I have compared the installations of 9500-v4.7.0.78_P4.0.0.98 and 9530-v4.7.0.76_P4.0.0.96.

specifically I looked at what is installed in the Java floder.

When I took out all the different language files, I found out that the both installations have the SAME EXACT MODULES with the same execat file size, except of net_rim_bb_Sbinjector_lib.cod (I wonder what does that module do ...)

My take is that the versions are identical !!!

has anyone tried to install the vodafone version on the VZW storm or vice versa ???

I assume that RIM is managing only one CORE OS version for the STROM.
    12-15-08 05:13 AM
    I have compared the installations of 9500-v4.7.0.78_P4.0.0.98 and 9530-v4.7.0.76_P4.0.0.96.

specifically I looked at what is installed in the Java floder.

When I took out all the different language files, I found out that the both installations have the SAME EXACT MODULES with the same execat file size, except of net_rim_bb_Sbinjector_lib.cod (I wonder what does that module do ...)

My take is that the versions are identical !!!

has anyone tried to install the vodafone version on the VZW storm or vice versa ???

I assume that RIM is managing only one CORE OS version for the STROM.

you didn't expect that?

they don't write 2 complete separate OS'

they just change it a bit for the carrier..

This doesn't surprise me at all..

the hardware is almost the same besides for the radio..
    12-15-08 05:41 AM
    my assumption is that they DONT change anything and its just a branding issue. I know for a fact that the 9500 has the CDMA radio disabled in software
    12-15-08 06:46 AM
    Yeah, that is not surprising to me. The big difference between the two releases is what is in the CDMA folder. You can not install the CDMA (.sci) file from Vodafone on the verizon storm.
    12-15-08 07:19 AM
    Could you copy the newer software from the java folder on the vodaphone version into the verizon version?
    I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Any takers?
    12-15-08 07:59 AM
    Could you copy the newer software from the java folder on the vodaphone version into the verizon version?
    I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Any takers?
    This has already been discussed. Basically it will install, but without the newer .SCI file, the platform is not upgraded, and any real changes in the code do not help.
    12-15-08 08:06 AM
    Thanks for the info
    12-15-08 09:30 AM
    my assumption is that they DONT change anything and its just a branding issue. I know for a fact that the 9500 has the CDMA radio disabled in software
    Exactly, like I said in another thread about this, both handsets are the same. The Vodafone even says Qualcomm CDMA 3G on the back of it. The radios are controlled on the low level branding firmware. If you dial #HELP* Send, you can even see the HW (hardware) reported as 9500 and just the model being reported as 9530. This is the dead giveaway.
    12-15-08 09:37 AM
    This has already been discussed. Basically it will install, but without the newer .SCI file, the platform is not upgraded, and any real changes in the code do not help.
    Just so we're all on the same page, the SCI file is the Core OS and the cod files in the JAVA folder are the application side of things, so if the problems with whatever bug someone is experiencing is on the app side of things, it will be fixed.
    12-15-08 09:39 AM
    Just so we're all on the same page, the SCI file is the Core OS and the cod files in the JAVA folder are the application side of things, so if the problems with whatever bug someone is experiencing is on the app side of things, it will be fixed.
    I would of thought that too, however CX said that without the Platform the Java files don't help. This to me does not seem to make sense, if the problem was not in the platform then it should still be resolved. It does make sense if the cod files are using something new in the platform that it will not work.
    12-15-08 09:41 AM
    To piggy-back off of bmtbandit, if you want to be able to upgrade the platform you will have to figure out how the .sci file in a Vonda phone vs a Verizion phone is and what allows one to install THEN you need to hex edit those differences into the .sci. My only concern is that you will disable CDMA...

If I programmed the OS the difference between Vonda phone and Verizon would just be a simple switch to match the OS to hardware so I doubt there is that much that needs to be edited you would just need to compare enough .sci files to make sure you have it narrowed down.
    12-15-08 09:43 AM
    You can't hex edit any of the files on the OS load, be they cod or sci. They are security signed by RIM to keep people from tampering with them. The BB will not let the edited files pass security and be loaded or run. If it was this easy, people would have hacked the isht out of this platform long before now.
    110% correct. Surely people don't think it would be just that easy?? lol. You're not dealing with amateurs here...
    12-15-08 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD