Just for you people to know. Was doing a check on my antivirus (eScan) performance performance in my desktop, and foun that my Storm which was connected via the usb cable had been infected with a trojan called autorun.
    Unfortunately the eScan can't disinfect it so will have to wait til i get home and usa my Norton.
    Has anybody had the same experience?
    10-13-09 01:36 PM
    ......wut.....

an autorun file?

what apps do you have installed? i know slacker has an autorun for the slacker update program
    10-13-09 01:39 PM
    facebook, google maps, berry labyrinth and storm level pro. That's it.
    10-13-09 01:52 PM
    Eh. My guess is a false alarm. Further, I doubt the virus scanner can scan anything outside of media memory and media card, so the app memory isn't the culprit.
    10-13-09 01:55 PM
    Did a google search. There is a virus called autorun but it's a Windows platform virus. As to how or if your phone could transfer the virus I have no idea.
    10-13-09 01:58 PM
    I don't think it's active inside my storm, since it's a worm, it would try to go out in the emails. But it would certainly try to infect another computer if and when i connect.
    10-13-09 01:59 PM
    Good luck! Hope its a false alrm
    10-13-09 03:24 PM
    If you goto My Computer with a program disc inside CD/DVD drive, right click, open then look at the files that are there. You will notice an Autorun file, typically a notepad document, containing information for program autorun. If your scanner has picked this up, it is to do with your PC side of things and not your BB. If it has found this on your BB, then you should be asking yourself why it is there, what have you put on. Autorun files are for windows not BBOS's. Have you used your media card as mass storage and put a program on there or summat?
    10-13-09 03:39 PM
    Did it say if it was system memory or SD card memory? Mine has an autorun.inf file in the root of the SD card, which tells it to launch a slacker sync exe file, also in the root of the SD card. I deleted slacker several months ago, so I just whacked the autorun.inf and the .exe

See what's in the autorun.inf file, and if it is pointing to something that you don't recognize, then delete the .inf file and whatever it is trying to run. It's possible hooking the storm up to an infected computer might have put a malicious autorun on the memory (perhaps in mass storage mode) and while it won't affect the storm, it will affect vulnerrable PCs you connect the storm to.

Also, in Windows, there is a registry edit to keep all drives from executing autoruns, that is supposed to prevent you from infecting a PC by connecting a device with a malicious autorun on it. Use regedit, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer, change the "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" key value to hex 91

And figure out which computer you connected the phone to that was infected, so that computer can also be disinfected. If your PC is now infected, be sure to check any other USB storage devices, drives, etc you may have used on that PC.

These aren't storm things, just things for any removable USB memory devices that get mounted as drives by windows
    10-13-09 03:58 PM
    Autorun viruses are rampant. These attach to the autorun files in various writable drives such as portable USB data drives. When a portable usb drive is attached to a computer, Windows scans it and runs the autorun program using the informationin the autorun file to tell it what to do (i.e. what program to upen it with, whether to start that program automatically, etc.) An infected computer will also then infect the autorun info on the portable drive. An infected USB Drive will infect the computer that runs it's autorun file. I have turned OFF autorun for all the drive letters above D. This means that I have to go to My Computer and manually open the disk and run what I want, but it keeps my computer form getting infected by infected USB drives. Use TweakUI to do this with WinXP. I also run scan on all files on my USB devices if they have been connected to another computer before opening anything on my computer.
    I don't now how BBs handle the whole autorun thing, or if they can be infected, but I would be careful about what computer I hook them to and I would definitely turn off auto run on any computer you use it on.
    10-13-09 04:05 PM
    Don't overreact.

An autorun.inf file is a set of Windows instructions, usually on a removable drive, that tell Windows what to do when the drive is accessed.

Ever put a CD in your computer and watch Setup launch? That's an autorun.inf file at work, automatically running the disc's Setup program. Millions of people rely on such automatic actions every day.

Autorun files work on CDs, DVDs, flash drives, floppy drives, just about any removable media. Most are perfectly harmless. Just because they CAN launch malicious code doesn't mean they will. But, because the main purpose of an autorun is to launch other code, many of today's antivirus programs will flag them as evil.

As others have said, the autorun will not affect your Berry, but it's possible that it can affect your PC. The autorun on your BB media card is telling Windows to do something when you connect your phone to your computer. Your best bet to see what it's saying is to open the autorun.inf file in Notepad or another text editor and check its contents. Launched programs will have the line "open=<programname>." If you don't recognize the target program, search the 'Net for information about it.
    10-13-09 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD