2 Questions
    I want to know if I unlock my phone (Blackberry Unlocking Service)

1. Can I use the Verizon sim card on the storm over seas and will I get charge.
    2. Can I use the same sim card with the unlock storm in usa will I get charge. (gsm AT&T Towers ETc)
    03-21-09 12:45 AM
    If you unlock your phone, you can use local sim cards overseas, you can still use the verizon sim however you would be charged as they would need to activate it in the system and you would need a global package. I don;t beleive you can use the device to connect to other carriers in the states, but I am not 100% sure on that as the phone is quad band.
    03-21-09 12:53 AM
    why cant this verizon sim be put into gsm phones *off topic*
    03-21-09 01:15 AM
    however you would be charged as they would need to activate it in the system and you would need a global package.
    But doesn't that defeats the purpose of unlocking the phone I thought if you unlock your phone you can use any carrier reception that has gsm to save you money on roaming. And why would verizon charge me? So what if I just pick up global or international card for over seas and a local card for USA will I still get charge to activate it?
    03-21-09 02:37 AM
    What?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 02:42 AM
    But doesn't that defeats the purpose of unlocking the phone I thought if you unlock your phone you can use any carrier reception that has gsm to save you money on roaming. And why would verizon charge me? So what if I just pick up global or international card for over seas and a local card for USA will I still get charge to activate it?
    If you unlock the phone, you are able to use any sim card you purchase overseas that will give you a local # for that country. Unlocking the phone and then using the Verizon sim card would be the same thing as never unlocking the phone in the first place.
    03-21-09 09:40 AM
    That sucks I guest I was misinformed I thought that when you unlock your phone and use a sim card you can pick up any reception and use there tower if your out of range and save on roaming but I see it doesn't work like that. thanks
    03-21-09 11:41 AM
    the storm is a quadband phone and can be used with other carriers in the us ( att, tmobile, etc ) however, without a bb data plan on those networks you cant use bb specific features without first paying for it ( as with any carrier )
    03-21-09 11:44 AM
    the storm is a quadband and does work with gsm carriers in the us if it is unlocked. you would need that carrier's sim card with a current phone plan. If you wanted to use your bb's specific features you would also need a bb data plan. I believe there are threads that tell how to activate bb data plans on other networks
    03-21-09 11:50 AM
    sorry about the double post, my bad
    03-21-09 11:51 AM
    after you activate the sim card the bb mesenger is still free no matter where you are.
    03-21-09 11:54 AM
    If you obtain the global package on your verizon plan will the sim card work in a unlocked iphone in the U.S?
    08-29-09 11:20 AM
    consider to use local simcard when overseas, it can avoid high roaming charge, but the phone need to be unlocked.
    08-29-09 01:15 PM
    In the US the GSM radio is different than in Europe when it comes to data. So if you use your Storm here in the US with any other carrier than Verizon you are stuck using EDGE for data which is slow.

However. I think the 9500 can use the 3G data here in the US (not positive).
    08-29-09 01:54 PM
    Ok did further reading. Neither the 9500 or 9530 can run on 3G GSM here in the States.
    08-29-09 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD