That it's been done before. I went to a local store and they said I needed to show them proof from online or something that it's been replaced under manufacturer's warranty for that and they'll give me a replacement.

How do I do this? Is it on RIM or Verizon's site anywhere? Should I try calling the 1-800 number?
    07-10-09 05:13 PM
    I would just call Verizon and get a replacement through the mail. A lot easier, IMO.
    07-10-09 05:20 PM
    call the 800 number and they might be better and give you the new storm
    07-10-09 05:23 PM
    +1 on the 800 number, they've replaced my 4 phones without a denial yet.
    07-10-09 05:24 PM
    Well I tried about a month ago and the guy said I needed to pay 50 dollars and use my insurance.
    07-10-09 05:37 PM
    thats because they dont want to pay for all of it. its lame.
    07-10-09 05:42 PM
    act angry. ask for a supervisor, and threaten to change services. theyll send you a replacement.
    07-10-09 07:02 PM
    Problem is I work as a 1-800 CS type person and I don't want to do what I hate people doing to me (Being angry and demanding stuff) but I guess I'll have too.
    07-10-09 07:08 PM
    I'd go back to that store and ask for that rep's supervisor or whoever their boss is. Its their job to review the warantee and policies. Just because the replacement has been made for someone else isn't grounds for them to do it again. What If it was an exception? What If they paid? What If there were other issues besides dust?

They are either gonna replace it or they're not. Asking you to provide proof is basically their way of saying "no" without actually saying "no".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 08:47 PM
    If your phone is not working properly and is under warranty or extended warranty they have to replace it for free!
    The discussion is about the warantee coverage for dust inside the screen. my inquiries to vzw at many levels and locations is a general consensus that dust is NOT covered under warantee, but If you can find anything else wrong they'll exchange no problem

07-10-09 09:06 PM
    Could someone explain to me or perhaps show me some visual material on this "Dust under screen"? I really don't see how dust could get under the screen in the first place..
    07-10-09 10:34 PM
    The screen is multiple layers. Most LCD screens are. There's a void space that's sealed (sometimew not very well) where the issue lies. If the seal is bad then dust horsin the gap between the screen and the body of the phone, then in between the layers of the screen.

07-10-09 10:38 PM
    don't know how dust could get under? have you had your storm long?
    07-10-09 10:49 PM
    I just had my Storm replaced Tuesday evening for the same issue. I took it in to the store, showed it to the rep and her reply was "Well thats not right". I had only had it for 31 days at that point. But Verizon replaced it with no trouble at all.
    07-10-09 10:56 PM
    Well I tried about a month ago and the guy said I needed to pay 50 dollars and use my insurance.
    If he said you need to go through insurance... than the phone was water damaged or physically damaged in another way. Telling an pver the phone cs rep may not be enough for them to replace a phone 100% of the time, but as always it depends on who you speak with.

Problem is I work as a 1-800 CS type person and I don't want to do what I hate people doing to me (Being angry and demanding stuff) but I guess I'll have too.
    Much respect sir... much respect. To be honest you are better off going into a store and physically showing them the phone. I have seen phones with dust under the screen that interfered with the use of the phone. However I have also had people come in with one or two specs of dust under the screen and just wanted a brand new one... tough $hit protect your phone next time.

So if the dust is interfering with the phone... count on it being replaced under warranty with no $ put forth on your part. If there is too much dust or it is barely noticeable... vzw will have you shell out the $50 or $80 to asurion for an insurance replacement.
    07-10-09 11:24 PM
    Regarding the dust under screen issue: I called *611 today and, after weaving through the IVR menus, reached a helpful Verizon Wireless Service Representative who, after explaining the dust under screen issue, is sending me a replacement Storm.

The interaction went as follows: I explained that, while this was not an issue that prevented the smartphone from functioning, it was a distraction, particularly for email, where the lighter screen background caused the dust to show as black specs.

I was placed on hold briefly while he checked whether this was an issue that would be covered under warranty. Upon returning, the Rep stated that it was up to me if I would like to have a replacement sent, as they understood that this could be problem. I asked to have the replacement sent as I expected the issue to become worse over time, as the likelihood of replacement from Verizon Wireless decreases over this same time period.

That's it. Good luck.
    07-11-09 03:15 PM
    HAHA. That's how I learned to get my way with things. Workng behind the counter and the phones at call centers, you learn these tricks. Customer Must Be Happy! It's called Retention.
    07-11-09 03:18 PM
    It seems to be hit or miss, if the first person you talk to doesn't want to give you a new one then hang up and try again.

I had my replacement replaced for dust problems and the first CS guy I talked to said that there was nothing they could do for me and that it wasn't covered, he then sent me to the higher level CS and the guy was sending me a new storm before the word "dust" came out of my mouth lol.
    07-11-09 05:32 PM
    It seems to be hit or miss, if the first person you talk to doesn't want to give you a new one then hang up and try again.

I had my replacement replaced for dust problems and the first CS guy I talked to said that there was nothing they could do for me and that it wasn't covered, he then sent me to the higher level CS and the guy was sending me a new storm before the word "dust" came out of my mouth lol.
    "Dialing for YES": The process of calling customer service over and over until you receive the desired response.
    07-11-09 05:50 PM
    i would try talking to another rep, I had the same issue and all I did was take it to the store and they sent me a replacement with no problem free of charge

07-11-09 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD