Hi all,

I'm still a noob to Verizon as the Storm is my first Verizon phone. I've been on AT&T way too long...
    Anyway, after I purchased the Storm and went home, the first thing I did was remove the battery to check out how the sim chip is inserted and where the SD card goes. To my surprise, it had a pretty old looking vodafone sim chip in there. From what I've heard, as Verizon is on CDMA, sim chips aren't used.

Is this true fact or does Verizon and Vodafone have some kind of hidden contract with each other? I hope I didn't get a refurb one as I've been using it for almost 2 months now. As far as I can tell the phone was in mint condition when I bought it.

Another discovery was that after I received my invisible guard in the mail and tried to put on the screen protector, I noticed there was already a thin one on top while I almost pulled it off when trying to put it on one corner.
    04-12-09 10:54 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier so they don't use SIM cards. However the Storm is a world phone so the SIM is used when traveling overseas and using Verizons global service on GSM networks. You can unlock your Storm if you want to use GSM carriers in the states such as AT&T or T-Mobile.
    04-12-09 11:01 PM
    Verizon is partially owned by Vodaphone, so you roam on their GSM networks when abroad.
    04-12-09 11:05 PM
    Thanks for the info. I knew the phone was/is a world phone but didn't know Verizon would also be providing the SIM chips (a vodafone for that matter) for overseas use. So the SIM chips are also activated under Verizon and will automatically pick up the signal (if set on GLOBAL)?
    For example, if I'm going to Germany for business, and the phone is set accordingly, I don't have to do anything once I land, unless I want to unlock it and use a prepaid SIM chip from there?
    04-12-09 11:10 PM
    Oh haha, the post from Jaz answered my question. I was typing just as he posted.
    04-12-09 11:11 PM
    Glad I could help! I used Voda when I spent a summer in London, their service is great! If you are planning on using the Storm out of the country, I could still consider calling Verizon before you leave to make sure you have international roaming set up. But other than that, you should be able to boot up the phone and it will lock onto the local Vodaphone (or vodaphone affiliated) GSM network in the area.
    04-12-09 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD