So i am heading for a cruise next week and was wondering if i use my phone in puerto rico, will i be charged roaming fees?

thanks in advance
    06-14-09 11:53 AM
    No. I traveled to Puerto Rico last year and it worked as normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 11:58 AM
    worked normal as in didnt get charged extra?
    06-14-09 12:10 PM
    Lots of reps read the forum here so you might get answered but why not call verizon to be sure?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 12:22 PM
    I would call and ask.. its better to throw the global plan on and pay what you have to then get a crazy bill if you don't..

you don't sign a contract or anything for the global plan so you only pay for how long you use it pretty much..
    06-14-09 02:22 PM
    I went to Mexico for 8 days... I switched to the international plan for 9 days and it was 8 bucks for the extra service...
    06-14-09 02:26 PM
    I've never had a need to enable the international plan in Puerto Rico. Most of the island is part of the Nationwide and/or America's choice coverage area. Using my phone in PR has always worked as if I were in the states. Beware, there are some spots in the island that you could end up roaming. Roaming in those areas is .69 a minute.

You said you are on a cruise so you will be in the Old San Juan area (near the port). That entire area is covered.

Check out the following Verizon page:

Calling From Puerto Rico

Under Additional Roaming Details, it states: "Most of Puerto Rico is included in the Nationwide and America’s Choice Coverage Areas. If you roam out of the Nationwide or America’s Choice coverage area, you will be charged $.69 per minute. Please use your device's banner as an indicator of your roaming status. Click here to view the approximate coverage areas."

If you follow the "click here" link, it takes you to the coverage map. Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

Enter zip code 00901 (San Juan, PR) and you will see what the coverage looks like.
    06-14-09 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD