loved the voice quality so this issue with the storm is troublesome. I would take it back just based on this issue. I am not sure if I should return the phone and try another since I do not see this as a popular issue on here. maybe we just got defective models??? other people that i know have the storm says there phone quality is great...if the phone quality was better this phone would be almost perfect....
    12-11-08 06:38 AM
    I don't see how turning off global would do anything but disable the GSM radio..............
    12-11-08 07:02 AM
    Im having a problem HEARING other people on the line too?

and i never had so many people say "what?" to me since the days of my analog star tac
    12-11-08 07:53 AM
    Add me to the list. I haven't had anyone complaining about hearing me but I find it very difficult to hear them without using the speaker option. It is clear and loud enough on the speaker but you shouldn't have to use it all of the time. I don't notice an audio quality problem when not on the speaker....just a lack of volume and I have default settings at the max.
    12-11-08 08:12 AM
    I just tried switching to 1XEV, I'll let you know later how it works...
    12-11-08 08:18 AM
    I set my phone to 1XEX and it seems to be a little better. The person on the other end of the phone said I sounded clear as well.
    12-11-08 08:40 AM
    I am having the same issue. It is especially present when i hold the phone to my ear with my shoulder. It sounds like im holding holding something over my mouth and talking.
    12-11-08 12:34 PM
    same here! 2 different people have asked me if I was sick due to this "muffling" of my voice through the phone.

We need to fix this
    12-11-08 12:39 PM
    I haven't had any issues with what I say, but, I am having issues, when I am using the phone normally to my head, people sound all "muddy" and underwater-ish. It is sometimes to the point that I just say I will call them back later.
    12-11-08 12:41 PM
    how bout RIM just turns up treble setting on the firmware so it doesn't sound so muddy.

who knows how they'll fix the way the microphone picks up our voices tho :\
    12-11-08 12:44 PM
    From my earlier post. It really does matter how you hold the phone. Try calling someone and test it

For those who experienced voice quality issues on outgoing calls, try this. It may be all in the way your holding your Storm. I could not believe it till I actually tried it!!

Try holding the Storm in your hand with your palm positioned just below the hole where the microphone is located. When you speak your voice bounces off your palm and into the microphone. What a difference!!! I was holding the phone away from my palm and the voice quality becomes worse. (More muffled with bass.)

Try it and let me know what you think.
    12-11-08 07:53 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD