If I have my phone stolen or I lose it, will Verizon replace my Storm 1 with a Storm 2, using my insurance?
    04-05-10 03:42 PM
    No they will replace it with a refurbished Storm 1.
    04-05-10 03:43 PM
    I thought they don't have those anymore.
    04-05-10 03:44 PM
    If you're interested in upgrading my advice is to not call the phone lost or stolen, but to contact Verizon and see if they may allow you to (you may be close to an upgrade date, start a new 2 years, etc).
    04-05-10 03:48 PM
    And they will charge my wife and me the cost of new phones. Screw that!

Do you know this for a fact or you are speculating?

Anyone else know for sure?
    04-05-10 03:49 PM
    I'm telling you for a fact that they won't replace your Storm 1 with a Storm 2 through insurance, unless you were one of those people who had it replaced multiple times.
    04-05-10 03:54 PM
    We both did, like a year ago. At least three each.
    04-05-10 03:55 PM
    They don't carry new ones. They keep refurb units to replace broken and stolen units. They're not going to give you a newer, better phone because your older, worse one broke.
    04-05-10 03:57 PM
    I was in a Verizon store 2 days ago and they had storm 1 on display to buy with a 2 year contract. I was shocked
    04-05-10 04:00 PM
    If that was possible no one would ever need to buy a new phone...
    Just lose your phone at the end of the two year contract when it is already obsolete.
    04-05-10 04:07 PM
    Precisely... I did pay for the insurance - about $150 after two years. So, can't I get my free phone for the $150 I paid?
    04-05-10 04:09 PM
    Precisely... I did pay for the insurance - about $150 after two years. So, can't I get my free phone for the $150 I paid?
    Really???? Is that how you think insurance works? You are entitled to nothing, stop acting like you are...
    04-05-10 04:27 PM
    That's not how insurance works... With that logic I should get a free car from my insurance every 5-10 years.
    Maybe ill "lose" my car in a year since I am entitled to it. There is a name for this, its called insurance fraud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-10 04:28 PM
    Just to add a side comment, Verizon isn't the insurance provider, Verizon provides warranty service not replacement for lost phones.

And as everyone has said you ain't entitled to anything more than in kind replacement under the insurance policy. You should have done the math before you shelled out the insurance money.

BTW the Storm will have only been out 17 months this month which is only approximately $85 for insurance not $150.
    04-05-10 04:45 PM
    As stated above, the replacement comes from Asurion, not VZW. So, regardless of if VZW replaces the S1 with the S2 or not, you will (more likely than not) get a S2 if you turn in a S1. That's the beauty of the system.

When they send one out, they get another one in and fix it to send back out. It's a 1-for-1 trade, except for the people who "lose" their phones somewhere. But those people are few and far between. It will be a long time before they run out of S1 replacements for you.

As for this "I've paid over $150 in insurance, doesn't that entitle me to a new phone" garbage is just that, garbage. The insurance is there for you to get a replacement phone in the occurrence that something happens to your phone. That money, in no way, puts you closer to a new phone, no matter what way you twist that. This is like if you were to go to auto insurance people and say "I've been paying $200 a month for the last ten years, where the HE|| is my new Camaro!?!?!?!?!" This is way of thinking is just asinine.

And as for trying to scam a new Storm2 out of the insurance people, that is just despicable. You are why they had to increase the insurance rates on their phones. This is just ridiculous. You know that "breaking" or "losing" your phone in an attempt to get a better phone is wrong, but you are asking about this anyway. Threads like this should be instantly deleted by the mods so as to not give other people the idea that this can be done.
    04-05-10 05:11 PM
    My mom's Storm1 croaked the other day (it just wouldn't turn on one morning), and she took it back to the store. Since it was less than a year old, they happily replaced it with another Storm1. Looked like a refurb based on the little cardboard container it came in (when my Storm was replaced under warranty, it came in the same container).

I think that they are selling the Storm1 for $29.99 these days. Not bad, considering that it's almost 1 year and a half old. I wonder if I'll be up for NE2 before they stop selling the Storm.
    04-05-10 05:26 PM
    BTW the Storm will have only been out 17 months this month which is only approximately $85 for insurance not $150.
    Wow you guys have cheap insurance. My warranty is $10 a month. $360 for my entire contract.
    04-05-10 06:03 PM
    Wow you guys have cheap insurance. My warranty is $10 a month. $360 for my entire contract.
    Yeah, they increased it because... get this... people were trying to scam the system for new phones!!! So they decided to up the monthly charge to cover some of their losses. We all lose out and we are all charged more because SOME PEOPLE feel like they are entitled to things they truly aren't.
    04-05-10 07:50 PM
    For what it's worth.. I had TONS of problems w\ my S1... Had it replaced 4 times; 2 online replacements, and 2 in store replacements. The last straw was getting the last replacement, and less than 24hrs later, not being able to dial a phone number because the keypad displayed characters and not numbers, meaning I couldn't dial 911 if I had to, and this was the 2nd time it happened. The last time, it was fresh from VZW, no 3rd party apps or anything. Only think I did was the Ent. Act. Anyways, a month of Fri's later, they got sick of me going in the store to complain, so they upgraded me to the S2. Night and Day people... Night and Day.... Couldn't be happier... And now that .607 is rocking... I am truly addicted to Crack----berry......
    04-06-10 12:04 PM
    Yeah, they increased it because... get this... people were trying to scam the system for new phones!!! So they decided to up the monthly charge to cover some of their losses. We all lose out and we are all charged more because SOME PEOPLE feel like they are entitled to things they truly aren't.
    Oh. This wasn't an increase, just a Canadian warranty thing.
    04-06-10 12:18 PM
    Oh. This wasn't an increase, just a Canadian warranty thing.
    Sorry, I was hasty and didn't pay attention. But VZW doubled their monthly insurance charge this last year. I firmly believe this is why.
    04-06-10 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD