I set it for internal memory and it still froze up.
    I did find that when it does freeze up, hitting the back button instead of the pause button keeps it from staying frozen. If I hit the pause button it would just stay frozen until I pulled the battery or it would just eventually reboot itself after a couple of minutes. Hitting the back button instead just gives some error massage about saving the file after a few seconds but at least it wouldn't have to be rebooted.
    THANK YOU. I just tried this during a "freeze" and it worked! This def makes the problem more bearable to me.

EDIT: So I just had 2 recordings "freeze" on me and I hit the back button and not only did it not require a battery pull, but the recordings were actually saved and playable! THIS IS GREAT. So hilarious that it never donned on me to press anything other than the pause button on the screen when this would happen. Anyways I really appreciate everyone in this community sharing their techniques and experiences. It really helps in situations like these
    Last edited by Foodshooter; 12-09-08 at 01:12 AM.
    12-09-08 12:52 AM
    i haven't he either.. my problem is like some of the other people said when i go to the play back all it says is error video could not be stored>... i don't know what to do I'm think about taking it back i mean shouldn't a phone this smart be able to save to the mem card just fine?

.. i just tried a few more times and i found that a longer video say about 1.45 was fine and played.. i tried a few at 10 and 20 seconds and had the same problems?? I'm not sure what to do.
    Last edited by Alexfriedmann; 12-09-08 at 01:08 AM.
    12-09-08 01:06 AM
    With .75 I am unable to save or play my videos.

So...I downgraded to .65 and I am able to record and save as long as they are under 1 min, otherwise, brain freeze and battery pull.

Lame

RIM and Verizon, in the future work out 90% of the bugs before you ship, we all love being the lab rats, not........ I work for a living and rely on my communication device, and this is not reliable.

My .00065 cents << used to be .02 cents
    Last edited by bikoman; 12-10-08 at 05:36 PM.
    12-10-08 05:31 PM
    I have a quick question and didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask it here. When I first got the storm I was able to video record in a full screen display like when u take pictures, but now when I switch to video record, the display goes from the full screen to a smaller aspect ratio. I can view the videos in full screen when I watch them but I want to be able to see a full screen when I am actually recording, any ideas how?
    12-10-08 05:43 PM
    I have the same issues with the video camera. If it's a memory buffer issue has anyone tried it on a lower resolution?
    12-10-08 05:49 PM
    MMS video records just fine for me.

MMS playback works.
    Last edited by davidmoore; 12-10-08 at 05:55 PM.
    12-10-08 05:52 PM
    I'm also having this problem whenever I record something I tried playing it back it says its the wrong format.
    12-10-08 10:26 PM
    I received my replacement phone today. For those interested - The older one had the product number that starts with 19 and was made in Canada. The replacement I just got has the product number that starts with 21 and is made in Mexico.

It came in a plain brown box. No battery or MicroSD. It came with .65 software installed. I did three videos in a row of 5 minutes length each with the .65 software with NO freezing. twice on the device memory and once on the MicroSD. Saved and played back just fine.

Next I Upgraded to Verizon's .75 software. First and third 5-minute video recorded and saved without a problem. Second video froze at about 2:15. I hit the back button - NOT THE PAUSE BUTTON - and it saved and played fine. All three recorded to the MicroSD.

So far this seems WAY better then my previous Storm. It even had a slightly better click at the bottom of the screen but the other one wasn't bad at all. Just not as much of a pronounced click is all. Even the buttons at the bottom are more flush with the face of the unit. The older one had the two center buttons slightly higher than the two side ones. Again, no big deal but just something I noticed.

I would recommend sending your phone in if you can't video without freezing it up. You shouldn't have to wait for a software update! They put out a phone in such a half-assed manner that they at least owe you a functioning phone! A little slow is tolerable but at least it should be fully functional!
    12-10-08 10:42 PM
    For what its worth, I called VZ today to tell them about some of the issues I'm having including the video camera. The Tech Support guy wanted me to do I wipe. Ok no biggie. Wouldn't you know it, after the wipe the camera worked like a charm 3 or 4 times in a row for videos over a minute long. However, when I loaded the backup I made before the wipe I notice that 3 programs I had previously installed were no longer there. So I reloaded Opera mini, Google Maps and Google Sync. Yep....right after those 3 were re-installed the camera started freezing up again.

Not sure if this a chance happening, or if loading that software is related, but it seems like too much of a coincidence. I didnt have much time to keep experimenting to see if I could really point to loading those apps as a cause, but I'll play around with it more tomorrow and see.
    12-11-08 12:32 AM
    For me, 1 minute videos would have been too short for the problem to appear. most freezing happened somewhere between 2 and 4 minutes of videoing.
    I Did the JL_cmder wipe also and reinstalled .65 on my first phone and problem never went away. All software versions had the same result for me.

The only program that I have in your "suspect" list is the google maps. The only thing different now with this new phone is the phone itself. Wonder if it's a hardware problem more than a software one.
    12-11-08 12:51 AM
    Well I originally thought the myspace app was causing this. I uninstalled it and stripped almost all apps except for AIM and gtalk & of coarse it still happened. I don't think its hardware related it's just some weird *** bug with the display.

Crashberry you said you did have 1 "freeze" on your new phone. How many vids have you taken total?

My vid freezes about 25% of the time. Its one from Canada
    12-11-08 02:00 AM
    first time posting, first time blackberry
    big hello from england, site v useful, thanks to all contributors

loving the bb generally but gutted about the awful video camera experience. wanted lots of vids of my kids but not possible
    have upgraded to latest official firmware (.78) on my 9500 but can't record more than a minute, and most of the time i get a major crash - although i'll try out the back button tip - cheers!

i understand about this being the first storm incarnation, and about software updates, but really, this is poor. big shame cos i was becoming a real convert
    12-11-08 09:28 AM
    I hadn't tried my video camera until I ran across this thread, so I tried a couple of short videos. They were either short (10 secs) or btw 30 secs and a minute. The phone said they weren't being stored (with either media card or internal memory chosen), but when I went to the media and clicked on videos, there they were. However, only one of four played back, the others said they were stored in an unknown format. How can that be when the camera chose the #@$%* format in the first place?

This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it sure seems there are a lot of little glitches with this thing.

With the size and scope of Crackberry.com, is there a way for these near-universal problems to be conveyed to Verizon en masse instead of each of us clogging the stores and tech support individually (sort of a class action deal)? Just a thought.
    12-11-08 12:50 PM
    O.K., here's a spin on things. After posting the above, I tried again, this time renaming each video immediately, from something like "VID 00006 20081211-1156" (obviously a time and date stamp) to a real name (fish, office, whatever) and it stored and played back flawlessly. Weird.
    12-11-08 12:57 PM
    I have been getting the "Unsupported format" errors as well, and hoped renaming the file would work. Unfortunately I wasn't even able to get to that point because after taking the video, I would press the green file (next to red X button) and get that error.

But I tried doing this: take vid, and when done, press the BB return key to go to Home screen. Then I entered Media--> Videos, and there was the file, which played fine.

I did that a couple of times with short (10 secs) vids and all worked fine. Tried another vid, used the green file, was able to rename without error, and finally, access and watch vid in the Media Videos section.
    12-11-08 01:33 PM
    Same problem, and I am getting freezes, and the unsupported media error. I had gotten a nice video of my 11 month old boy walking.. This is my first BB, and so far, I am really dissapointed.
    12-11-08 01:43 PM
    For those who are receiving the "media being played is an unsupported format, see the following support page: Playing a video on the BlackBerry Storm smartphone results in the error message media being played is an unsupported format
    12-11-08 01:52 PM
    For those who are receiving the "media being played is an unsupported format, see the following support page: Playing a video on the BlackBerry Storm smartphone results in the error message media being played is an unsupported format
    thank you, this is actually really helpful. and worked.
    hopefully it gets a fix quick.
    12-11-08 02:10 PM
    Well I originally thought the myspace app was causing this. I uninstalled it and stripped almost all apps except for AIM and gtalk & of coarse it still happened. I don't think its hardware related it's just some weird *** bug with the display.

Crashberry you said you did have 1 "freeze" on your new phone. How many vids have you taken total?

My vid freezes about 25% of the time. Its one from Canada
    I did a total of 6 videos. Only one froze but after hitting the back button, it did save ok and I was able to play the video. The other 5 videos were 5 minutes in length each.
    12-11-08 10:41 PM
    Thank you for finding and posting this. I just took about a 2min 30 sec vid and tried the pause-menu-menu workaround and it seemed to work great. It's also nice to know that RIM is well aware of the problem, so this will definately be on the future software-fix list.
    12-11-08 11:12 PM
    Started using the video camera feature today, and ran into the same problem everyone posted here about.

Seems that video recording will freeze after some random period, from seconds to a couple minutes. Screen stays frozen until a battery pull or after the phone decides to reboot itself.

When I go back to try and find the video I recorded, I see a file. Trying to play it gives the error others have reported: unsupported file. BUT INTERESTINGLY, if you click on properties of this video file, it is 0 bytes long.

So, the camera failed to even save my video to memory. Has happened both when I tried to record on the microSD, as well as on device memory.

Any fixes yet?
    01-08-09 05:51 PM
    Ok, guys, this is happening to all of us. Someone needs to get the link to the complaint department. If they get a few thousand e-mails and some youtube bad publicity, things will change really fast. This is crazy to have such a great phone and yet it freezes or cannot even do video properly!

-Crow
    01-22-09 07:28 PM
    Well the leaked firmwares cleared this up for me. It's not an official resolution but I would venture to guess that the next official FW update will clear this issue. Now if they would just release a firmware that would suck the dust out of my phone I would be happy
    01-22-09 07:32 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD