So I was in Europe using my verizon storm. Unfortunately I ended up getting a virus on my computer which transferred to my phone and camera, which are have flash devices. The virus basically hides all of your folders on the card, and creates new files with the same names as the folders, but ending in .exe.

I used a AVG to remove all the viruses. However, the folders are still hidden and can only be accessed when I view the files in "explore" mode through the media player. I then click "show hidden" and I can select all my pictures/music manually.

I am running .113 and want to upgrade to possibly .148 or .151, however I am not sure if I should do a clean install or just do an upgrade. The benefits of an upgrade would be that I do not have to redownload ALL of the applications that I use and reconfigure all the settings. I am a heavy storm user and it would be a PITA, taking several hours to do everything.

I want to know if there is another way to take care of this virus. I'm a bit stuck, any ideas?
    07-21-09 01:45 PM
    Sounds like your best and safest bet would be to backup (and VERIFY the backup) all the files/pictures off of your phone.

I would then use Desktop Manager to backup only what you need. (Contact List, Password Keeper, etc)

You will also want to do a full format of any memory cards on both the camera and the phone. Make sure there are no autorun.ini files anywhere on them.

And, just because I'm paranoid, I would use a different PC that is fully up to date with AVG/AVAST to scan and re-scan those flash drives. Also make sure your PC is clean before plugging back into them.

From personal experience and from everything I've seen here on CB, I wouldn't recommend doing an "upgrade", especially if the phone is having problems. I know yours isn't, but it is infected...
    07-21-09 01:58 PM
    You could try deleting your bb thumbs dat. If you have bb filescout just go to system then samples and delete the bb thumbs dat from music or ringtones or wherever you can't see your files then do a battery pull and they should show back up. To do the same with your memory card just go to sd card blackberry and delete bb thumbs dat from those files also.
    Last edited by Damn_Smooth; 07-21-09 at 02:23 PM.
    07-21-09 01:58 PM
    if you have an earlier backup that you can live with, wipe the phone completely with JL_CMDR or something like that, make sure that you also format the memory card and then restore from your backup...that should pretty much take care of the virus...
    07-21-09 02:11 PM
    I'm w/Damn_Smooth on this.
    07-21-09 02:39 PM
    Make sure you have all the virus, malware, and spyware junk of your computer. I will bet AVG didn't find everything. Download Malwarebytes and do a scan before you plug your phone back in your computer.

It says Buy it now for $24.95 but you don't need to buy it unless you want "real time protection"(not needed), Just click on "download now"

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
    07-21-09 02:56 PM
    I will do a wipe with JLM Cdr and if your office has any antivirus apps, i will run a scan on it just to be sure.
    07-21-09 02:59 PM
    I fixed it!

I did not do a wipe. I downloaded BBFile Scout and deleted all the bb thumbs dat files. However, this was not the solution, only a part of the troubleshooting process.

BBFileScout allowed me to view the properties of the folders and uncheck the "hidden file" field, which was originally checked on all the affected folders. I was not able to do this in the explore mode with the media app that the storm comes with.

After unchecking all the affected files, i then selected each file/folder individually and clicked "store 'x' on Stack" -- Which I'm not sure what this exactly does, I am assuming "save".

I rebooted my phone for the second time and all my pictures, music, and videos are now showing again in the media app.

Time to do an upgrade right after I back everything up.

Thanks for the help!
    07-21-09 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD