Hello all, I have a 4 day old BlackBerry Storm 9530 and so far I love it. But I have an issue with the voice dialing and am wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if there is a fix.

When I activate voice commands everything works from the bluetooth, but about 50% of the time when I use voice commands to call someone, I will get to the point where the phone and I confirm the selection(name) to call and it will say(and show on the BlackBerry screen) for example: "Susan Home Calling..." And the blackberry will stay on that screen, not connecting to anyone if I press any key it will bring me right back to the "home" screen on the BB, no making any calls.

Also, I am noticing some dust specs under the top left corner of my touchscreen, I know its underneath the screen because I can tell, and I am very OCD about wiping off my screen and keeping my phone immaculately clean..

I am somewhat saddened by the fact that such a well known and highly respected device doesn't in fact have an 'airtight' screen, and lets dust underneath, especially after only four days, in a clean house and never even in a pocket..

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
    03-05-10 06:55 PM
    Anyone heard of this???
    03-06-10 03:32 AM
    I don't know if it's the same but my old touch screen ipod always came with dust underneath
    & I am the OCD type as well so It bothered me alot.
    I took it back to the place & They laughed at me like I was some kind of freak.

Anyways, You could try taking back to the place you bought it at?
    03-06-10 03:46 AM
    Thanks for the input lovemythemes

I got it from verizon.com and the customer service for their sales site is extremely uneducated and in my opinion, they are very rude. We had some ordering issues when getting the phones and they just kept transferring me to someone else and making me explain the whole d*mn story to each person and no one wanted to help, only blame it on the previous rep, so I don't think Verizon would give me the time of day if I were to call to complain about dust underneath a touchscreen... they would probably think I'm a freak..

Anyways, I guess I shouldn't be to worried about it as the phone was free but it still bugs me...

About the voice dialing problem.. Anyone have anything???? Thanks!
    03-06-10 05:37 PM
    Both are known issues with the S1. Do a search around here and you'll find a bazillion threads discussing both the issues. Dust is something you cannot control..either you have it or you don't (mine did, hated that and returned it for another). I also had the Voice Dialing problem...I seem to recall that the latest, official OS (can't even recall what version that was, but it was the latest VZW had) resolved the issue.

If you just got it from VZW, you have 30 days to return it. There certainly should not be dust under the screen of a new (or even a refurb) unit.
    03-06-10 06:00 PM
    If I do decide to return it, how do I reset the device? Like remove all the email info, photos, music, apps, etc.. etc.. that I have added?

Thanks
    03-06-10 06:39 PM
    Try going to options -> Voice Dialing -> adapt voice

and the dust is the only problem I've had with my launch day storm. After a while when it starts to get bad you can CAREFULLY pry at the top of the touchscreen but being careful of the ribbon cable at the bottom of the screen. do a search PLENTY of threads on both problems

For you ? on wiping the device Options->Security Options ->Security Wipe
    Then select all, Type "blackberry" then hit the wipe button
    Last edited by altesean; 03-06-10 at 07:03 PM.
    03-06-10 07:00 PM
    Yep, I should have added that bit about Voice Training..it's a pain (have a paper and pencil handy for when she says "Now, say 5, 8, 5, 7, 9, 3, 2, 0" as if you're supposed to REMEMBER that? lol. It happens a couple of times, so be ready. As I recall, it helped some, but it never was as good as it was (oddly enough) with an earlier, OS.

As for prying up the screen to remove dust...good luck and remember, it may void your warranty. I for one would NOT do that on a 4 day old device...no way should you have to deal with something like that on a newly shipped unit. Return it. The Security Wipe mentioned removes all data (your choice to wipe just the phone, just the media card or both). Your replacement won't have the memory card, so no need to wipe that, you put your original in the replacement. Do a backup first, so you have all your important stuff to move to the new phone. Heck, just get an S2 and you'll have the benefits of that!

Try going to options -> Voice Dialing -> adapt voice

and the dust is the only problem I've had with my launch day storm. After a while when it starts to get bad you can CAREFULLY pry at the top of the touchscreen but being careful of the ribbon cable at the bottom of the screen. do a search PLENTY of threads on both problems

03-06-10 07:51 PM
    I've adapted my voice but I think the problem was with my older bluetooth headset.

I have decided to return the phone for another that doesn't have any dust under screen, and VZW Customer Care said I can return it to them in the FedEx package they came in, OR I can take it into a Verizon store and they will exchange it for me... You don't think they will turn me away and think i'm a freak because of dust under the screen? I hope not, as you said, it was a BRAND NEW, NEWLY SHIPPED UNIT and having dust under the screen in at delivery is unacceptable.

Furthermore, I want a new one because recently when it is "Locked" a ghost will touch the screen and press "Emergency" and dial 911, I learned this when I recieved a call from 911 stating that there have been several 911 hangups from this line. HOW EMBARASSING!

Do you think that the Verizon store will switch me out? I ask because I am weary of what VZW Cust Care tells me.

Thanks
    03-07-10 05:15 PM
    I would be surprised if they gave you a new phone due to dust in the store. I have dust in both of the top corners.

I called cs and they noted my account. I went into the store and all they did was blow air in my phone, which did nothing. The girl said, "they all do this."

Let us know what happens.
    03-07-10 05:41 PM
    Rather than ask here, simply go to your store and see what happens...each store/rep is different. Personally, I see no reason why, in under 30 days, they'd give you any grief over an exchange. Having dust under the screen on a brand new unit is unacceptable, regardless of what they tell you. If there's dust now, what's it going to be like six months from now? Obviously, there's a leak in the seal.

That being said, as I mentioned before, dust was a primary reason for my exchanging my S1, though I had a secondary issue that made calls impossible (that was fixed when I did the wipe to send it back, but it was too late by then, already had the replacement). Still, my dust issue got progressively worse. A primary reason for my selecting the Storm over a different model was the screen real estate. I'm a professional photographer. When I first saw an iPhone, I loved how well it displayed photos, perfect for me showing a potential client, samples of my work on the spot. Of course, the problem was, I wasn't impressed by the iPhone and especially unimpressed with ATT, so I had to wait.

The day that I showed a client some photos on my phone and he was moving his head back and forth as if trying to dodge something ("what's behind that golf ball sized clump?") told me it was time to replace the phone. It is a known issue on Storm 1s, though some state they never had a problem with dust. Get a new one and stop agonizing over it.
    03-07-10 05:48 PM

I'm returning the phone to a VZW store tomorrow - Will the above mentioned "wipe" return it to it's in box state when it arrived? ready for verizon activation process to begin? (Just asking incase they end up turning me away & I have to swallow the device for 2 years)

---
    03-07-10 06:04 PM
    Chris: With all due respect, you're making a mountain out of a molehill....seriously. Do the wipe, put it back in the box and take it back. Done, fini, completo, you get a replacement phone and that's it.

I'm returning the phone to a VZW store tomorrow - Will the above mentioned "wipe" return it to it's in box state when it arrived? ready for verizon activation process to begin? (Just asking incase they end up turning me away & I have to swallow the device for 2 years)

---
    03-07-10 06:41 PM
    I would be surprised if they gave you a new phone due to dust in the store. I have dust in both of the top corners.

I called cs and they noted my account. I went into the store and all they did was blow air in my phone, which did nothing. The girl said, "they all do this."

Let us know what happens.
    They replaced it no questions asked.

Energy - thanks for the much needed advice.. My wife was also telling me that I'm making a big deal out of nothing(the dust under the screen & worrying about taking it back)

I did the wipe, took it back to a store and they didn't give me an ounce of grief, let alone even question me on the issues. They saw my delivery receipt, and noticed that it was only a week since delivery and they gave me a new storm, with an immaculate screen by the way.

Thanks for help..

Furthermore,

Now that I have a new device, do I need to re-register my MEID with CrackBerry?

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    03-08-10 05:01 PM
    If you've purchased any apps through the Crackberry App store, then you need to re-register your PIN (JUST the PIN) in your account so you can resend your apps and they'll work. Your VZW rep should have also registered your new PIN with the Blackberry/VZW email account so you can receive emails. That's all there is to it.

They replaced it no questions asked.

Energy - thanks for the much needed advice.. My wife was also telling me that I'm making a big deal out of nothing(the dust under the screen & worrying about taking it back)

I did the wipe, took it back to a store and they didn't give me an ounce of grief, let alone even question me on the issues. They saw my delivery receipt, and noticed that it was only a week since delivery and they gave me a new storm, with an immaculate screen by the way.

Thanks for help..

Furthermore,

Now that I have a new device, do I need to re-register my MEID with CrackBerry?

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    03-08-10 05:41 PM
    Done, thanks for the help.

Just a bit of info... I thought that the Storms were made only in Mexico and Canada. The one I had originally was from Mexico, and I was hoping to get a Canadian one, but my new one(the handheld) ended up being made in Hungary ??

-Chris
    Last edited by ChrisMN; 03-08-10 at 06:25 PM.
    03-08-10 06:22 PM
    I'm not really sure if the place of manufacturing makes a big difference. I think the batch of phones is most important.

Btw, i just got a swap unit for my Storm due to dust accumulating between the LCD and the glass. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    03-08-10 11:02 PM
    Yep, my first Storm 1 was Hungary. My second one was Canada. My S2 is Mexico and I am getting a replacement for that (sticking key issue) delivered tomorrow, so we'll see where that one is from. There is no data (that I'm aware of, though I'm sure RIM has their own data) to support that any particular country has a statistically higher performance rate. My current S2 is very well made (in spite of the sticky key) and had no other complaints about it.

BTW, I've read where they're made in other countries as well, but those devices are built exclusively for overseas markets.

Done, thanks for the help.

Just a bit of info... I thought that the Storms were made only in Mexico and Canada. The one I had originally was from Mexico, and I was hoping to get a Canadian one, but my new one(the handheld) ended up being made in Hungary ??

-Chris
    03-08-10 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD